Friends and Feelings... Do They Mix?

Comments

• ASM, maybe ur friend u speak of is right...i mean, coming from female's perspective, i just find it a lot easier to have more guy friends just cuz they gossip less and therefore there is less temptation....i'm just a teenager now, and i know as i get older that will change, but for the time being thats how i see it
  • [quote author=mtm link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6054 date=1089090920]
    ASM, maybe ur friend u speak of is right...i mean, coming from female's perspective, i just find it a lot easier to have more guy friends just cuz they gossip less and therefore there is less temptation....i'm just a teenager now, and i know as i get older that will change, but for the time being thats how i see it

Fine fine fine i guess i cant make it a general statement... but in my friends case i think shes in denial about her true feelings and argues like you that its possible... but once again it was my fault for making this general assumption... u know what they say about assuming ;)

ASM
  • [quote author=ASM link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6057 date=1089091400]
    [quote author=mtm link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6054 date=1089090920]
    ASM, maybe ur friend u speak of is right...i mean, coming from female's perspective, i just find it a lot easier to have more guy friends just cuz they gossip less and therefore there is less temptation....i'm just a teenager now, and i know as i get older that will change, but for the time being thats how i see it

Fine fine fine i guess i cant make it a general statement... but in my friends case i think shes in denial about her true feelings and argues like you that its possible... but once again it was my fault for making this general assumption... u know what they say about assuming ;)

ASM

what do they say about assuming? maybe u can explain that to us :)

maybe ur friend is telling you the truth and u don't wanna listen...u just admitted that ur wrong and therefore ur friend is PROLLY just friends with this guy/girl
  • If you're not attracted to somebody physically then they gotta have the BOMB personality for u to develop feelings for them if it starts off as friends...

If theyre attractive in ur eyes and they have the bomb personality then yea its hard to stay just friends

I personally think everybody should be neutral with everybody, dont have a girl as ur best friend cause then once u throw in the best in front of it, it gets weird unless ur not physically attracted to them but then again even if ur not physically attracted u still might fall for their personality

Honestly, when ur married with a wife and kids are u still gonna have a girl as ur best friend???

i think it just takes a person to sit with themselves and see what their feelings for this "friend" really is cause if ur not attracted chances are the other person might be and then ud have a problem and people get hurt, just be careful its a sticky situation when it comes to girls and guys
  • [quote author=egytony link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6095 date=1089105392]Honestly, when ur married with a wife and kids are u still gonna have a girl as ur best friend???

You know, that's a very valid interesting point to introduce.

But don't you think that not socializing with girls, or having one as a close friend, will inhibit your skills when you go seeking for the right girl to marry?

All the Roman teachers: and the wise men of Antioch: assembled together in Caesarea: proclaiming the honor of Saint Mary.

- Chris
  • I have female friends and my girlfriend knows them. It gets kind of sticky is your friend only wants to know you and not your spouse, or if they don't like each other, who will you choose? If you've been friends for longer than you've been with your wife or something? I don't know, its kind of a Jerry Springer moment, and who wants to be a guest on Jerry Springer?
  • I think wouldn't be all that good to have anyone as a best friend other than your spouse, no matter the gender. I've never been married, but the way I see it, the human being that you marry is the human being you should be closest to.

Now if your second best friend is of the opposite sex, I don't think it necessarily has to be a problem. But that's just me.
  • [quote author=NettledCrown link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6110 date=1089152013]
    I think wouldn't be all that good to have anyone as a best friend other than your spouse, no matter the gender. I've never been married, but the way I see it, the human being that you marry is the human being you should be closest to.

Now if your second best friend is of the opposite sex, I don't think it necessarily has to be a problem. But that's just me.

lol i'm just curious....whats the difference between a best friend and a second best friend?
  • lol.

Who you call first to be your wingman. lol.
  • If you're not attracted to somebody physically then they gotta have the BOMB personality for u to develop feelings for them if it starts off as friends...
    --this comment made by egytony..

