God's Will?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi Everyone...
There are many paths we can take with our life, but how can we tell if it is God's will or our own will? How do we know if its not God's will or if God just wants us to try harder?

Comments

• I might be wrong on this but i think if it's God's will then something good will come out of it...like maybe u have two choices and u want to know which one is the right one and which one is the one that God want u to go through...and then u choose what ur mind tell u that something good will come out of it...so that's God's will...but if u choose the other one that might not result in something good...then I guess this is ur will and not God's...
    Another thing, I think that whatever we do in our life, God has a plan for all of us...like we might choose the wrong path and God wouldn't end it or get us of tht path...because He might have a reaon for us to go into that path and learn something good from it...I guess wut I am saying is tht everything happens for a reason
    I don't think i made any sense but i hope u are getting wut i am saying...lol
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • Excellent question daughteroflight - it really made me think. Here is my humble answer:

I think most of us have sought to discern God's will over many issues in our life, from the trivial to the most significant, but we forget the bigger picture of what God's ultimate will really is: To have a relationship with us, that we may be conformed to the image of His Son.

In every aspect of our lives, our social life, our area of work, our family life etc. etc. God plans it so that this ultimate goal may be achieved. We have to remember something, and that is God is more concerned about our journey rather than our destination. God uses our journey, full of decision making , according to His will to ultimately transform us into the likeness of His Son. So for example, God may lead a student to an engineering course rather than the law course he always wanted - for God is not ultimately concerned with whether this student becomes an engineer or a lawyer, but rather God knows that the journey this student will take in his engineering course - the things he learns, the people he meets, the places it takes him etc etc will ultimately work towards His ultimate goal. In the Kingdom of God, the journey may be the very purpose, and as hard as it is to fathom, the final direction we take may not even matter at all. The kingdom of heaven has a much radically different perspective for us, than the results-oriented-driven society we live in.

As God says: Deuteronomy 29:29 "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."

The Word of God clearly tell us very simply, how we can be assured that God's will is taking place in our lives: Trust and Love - the two most important aspects of any relationship.

1) Love:

Deuteronomy 6:5 "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."

Once we perfect this, St Paul tells us:

Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. "

2) Trust:

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

It's important for us to grasp and settle matters between ourselves and God before we go on to consider trivial matters of our own life such as our earthly relationships and issues. God sent His only begotten Son to purchase us with His own precious Blood. We are purchased with a price - an infinitely costly price at that. Christ The reason that its important for us to yield to this matter is because, when we do so, God will fulfill every desire that He's placed in our hearts.

We must begin with God, since the answers to every step lie in Him.

Matthew 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. "

Hope this helps.

• i think its more that god knows
    his will is good
    to convince ourselves that our actions are gods will is false.
    to believ that whatever happens to us, is gods will
    god gave mankind freewill, and so that can offer bad and good, this means that gods will is what occurs not what we do.

i could be wrong thu, plz correct me anyone, feel free ;D
  • Awad:

God does not control our actions, but he can control our circumstances and other factors which are beyond what our own free will can control. God can also place desires in our heart, move us by His Spirit, urge our minds, yet ofcourse ultimately it is our choice whether or not we accept His will, and give it pre-eminence over our own.

Christ gave us a very good example in the Bible. Before being delievered for crucifixion, He prayed to the Father saying "If it is possible let this cup pass from me, but not as I will, but as you will." Christ in His divinity had one will with the Father, and in His humanity he had a distinct human will. Though Christ in His humanity, expressed His desire that there be some possible way He should escape the suffering, He conformed His human will to the Fathers will, in absolute obedience as St Paul speaks in Phillipians 2:5-8. We likewise, pray the "Our Father" asking, "thy will be done".

We can discern God's will, as i discussed in my previous post - it is then up to us to submit our own free wills to His good will, for God compels no one, nor does He impose His will upon anyone who is not willing to receive and benefit from it.
  • Thank you all for your replies. I really like what Iqbal said, "God is more concerned about our journey rather than our destination." I never really thought if it that way and the way you explained it.

[quote author=awad link=board=1;threadid=1015;start=0#msg17530 date=1105044184]
    i think its more that god knows
    his will is good
    to convince ourselves that our actions are gods will is false.
    to believ that whatever happens to us, is gods will
    god gave mankind freewill, and so that can offer bad and good, this means that gods will is what occurs not what we do.

i could be wrong thu, plz correct me anyone, feel free ;D

the thing is that we are not always sure of God's will. I want to do God's will but i dont necessarily know what it is. It seems as though either way can be God's will for me (in this certain situation) and good can come from either decision. Sometimes it seems as though God simplifies everything for you and you realize that that is God's will. Other times both paths are challenging and you are not exactly sure what to do.

I'm still not exactly sure what God's plan is for me, but im sure He will reveal it when the time comes and it will be for the best. Like Marianne87(my name is marian 2, i just spell it differently :)) said, everything happens for a reason.
    Please keep me in your prayers.