3 days and 3 nights

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi Guys,

I am looking for an explanation of the meaning of 3 days and nights which Christ spends in the belly of the earth.

If we do the calculation according to our modern calendar it comes up to be 3 days and 2 nights only.

God bless,

LiD

Comments

• I don't recall hearing 3 nights. I think you mean Jonah?
  • the response of psalm 150 that is sung in Jonah's fast:
    "Jonah in the belly of the whale, likewise Christ in the tomb for three days."

it's more about symbolism.
  • Days were measured(and still are in the church) from sunset to sunset.
  • You have to think like a lawyer.  It is three calendar days that registered:  Fri., Sat., Sun.
  • calender of  jewish consider the day less than the normal day hours we know at this time . it is smaller than 24 hours. but actually i do not know how many hours it is

• Jonah 1:17 NKJV
    Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Matthew 12:40 NKJV
    For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

to add to what is said, if part of the day passes, it is considered that a full day is passed.....that includes the night.
  • What is the reason for part of a day passing constituting a full day?  I thought that Christ was referring to the duration that He was in the tomb? Are there other examples of this occurring in scripture?