What is the corect way of saying annual psalm 150?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi All,

What is the correct way of saying the Annual Psalm 150? I listened to all sources & all of them say it differently during the verses. I listed to HICS, Cantor Ibrahim Ayad, Cantor Gad Lewis, Cantor Tawfik Yousef, Cantor Zaher Andrawes, Wagdi Bishara, & Albair & each one of them says it in a different way during the verses. Does anyone know where I can find a recording for Cantor Mikhaeel?

Comments

• Christ400,

I am one of the deacons of Albair's HCOC choir, so my response may be a little biased. However, Albair's main mission is to trace a hymn back to its origins, and most specifically to Mllm. Mikhail the Great. At times, this is not possible. Having students like Mllm. Sadek, Mllm. Farag and the like, he may not have himself recorded a hymn, but taught it to one of his disciples who then recorded it. Although I do not know exactly about this hymns, you can be sure that the way Albair teaches a hymn is only done after thorough research and attempts at reaching the most ancient and dependable source. I will ask him whether he has an actual source for it, but until  then, you can be almost certain that the the way Albair says this hymn is correct. I actually have a feeling as to which point of discrepancy you may be referring to. I will get back to you ASAP.

Intensely pray for me,

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I presume we're talking about annual psalm 150. The correct way is HICS. The longer version is a stretch that is not even fitted rightly on the annual tune.. that's why you get everybody doing it their own way!
    Oujai
  • i donno wat you guys are taking about. the tarkeeb of the tune on the words, in my definition of hymns, is fine among different cantors.