Howdy, Stranger!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Categories
- All Categories 13.8K
- General Category 10.9K
- General Announcements 184
- Faith Issues 3.4K
- Coptic Orthodox Church 2.5K
- Personal Issues 1.4K
- Prayer Requests 426
- Random Issues 1.8K
- Introductions 295
- Non-Orthodox Inquiries 232
- Youth Corner 606
- Hymns 2.6K
- Hymns Discussion 2.6K
- Technicial Difficulties 368
- Technical Topics 368
Date of Christmas This Year
So I heard this year 29 Kiahk is actually January 8? And that this is happening because next year is a leap year? How does the extra day next year affect the date for Christmas this year? Also are most churches still celebrating it on January 7?


Comments
So I heard this year 29 Kiahk is actually January 8? And that this is happening because next year is a leap year? How does the extra day next year affect the date for Christmas this year? Also are most churches still celebrating it on January 7?
it doesn't. the Feast will still be celebrated Jan 7. the only differnce is that if there is a liturgy on the the 8th, which i think there will be this yr since it's a sunday, that is liturgy will be identical to the feast liturgy done on the eve of the 7th (friday nit)
Are there 29 or 30 days in kiahk? Toba starts jan 9
each coptic month has 30 days except the last one, the little month that can be 5 days or 6.
[quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12627.msg148224#msg148224 date=1322695440]
Are there 29 or 30 days in kiahk? Toba starts jan 9
each coptic month has 30 days except the last one, the little month that can be 5 days or 6.
So does that mean it is Jan. 8 this year?
[quote author=servant33 link=topic=12627.msg148222#msg148222 date=1322694842]
So I heard this year 29 Kiahk is actually January 8? And that this is happening because next year is a leap year? How does the extra day next year affect the date for Christmas this year? Also are most churches still celebrating it on January 7?
it doesn't. the Feast will still be celebrated Jan 7. the only differnce is that if there is a liturgy on the the 8th, which i think there will be this yr since it's a sunday, that is liturgy will be identical to the feast liturgy done on the eve of the 7th (friday nit)
[quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12627.msg148226#msg148226 date=1322696125]
[quote author=servant33 link=topic=12627.msg148222#msg148222 date=1322694842]
So I heard this year 29 Kiahk is actually January 8? And that this is happening because next year is a leap year? How does the extra day next year affect the date for Christmas this year? Also are most churches still celebrating it on January 7?
it doesn't. the Feast will still be celebrated Jan 7. the only differnce is that if there is a liturgy on the the 8th, which i think there will be this yr since it's a sunday, that is liturgy will be identical to the feast liturgy done on the eve of the 7th (friday nit)
oops didnt see that post hehe
So all churches have to celebrate both Jan 7th and Jan 8th on Coptic leap years. (Although I think most people will have meat-induced lethargy and comatosity and not wake up for Jan 8th).
I officially apologizing for plagiarizing Mina. He came up with most of that information on another Coptic forum website that is 11 letters long and ends with .net but shall remain nameless. I just added the important stuff. ;D
i wasn't mad....i am happy. you added great info. btw, i actually think i was a little serious in what i said there because when this happened 4 yrs ago and the same question was asked by everyone, people started to criticize what was said even thoo this change of rite is not my 'opinion' but the Church's rite and ruling.
(Although I think most people will have meat-induced lethargy and comatosity and not wake up for Jan 8th).
Why do adults have the habit of making up words? As if the English language isn't hard enough. ::)
So I have a question, do we break our fast January 8th? I don't know if I can delay my fasting schedule by one day... it's risky and might throw my body into shock.
but i suppose it will have to be a short, quick breakfast in order to fast again for liturgy on 8th!
maybe not a bad thing...
;)
[quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12627.msg148236#msg148236 date=1322700528]
(Although I think most people will have meat-induced lethargy and comatosity and not wake up for Jan 8th).
Why do adults have the habit of making up words? As if the English language isn't hard enough. ::)
So I have a question, do we break our fast January 8th? I don't know if I can delay my fasting schedule by one day... it's risky and might throw my body into shock.
I remember once in high school, my friend literally couldn't give up pepperoni pizza. First off: It's one day from the whole week. 2nd: You can still eat the pizza, just no pepperoni!...Roman Catholics
What's that gotta do with my post?