WOW... umm yea... and trust me it happens a lot! u dont need to be just physically attracted to a person, theres amny other aspects andit happens a lot... as i said.. ive seen both and in my case..its exactly how u described it.. no physical attraction watsoeverr

• [quote author=peet link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg5939 date=1089029932]
    hi ppl,

It is imoprtant, no, vital to grow up with friends from the opposite sex, it is important for developing your social skills especially in teen ages.
    If you grow up with them, you will understand them better and will not have such desire problems because you would be able to distinguish between friend and girlfriend, you will be more mature about the opposite sex.

First of all I agree with you peet with just only the first part, that it is important for developing social skills. I disagree strongly with the next part. Don't think because you've grown with them you won't have such desires......... that doesn't make sense. Desires come from inside the heart and so depends only on the person. I don't think that....... can't have friends from the opposite sex........ because you may (or may not) develop feelings etc and have desires etc etc. This is exactly like saying I'm not going to drive a car because I may kill someone. It all depends on the person. I think you can have a friend from the opposite sex... just as friends and not develop feeling for them... I'm a medical student and for the past 2 clinical years I have been working closely with my clinical partner (who happens to be a girl) for long hours and we are friends and colleages. I think we should have friends from the opposite sex to build a balanced personality. Desires are present in our life (for example I want something I don't have....... can be anything........ an object even) and the nature of these desires reflect whats inside our heart.

Fady
  • the nature of these desires reflect whats inside our heart.

i find this very interesting...could u explain some more :)
  • ok. my opinion. other sex friends is completely fine. even as good close friends. but never best friends. my church is always telling us that and i dont blame them. i know many "best friends" that ended up going out with each other and of course broke up later.
  • Hi guys,

I haven't been on in a while, I'm sorry I had to ruin it for you all. ;)

My personal feeling about having friends with the opposite sex is that you have to be very honest with your father in confession so that he can guide you and help you discern your feelings. There are a number of things we can do personally to discern feeling but these alone can still fail and the answer is that we need a father in confession who has experience in these areas to help us.

One of the things continually impressed upon me is that we can't use our own purity or avoidance from sin as an excuse not to love people however we also can't put ourselves in stituations where we are vulnerable in the name of love. As far as this goes, I personally fail in a major way.

God bless,

CS
  • [quote author=mtm link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6131 date=1089173804]

lol i'm just curious....whats the difference between a best friend and a second best friend?

It's just a matter of degree, I guess. But if your best friend is your spouse, there's most likely more to it than just a matter of degree. For example, you'd probably not make love with your second best friend but you would with your first best friend, assuming it's your spouse.

[quote author=egprincess link=board=1;threadid=410;start=30#msg6416 date=1089326540]
    ok. my opinion. other sex friends is completely fine. even as good close friends. but never best friends. my church is always telling us that and i dont blame them. i know many "best friends" that ended up going out with each other and of course broke up later.

My best friend from my college days is a chick. I never hooked up with her, though. And I get on well with her fiance too. There has never been a problem as far as one of us wanting to take it to the "next level", so to speak.
  • My best friend is a chick too!
  • To be honest, I have one guy best friend, and one gurl best friend. That way, depending on the situation, I always have someone to turn to in times of need, other than my parents, but in all honesty, I'm closer to my guy friend than my gurl one. We just seem to know eachother better.

sleepy
  • i have a few good male friends....but being egyptian and being a teenage girl its really hard to explain to the parents that...i know some ppl here are older and wiser and have been through it all already so i was wondering how u bring that up if ur going out with a group of frineds and there may be ppl of the opposite gender there too.......
  • just a group of us friend hanging out i don't know that works sometimes :)

• Me: (on the phone wid a gurl) So I was studying today and I discovered that biology is actually pretty fun blah blah blah

Mom: Mike, who u talking to?

Me: emmm, my best friend...

Mom: Oh really, who?

Me: Some1 you don't know..

Mom: oh really? what's their name..

Me: Their name is "DON"

Mom: O Ok..

(10 min later she hears a gurl laugh)

Mom: Mike ur lying to ur own mom, who were ya talking to??

Me: I was talking to "DON"

Mom: oh really, and is don a gurl or a guy?

Me: a gurl...

