In what instances can we sing the Seven tunes? Besides major feasts in matins.

2»

Comments

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13302.msg155591#msg155591 date=1337131986]
    Ask CIA when he is at the Convention, and let us know.

Or, I may have the chance to have him over for a day as I did last year (yes, I am showing off), and I will ask him--personally--and let everyone know.
    BTW, he is really a gracious and nice guy.  I just can't stand the cult that is wrapped around him.

P.S.:  When he came over, there were no cult members or friends over.  It was just a wonderful time talking about the history in the Era of Pope Shenouda--the three of us.  We did not talk chants or hymns.  I did not quiz him or pester him.  It was really nice to see the development of certain matters as a perspective from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.  We even discussed the differences in the making of different pastas.

P.S.S.:  Have I made you jealous yet, Minagir?

Well, if it makes you feel good, I am jealous too, very jealous indeed.
  • Minagir,

Your last statement is most true.

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13302.msg155611#msg155611 date=1337140175]
    Minagir,

Your last statement is most true.

so you will invite me?!
  • Minagir,

No.  No offense intended.

I like having quiet discussions with people such as CIA.  I also like to give them a chance to relax and be human for a split second, rather than having to be professorial or academic in every moment.  Moreover, the clicking of cameras and recording every comment gets to be a bit tiresome for such people in the Church.

When he came over last year, I just took one picture with him.  When he was at my friends house, there were over 10 cameras firing non-stop.
    At that particular meeting, funny thing is, we both went and hid in a corner room and talked about old times for over an hour and one half about old days.  No one was allowed into the conversation.  I certainly will not be repeating or sharing any of the details.  The other aspect of these conversations is not to repeat to the world every comment. 

Bottom line:  I don't like big scenes.  I am not going to be catering for 150 at my house (I'm poor, I can't afford it or want to deal with the incursion.)
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13302.msg155589#msg155589 date=1337126351]
    So,
    The psalmody of Ekladious Labib, the version i am looking at was printed 1908, it doesn't have any footnotes.
    The psalmody of Abouna Mina elmahalawee el baramousi, also printed 1908, it doesn't have any footnotes.
    The psalmody of Nahdet elkanaies, the version i am looking at was printed 1995, say what you said ILSM.
    The psalmody of Elbaramous, the newest version, which is also based on Abouna Mina elmahalawee version, says the seven ways are said only the feasts and on bright saturday they are said in the sameset up of paragraphs but in the annual tune.

one things that is different in both versions that include a footnote is that they say that the seven tunes are said in the Feasts of the Lords.....which really refers to all 14 feasts, minor and major.....atleast in our understanding today.

So the bottom line is we have 2 different forms of the rite established within the last 20 or 30 years. And before that we can assume that either the Seven tunes was never said or it was said in many festive occasions, include the Pentecostal 50 days. That gives us 3 different ways.

This is another example of another rite that is changing (for good reasons) that shows rites are not static. Many things we do today are very recent (not found in Ibn Kabar or any other 13th century manuscript), all illustrating applied anthropological and social economics at work.

I'm waiting to see what ILSM reports back from M. Ibrahim Ayad.

By the way, I was extremely impressed about his answers at last year's convention. When asked specific questions, he found a way to turn the conversation to Pope Shenouda - not as his boss, not as the "man with the master plan", not as the final word of ecclesiastical matters, but as the compassionate father. It takes a special frame of mind with extreme humility on M. Ibrahim's part to redirect questions and praises directed at him to the compassion of Pope Shenouda. I am extremely jealous too because the man who has a cult, is able to ground himself in Pope Shenouda's love. It was wonderful to watch him speak.
  • Hi, I just wanted to clarify something. I think the book that mentions that the seven tunes should be said on bright saturday is for sure an old book because the rites used be that bright saturday was a bridge between annual and feastal.But it has been changed a few years back, where now its a bridge between the sad and annual tune. Therefore, the seven tunes are not to be said but to say the mourning doxology in an annual tune.
  • I don't mean to switch topics but any updates on when Muallim Ibrahim Ayad will be arriving and when the convention will be? Those of that have to make arrangements would appreciate a bit of advanced notice. I also heard he would be arriving this week - any idea where he will be praying on Saturday and Sunday?
  • [quote author=SWMSANMG link=topic=13302.msg155645#msg155645 date=1337217422]
    I don't mean to switch topics but any updates on when Muallim Ibrahim Ayad will be arriving and when the convention will be? Those of that have to make arrangements would appreciate a bit of advanced notice. I also heard he would be arriving this week - any idea where he will be praying on Saturday and Sunday?
    He just arrived but I'm not where exactly he will be praying.
  • [quote author=SWMSANMG link=topic=13302.msg155645#msg155645 date=1337217422]
    I don't mean to switch topics but any updates on when Muallim Ibrahim Ayad will be arriving and when the convention will be? Those of that have to make arrangements would appreciate a bit of advanced notice. I also heard he would be arriving this week - any idea where he will be praying on Saturday and Sunday?

I normally help in the convention in a way or another. so whenever i hear any news, i'll post them.
  • Minagir is too modest.  He is the man of the hour, the half hour, and the quarter hour, but not the five minute man.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13302.msg155658#msg155658 date=1337219094]
    [quote author=SWMSANMG link=topic=13302.msg155645#msg155645 date=1337217422]

I normally help in the convention in a way or another. so whenever i hear any news, i'll post them.

So I hav a confirmation that m Ibrahim is here in the states but I am not aware of where he'll be in the next couple of days.
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=13302.msg155496#msg155496 date=1336961852]
    [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=13302.msg155491#msg155491 date=1336956063]
    I personally have never heard that you can sing them in the 50s. its only for the three major nightly feasts
    Christmas, Easter, and what else?

I don't understand question
  • [quote author=daffodil1003 link=topic=13302.msg156505#msg156505 date=1339211413]
    [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=13302.msg155496#msg155496 date=1336961852]
    [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=13302.msg155491#msg155491 date=1336956063]
    I personally have never heard that you can sing them in the 50s. its only for the three major nightly feasts
    Christmas, Easter, and what else?

I don't understand question

I don't understand what you're selling.