What does this mean

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Matthew 23:9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
does this mean that we shouldnt call our priests abouna or father, or our actual dads; dad?

i know im taking this too literal, im just confused.

Comments

• The answer, simply, is NO. That is interpreting the verse in the wrong way (as the protestants do). From what I understand Christ was speaking to His disciples who would become the fathers of the church, hence they should call no man father...

I strongly urge you to listen to this great explanation by Fr. Thomas Hopko: http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/call_no_man_father

It will clear up any confusion.
  • “You shall have no other gods before Me." Exodus 20:3

I think its meant to mean not perceiving someone as a father figure in the respect of the way we call upon Jesus Christ as our one and only Father. I once read a contemplation on this commandment that said even giving all of one's commitment and love to a husband or wife is an example of idolatry. You should give everyone and everything their due respect and love but ultimately saving your best efforts for your Father.

May you glorify His Holy name in all that you do. Please pray for me.
  • Sure we call our actual dads Dad, and our fathers in the church fathers.
    Jesus when he said these words was teaching his servants to accept the faith teaching only from fathers within Christ who are called from the Holy Spirit of God.

[Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ] Math. 23:9-10
    Lord Jesus Christ is talking here about the spiritual fatherhood .. and teach the his disciples not to talk faith from anyone except He.
    and also Lord Jesus Christ teach us not to talk faith from anyone away from Christ as he is our Great Father and Teacher.

See also these verses :
    + For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.  1 Corinthians 4: 15

+ My little children 1 John 2 :1 

+ teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age
    [ Math 28 : 20 ]

so u see that Christ Lord Himself send His disciples as fathers to the people ..
    So we Accept fathers only send and called from the God Christ Himself.