MOM: >:(THEN HER NAME IS NOT DON!!

Me: :-\Yes it is Mom, her name is DAWN, u just misheard me... :-\

lol

That;s what I advice every guy and gurl...

JK JK!

Mike

• [quote author=Wasim link=board=1;threadid=410;start=45#msg6546 date=1089437135]
    just a group of us friend hanging out i don't know that works sometimes :)

lol are u white?
    i need to give my parents names, parents names and their martial status, adresses, numbers, cell phone numbers, drivers names, model cars, license plates, eithnic backgroud, religion, age....and the list goes on
  • LOL!!!

That's hiliarious...

My mom asks too many question I start acting like a dumb monkey and she forgets about it..lol

Mike
  • shouldnt this be a beneficial post rather than how to lie to ur parents about talking to a guy or a girl?

your giving kids out there wrong ideas, promote telling the truth and being open about what u do so that God gives u the blessing of being simple and open about ur life

ive learned from experience lieing gets u no where and if ur not doing anything wrong by talking to "don" or "dawn" then why lie about it or try to hide the truth? if its just friends that is
    (we all know however its not just a friend, and thats why people lie to there parents about talking to "Don")

"There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed"
    ALWAYS ALWAYS remember that, and
    "Honor your Father and Mother for this is pleasing to the Lord"
  • too be absolutly honest with my experiance, u can have a friend from the oppostie sex with out having attractions, but its alot better if there egyptian coptic, cause to be serious the aussie chicks here in australia either want it all or nothing, the european/latino chicks just want it, and all the rest are lookin for it...
    sorry bit of a generalisation but thats my experiance, i have tonns of copticfriends that are girls, 2 really close ones, and ive had aussie female friends... etc they dont last, the copts r they way to go...
    here in australia even if ur bestest best friend was a girl, and she coptic, they wouldnt be able to go out for like to the movies for fun...
    hows it like in america, do guys go out with (coptic) girls just as friends??
    here parents dont allow it, its not even talked about...

everything i said happns 97% of the time here...
    other aussies on this site can bak me up.
  • lol guys its really not about where ur from a Christian is a Christian, and egyptians will always be egyptians
    america has the same things as australia that are basically the same things as europe people are people but with different accents (to some extent this is all true)
  • id like a second opinion on my previous post
  • ill give u a second opinion, half of the post didnt make sense, so alashan khatree use punctuation and some grammer cause ur junk was jus all over the place
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=410;start=45#msg6554 date=1089452214]
    too be absolutly honest with my experiance, u can have a friend from the oppostie sex with out having attractions, but its alot better if there egyptian coptic, cause to be serious the aussie chicks here in australia either want it all or nothing, the european/latino chicks just want it, and all the rest are lookin for it...
    sorry bit of a generalisation but thats my experiance, i have tonns of copticfriends that are girls, 2 really close ones, and ive had aussie female friends... etc they dont last, the copts r they way to go...
    here in australia even if ur bestest best friend was a girl, and she coptic, they wouldnt be able to go out for like to the movies for fun...
    hows it like in america, do guys go out with (coptic) girls just as friends??
    here parents dont allow it, its not even talked about...

everything i said happns 97% of the time here...
    other aussies on this site can bak me up.

where i live there is a small coptic orthodox population and therefore most of my friends are not copts. i know my parents prefer i hang out with church frineds rather then....well, anything else
    as for the generalizations u made...i think u went a little too far. i think some of those generalizations can be made about egyptian guys and girls too...u made copts sound flawless but i think we all know better than that...it doesn't matter what race or religion u r, there are gonna be good people and not so good people no matter what. i know a lot of egyptian guys that want it all or nothing too not just white guys, know what i'm sayin?
  • [quote author=egytony link=board=1;threadid=410;start=45#msg6566 date=1089474064]
    ill give u a second opinion, half of the post didnt make sense, so alashan khatree use punctuation and some grammer cause ur junk was jus all over the place

No offence but you shouldn't really talk about using grammer and punctuation, espeically if ur gonna type in slang.

ASM
  • lol....asm u kill me
    but no fighting plz....peace in the middle east..