nead help with this verse matthew 14:2

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
and said this is John the babtist; he is risen from the dead,and therefore these powers are at work in him. who was risen from the dead ?? and what powers ?? i dont understand who it was talking about

Comments

• [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13096.msg153875#msg153875 date=1332991691]
    and said this is John the babtist; he is risen from the dead,and therefore these powers are at work in him. who was risen from the dead ?? and what powers ?? i dont understand who it was talking about

Forgive me, this quote is taken entirely out of context.

This quote is part of a larger story. What happened was Herod married his brother's wife, which is clearly wrong. John the Baptist objected clearly and very loudly, and so he was put in prison. During one night, while he was drinking, Herod told his wife's daughter that he would give her anything if she danced for him. After dancing, she asked for the head of John the Baptist, and it was given to her.

Later, Herod heard of Our Lord Jesus Christ and his power, and said the verse you are questioning about. "Now King Herod heard of Him, for His name had become well known. And he said, "John the Baptist is risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him. Others said, "It is Elijah." And others said, "It is the Prophet, or like one of the prophets. But when Herod heard, he said, "This is John, whom I beheaded; he has been raised from the dead!"

As you can see, Herod lived his life in fear of John the Baptist, even after he beheaded him. Guilt goes a long way.
  • thanks christ for life  :)