Bright Saturday Additions

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Why do we add parts to different hymns during Bright Saturday? For example, Evlogite for the third hoos. Also, can we sing the hymns with the additions on during a regular tasbeha?

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12065.msg143131#msg143131 date=1313256031]
    Why do we add parts to different hymns during Bright Saturday? For example, Evlogite for the third hoos. Also, can we sing the hymns with the additions on during a regular tasbeha?

why? because that is the specific rite of that day.
    can you say it all the time??.....NO!!! absolutely not. 
  • To the first question I cannot give an answer. Someone more knowledgeable.
    To the second, my answer is no. The Church puts nothing for no reason. There is a very good reason behind every piece of rituals we have, so why ornament already set rituals with additions?
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • Bright Saturday is a vigil that according to the original right starts at midnight and ends before sunset (around 5:00 pm). So to cover this time, the Church put special hymns, additions to the tasbeha.

As to saying these additions (like awlojida [evlogite]) on any other day, I see no problem so long as these additions are ok on that day and has no specific reference to Bright Saturday.

With that said, I have to say that the tune of the tasbeha on Bright Saturday is different than regular days through which it give the day its special meaning.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12065.msg143133#msg143133 date=1313258225]
    To the first question I cannot give an answer. Someone more knowledgeable.
    To the second, my answer is no. The Church puts nothing for no reason. There is a very good reason behind every piece of rituals we have, so why ornament already set rituals with additions?
    Oujai qen `P[C

Your post count says "leet". That's weird i have never seen that, i think it's a bug or something.
  • I apologize for sounding ignorant but I want to understand.

Let's take Evlogite. It means "Praise Him, glorify Him, and exalt Him, His mercy is forever. For He is praised, glorified, and exalted above the ages, and His mercy is forever." It isn't "Hail to the cross" or "Hossanna in the highest" or "He was buried", it is more or less neutral since it is saying praise God.  So why can't we sing hymns like this year round? Isn't our goal to praise God? I understand that singing anything that starts with "Tote Ron avmo enrashi" in the middle of Lent or "Share efnoti" in the middle of Kiahk is wron but Evlogite is so beautiful and just amazing and you only sing it once, 15 minutes our of the whole year. I hope you understand what I mean. I really am not thinking about going against church rites or anything, I just like to understand why certain things aren't done.
  • I don't think you are ignorant....i just think that you don't know much hymns that when you learn somthing so small yet beautiful and it is said one time, you than want to say it ALL the time instead of learning other things.

The rite is clear. We follow it.
  • Thanks for drawing my attention geomike. I don't know. If it continues I'll contact the moderators, Mina, or FR. Peter... thanks again
    Oujai
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12065.msg143147#msg143147 date=1313290657]
    I apologize for sounding ignorant but I want to understand.

Let's take Evlogite. It means "Praise Him, glorify Him, and exalt Him, His mercy is forever. For He is praised, glorified, and exalted above the ages, and His mercy is forever." It isn't "Hail to the cross" or "Hossanna in the highest" or "He was buried", it is more or less neutral since it is saying praise God.  So why can't we sing hymns like this year round? Isn't our goal to praise God? I understand that singing anything that starts with "Tote Ron avmo enrashi" in the middle of Lent or "Share efnoti" in the middle of Kiahk is wron but Evlogite is so beautiful and just amazing and you only sing it once, 15 minutes our of the whole year. I hope you understand what I mean. I really am not thinking about going against church rites or anything, I just like to understand why certain things aren't done.

There is nothing wrong with singing them at home, with family, at a youth meeting, or whatever. But when you are praying the Tasbeha, follow the appropriate rites for the season. It avoids confusion and promotes harmony. Imagine if everyone made their own "Tasbeha stew" and said whatever hymns they wanted and felt were appropriate. We could never go to another church and pray in harmony and we would lose the unity which is most important.

If anything, let the beautiful and unique hymns of Bright Saturday encourage you to go to church when all you want to do is sleep  ;)

• So is it wrong to sing a Kiahk hymn during Saint Mary's Fast? For example, O MARY or Your love embraced me?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12065.msg143167#msg143167 date=1313377792]
    So is it wrong to sing a Kiahk hymn during Saint Mary's Fast? For example, O MARY or Your love embraced me?

well those are arabic madaieh rather than hymns......you can even skip them if you choose to.
    despite that, i personally believe they should not be sung at any other time. people are just tooo lazy to spend some time on working on translating more hymns and psalies that are supposed to be said on specific occasions. for example, i just found another saint Mary hymn that we began saying. there is also another one that i would need to translate to begin saying.......the bottom line is, people's laziness is the obstacle here.