Apostle's Fast

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
How long is Apostle's Fast this year? When does it start/end? What happens the day after it is over? Can we eat fish?
Thank you!!

Comments

• yea!!!!!
    apostles' fast!
    :)

the last fasting day is 11th july; 12th july is the apostles' feast.
    we can eat fish every day except wednesdays and fridays.
    we abstain from meat (except fish), eggs and dairy products.
    those who can, abstain from eating and drinking till around noon, longer (around 3 pm) on wednesdays and fridays.

many people do not abstain this much (myself included!) and it depends on the guidance of yr spiritual father. if u are under 16 or if u have not been in the habit of fasting regularly, a gradual start is advised.
    eg. i became orthodox a few years ago during saint mary's fast, but at that time was only abstaining from meat (not fish) and eating breakfast early in the morning. by then i had been fasting on and off for a few years, but had not quite got the hang of it.

on the apostles' feast, we commemorate the martyrdom of saints peter and paul and celebrate the sacrificial life the apostles lived so that we could have the good news of Jesus Christ handed down to us. those of us who are not working can go to liturgy and we can eat all foods.
    like any feast, eating until u feel sick is not recommended!
    ;)

during the fast, it is good to read the book of acts (if u read 1 chapter a day, u can read it and a few chapters of romans before the end of the fast) and pray for God to give u opportunities and the wisdom to share your faith.
    may God grant us a peaceful and spiritual fast, and may He also provide a wise and strong, kind shepherd for His coptic church.
    :)
  • sorry, i forgot to say, we don't abstain from eating and drinking in the morning on saturdays and sundays (unless we are taking Holy Communion).
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13362.msg156344#msg156344 date=1338805471]
    sorry, i forgot to say, we don't abstain from eating and drinking in the morning on saturdays and sundays (unless we are taking Holy Communion).

And if we are taking Holy Communion on any day of the week, including Saturday and Sunday, we don't need to abstain from eating and drinking at all after the mass/liturgy
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=13362.msg156345#msg156345 date=1338807234]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13362.msg156344#msg156344 date=1338805471]
    sorry, i forgot to say, we don't abstain from eating and drinking in the morning on saturdays and sundays (unless we are taking Holy Communion).

And if we are taking Holy Communion on any day of the week, including Saturday and Sunday, we don't need to abstain from eating and drinking at all after the mass/liturgy

Actually I could be wrong
  • qawe, u are right. another thing i missed.
    u see, i try to simplify the fasting rules, but the problem is, they are not simple!
    ;)
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=13362.msg156329#msg156329 date=1338747944]
    How long is Apostle's Fast this year? When does it start/end? What happens the day after it is over? Can we eat fish?
    Thank you!!

The Apostle's Fast always begins the Monday after Pentecost and always ends on the Feast of St. Peter and St. Paul which is on July 12.  Fish is allowed during this fast.
  • Actually some people could go on fasting after the Liturgy finishes if they so choose and with the agreement of their FOC.. in such a case they don't drink water after the Liturgy...
    Oujai
  • I find that odd as fasting on a Sunday is forbidden by the canons, and fasting on a Saturday is forbidden other than on Holy Saturday.
  • My Priest has told us several times that it is wrong to fast after receiving the Holy Eucharist. Our Lord said "Can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast." Mark 2:19... You MUST break your fast after receiving the Holy Eucharist because you are celebrating the entry of our Lord into your body.
  • Dear Fr. Peter,
    I wasn't talking about Saturday or Sunday, but after Communion in general.
    Dear caji,
    It makes sense what your priest told you. This is what I learnt from the church. I guess if someone can provide any references, I'd be grateful
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • maybe ophadece is talking about hermit monks in the desert who have been vegan for >20 years and who eat twice a week, or something rare like that...

the only reason i know for continuing to fast after receiving Holy Communion is if u have to accompany the priest who is taking Holy Communion to a sick person who may be unconscious by the time u get there and thus unable to take communion and someone has to finish it and the priest can't finish it because he has drunk lots of water during the liturgy.
    not that i ever actually heard of it happening, but i suppose it could!

personally, i hope to take Holy Communion soon on a weekday, early in the morning, and will not attempt to fast any more after that.
    this has more to do with it being a good reason to have breakfast than with obeying canons though!
    ;)