Girls in the Altar

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I know that in the old testament, women were not allowed in the altar. Since we are in the new testament, why aren't women allowed in the altar? I've heard that during their period they are "un-pure" but obviously God created them that way and he wouldn't make something un-pure...

Comments

• The service of the altar belongs to men. God created men and women with equal value but with different roles and responsibilities. We have discussed this recently on the forum.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10585.msg128899#msg128899 date=1296397775]
    The service of the altar belongs to men. God created men and women with equal value but with different roles and responsibilities. We have discussed this recently on the forum.

But I think rafikwa was referring to just entering the altar, not necessarily serving in it. one of the "churches" in my church has 2 altars consecrated and the last one on the woman's side not consecrated so woman can sit in there and pray and take communion in there. but when we have rare liturgies in there with "the holy plank" (thats what i call it, i have no idea what its called ;D) they cannot enter it. why is that?
  • No one should enter the Altar unless they have business there. Even if someone is a deacon they should not enter the Altar unless they have business there.

Father Peter
  • Yes i was refering to just entering the altar. I personally feel like it's a better place to pray at because it's quiet and peaceful. Why wouldn't girls be allowed there? I can think of many examples where it seems to me that men and women are not equal. Communion for example; I know that girls can't take communion during their period because they are considered un-pure I guess during this time. What did they do to not be allowed to take communion?!
    Obviously I am not a girl but I was wondering because I feel bad for them sometimes... Thanks
  • [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10585.msg128967#msg128967 date=1296430667]
    Yes i was refering to just entering the altar. I personally feel like it's a better place to pray at because it's quiet and peaceful. Why wouldn't girls be allowed there? I can think of many examples where it seems to me that men and women are not equal. Communion for example; I know that girls can't take communion during their period because they are considered un-pure I guess during this time. What did they do to not be allowed to take communion?!
    Obviously I am not a girl but I was wondering because I feel bad for them sometimes... Thanks

GIRLS ARE NOT UNCLEAN WHEN THEY ARE ON THEIR PERIOD.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT, YOU MIGHT AS WELL SAY MEN ARE MORE UNCLEAN.
  • [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10585.msg128967#msg128967 date=1296430667]
    Yes i was refering to just entering the altar. I personally feel like it's a better place to pray at because it's quiet and peaceful. Why wouldn't girls be allowed there? I can think of many examples where it seems to me that men and women are not equal. Communion for example; I know that girls can't take communion during their period because they are considered un-pure I guess during this time. What did they do to not be allowed to take communion?!

consider what Fr. Peter said........"No one is allowed in the [sanctuary] unless they have business there." The "sanctuary" the whole place--the "hekal". The "altar" is the table itself-- the "mazbah"
    In your church, i am sure the sanctuary is actually extended to have men and women sides and not have consecrated altars there. That was not always the case. that is just something keda to spoil people a little (as i always say).
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10585.msg128968#msg128968 date=1296430858]
    [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10585.msg128967#msg128967 date=1296430667]

GIRLS ARE NOT UNCLEAN WHEN THEY ARE ON THEIR PERIOD.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT, YOU MIGHT AS WELL SAY MEN ARE MORE UNCLEAN.

hehe.....ouch. i was waiting for a girl to say that....but come on GOdlovesme....let it go just this time. rafikwa is still new to the forum and he haven't read much of the posts yet.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10585.msg128970#msg128970 date=1296431220]
    [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10585.msg128968#msg128968 date=1296430858]
    [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10585.msg128967#msg128967 date=1296430667]

hehe.....ouch. i was waiting for a girl to say that....but come on GOdlovesme....let it go just this time. rafikwa is still new to the forum and he haven't read much of the posts yet.

Lol 7ader...I will let it go only this once.
  • I was told that girls aren't allowed to take communion during that time of the month... CHILL! I didn't mean it in an offensive way... What I meant by the altar is the area behind the 7egab.

• [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10585.msg128974#msg128974 date=1296432591]
    I was told that girls aren't allowed to take communion during that time of the month... CHILL! I didn't mean it in an offensive way...

Hmm...just watch the words you use...because really I doubt any girl would not be offended when you call her unclean while she's on her period.  Try doing that and let me know what happens (if you live to tell of the ensuing reaction).
  • lol i was talking to a girl and she said that the church doesn't allow her to take communion for purity issue  :D That's why I felt bad for her.
    Soooo, can I get an answer now for why they can't take communion during their period or go in the hekal under any circumstances???
  • I can tell you that the same rule goes for men who have ejaculated that day... weather by nocturnal emission or by other means. Why, however I don't know.
  • Father Peter is currently working on the perfect response ever. You'll have to wait a bit though.

In the meantime, read the responses from here: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,9640.0.html
  • Is Father Peter still working on his comment on that old post that you sent me?? That's intense!!
  • Intense, indeed.

God bless his service.
  • Like Fr. Peter said men and women have different roles. You dont see men dying to be able to have children, its the role of the woman.