Just a simple question.

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,

I have heard recently from someone at church that if you give God something of yours fully (such as: your time, the first of anything), it will be blessed abunduntly.

Does this condition include everything? Even such a small thing like a notebook or thoughts or my eyes even? How does that work?

Thanks
Peace †

Comments

• God needs nothing. Therefor he cannot be obligated by our gifts as the pagan gods.  We are to learn to put off the old man and put on the new. If we cling to the things of the flesh and of things of this earth they ensnare us. Giving them wholly to God blesses us because we are no longer ensnared by them.

Giving all for the purpose to manipulate God gains nothing, giving all because all we have is seen as nothing compared to what we have in Christ is it's own reward. God knows the heart.
  • Thank you for your response.
    But that's not what I meant. I am asking of the positive aspects. I know we are sinners and dust and God has created us and he is our master and God doesn't need anything from us, but we need him and everything, but I was asking something completely different.

I have read a post on here that talks about the poster spending every spare second at church, and despite not using much effort in his studies, he was able to maintain good scores.
    I'm assuming: because this young man gave God his time, God blessed his time in other ways.

So is this a misconception or is it true that whatever you give to God, he will bless it?

Peace †
  • It is true that God gives abundantly to those who give him more. It is also true that God does not need us, we need him. It is also true as Splendor has said that the intention of giving to God should not be to receive rewards or benefits, but simply to give because we love God and tithing is also in a way a form of worship of God.

Tithing is the only thing that God allows us to test him on.

He says,

"'Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
    That there may be food in My house,
    And try Me now in this,'
    Says the Lord of hosts,
    'If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
    And pour out for you such blessing
    That there will not be room enough to receive it' (Malachi 3:10."

Time, money, service, etc. are all proper forms to tithe God. It is not a requirement because God needs your tithe; It is a requirement because it helps us grow spiritually. God asks us to test Him in this way only. The first tithe I gave to the church, I was blessed with a brand new job and a brand new way of life. In this way, because I tithed in order to serve God and with a heart not expecting a reward (the reward itself is in giving to God), I received an unexpected reward.

Tithing should not be done because you want to receive blessings. Tithing should only be done because you want to sacrifice to God a portion of your time, money, etc., as a Christian duty to our Lord and Savior. Tithing is a privilege, not a right. In the end, the act of giving to others itself is more beneficial than any reward you receive. You will feel it. You will know it. You will think to yourself, "God, I feel good for sacrificing a fraction of what you sacrifice for me. Help me to sacrifice more because your Love is all that I need; neither my time, money, etc., compare to the love I have for You and You for me."

Keeping all this in mind, I suggest talking with your Father of Confession. There are many ways to tithe and your spiritual Father will tell you or help you set up something.

And don't think that if you are poor you can't tithe; Look at the widow with the two mites and how the others laughed at her for giving two mites only to God. But God knows our heart and he knows that her donation was all that she had and for that, her heart was pure and her sacrifice was more than worthy.

And do not let pride enter your heart when you tithe neither let your heart expectant of anything in return. Give everything, and expect nothing; For any blessing you receive on this earth is nothing compared to the glorious eternity you will have with Our Father who is in Heaven.