Need Prayer and help concerning a situation in school

edited September 2011 in Personal Issues
I am talking a neurology class which is really difficult and we only have one exam which is cumulative. The professor posts the exam online and tells us to be honest and take it "on our honor" at home. The problem is that people in class take it together and use the book. (We had her for other classes and that is what they did)

During her past exams from her other classes, I took the exam on my own but I had to open the book because her exams were really heard. I do feel guilty for opening the book and I don't want to do that anymore But the class that is ahead of us tells us that it is impossible to pass this test without using the book. She uses 3 books for the class and she gets questions from detailed parts in the book.

It is not fair that people in class take it together and end up doing well. She ends up not curving the grades because some people do really well while me and my friends who decided to take it on our own don't do that well in her exams.

Anyway, I don't want to cheat and use the book in this up coming exam but I know that it is not possible from me to pass it without using the book and I don't know what to do. I feel like I have to chose between God and school (sin vs doing the right thing). I am really worried.

We talked with another professor who was co teaching the class with her from one of our previous classes, and she told us that it was okay for us to use the book; however, they say that you should not use the book when giving directions on how to take the test. So they tell you not to use the book but they know that it is hard to pass the exam without using the book. It is kind-off complicated. Anyway, I am soo tired of dealing with this professors exams and I don't know what to do. Please pray for me to do the right thing and at the same time pass the class.

Sorry for the long post. I hope what I wrote makes sense. Thank you for reading it. Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.  Thanks

Comments

• If the sub teacher told you you could use it, then I guess you can. What is this, Naruto (any manga readers here?)? Trying to make you cheat? lol
  • [quote author=liftmyheart link=topic=12400.msg145294#msg145294 date=1317171331]
    If the sub teacher told you you could use it, then I guess you can. What is this, Naruto (any manga readers here?)? Trying to make you cheat? lol

myanimelist
  • Can you please not make fun of my question. I am trying to do the right thing and I came here for guidance.
  • Do not be overly righteous lest you destroy yourself. Tell me what will be the benefit in you failing due to your scruples?
    if there is any type of benefit in not using the book then don't use the book
    if the situation is fair and you don't need the book then don't use it
    If you are lazy and you want an easy way out so you want to cheat don't use it
    if you are working hard but you know it still might be impossible to pass without the book use it
    if you may get caught dont use it
    if you will feel too guilty about it and can not move on with your life dont use it
    if your studies will take you further from God and serving him then perhaps it is lesson for you to serve God
    noone should ever cross the rules of college if there is a chance of getting caught and getting in trouble.
  • Hello,

This is a tough situation. I'm a student as well and this kind of stuff is common.

Your professor is facing pressure from her superiors to make these rules. The "co-professor" (or TA?) is usually more lax and therefore you can listen to them.

I'm curious as to what other people will have to say as well.

Good luck!

• I see things that when I have very little chose and I,m desperate in a situation then I might do it full in the mind that I'm using unrighteous mamman. I'm doing something that will see me not defeated, losing hope. Teachers are trying to develop skills so you should know what your learning inside out.