Exclusive Interview with Cantor Ibrahim Ayad

Comments

• Mina, please, for the sake of Christ, try your best to put a recording on the net so that I can watch it. I really can't wait to see this interveiw , please try your best Mina
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11631.msg140084#msg140084 date=1308765948]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11631.msg140082#msg140082 date=1308765052]
    Who did the interview?

Mina Markos--deacon in Saint Mark's Jersey City.

The guy who conducted the interview seems familiar. Is your priest Abouna George and he has a son named Mina because I lived in NJ for a year and I remember this guy used to always "O Nim Nai."
  • is there a recording of the interview i missed it
  • The beginning was very, very interesting and I was watching it even though I didn't understand some of the Arabic. The anecdotes about our fathers the Popes and the other Cantors were all really interesting! What completely and totally killed it for me was when Ibrahim Ayad was asked about his engagement. It felt like that went on forever and it seemed quite personal...
  • [quote author=+ Keliny + link=topic=11631.msg140042#msg140042 date=1308691352]
    Why is it that many churches chant the him "Pi-ehmot ghar" regularly before the Pauline, when a bishop isnt there? Even though it is a papal hymn.

Its not a papal hymn. Its the annual response to the Pauline epistle and should be chanted every sunday regardless,(at least after the coptic, whether its before or after the arabic or english is debatable since the coptic is not chanted often). If you mean the great piehmot ghar than thats wrong.

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=11631.msg140048#msg140048 date=1308693596]
    Well that shouldn't happen dear Kallini. Why that question on Cantor Ibrahim's thread? Any connection?
    OUjai

Ophadece, what are you implying? Ibrahim Ayad is the popes deacon and serves in the Cathedral, obviously he is going to do things for the bishops and the pope who are present. It is not his fault people replicate what he does without consideration.
  • DEar jydeacon,
    Sorry my comments weren't helped by a question sounding more sarcastic than what I meant at all. You are right of course. However the reply to Kallini I disagree. It is a papal hymn in a sense, and is chanted only if the pope or a bishoP is present...
    Oujai
  • anyone got a recording yet? please anyone, we really want to watch or at least listen to it, so please place a recording for streaming or downloading
  • The link of where to go to watch the interview was not posted.  I couldn't watch the the interview live.  Is there anyway to watch the interview now?  Do you guys have it recorded? Thanks for the help!
  • Patience is a virtue.
  • I wish I have patience Mina  :D  :D :D :D
  • I just did the math. So basically, I turned it off 10 minutes before the interview ended, and in THOSE 10 minutes, they asked him our questions?!

I don't know what to say.
  • Ok, I figured out what to say: you guys make me sad.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=11631.msg140245#msg140245 date=1309047303]
    I just did the math. So basically, I turned it off 10 minutes before the interview ended, and in THOSE 10 minutes, they asked him our questions?!

I don't know what to say.

the last part are the questions = 30 mins.
    ALSOO, there were many questions answered within the interview itself. go learn the definition of "interview"
  • That was SOOO informative! Thank you so much guys and God bless all your efforts! ;D
  • Thanks to all who put that together. I just finished watching some of it.

If I might make one comment, CIA dominated that interview and dodged most of the tough questions. . .he is just great on the spot.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11631.msg140370#msg140370 date=1309246709]
    Thanks to all who put that together. I just finished watching some of it.

If I might make one comment, CIA dominated that interview and dodged most of the tough questions. . .he is just great on the spot.

Which questions do you think he dodged?
  • I didn't see that last 30 minutes, Mina. My deepest apologies.

• Regarding a few of things CIA stated in the interview, he said that in part 2 that he chanted the exposition for the Great Lent in front of the altar and Pope Cyril VI gave him the cloth he wore on his head to resemble the cloth Moses wore when he would speak with God on Mount Sinai. I was wondering what that hymn is and if there are any recordings of it (CIA said that it was a long lahn).

Also, someone asked about "Chioni" and he said that its lahn is based on "Tarh El Fa3la." Does anyone have a recording of "Tarh El Fa3la?" Thanks a lot.
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=11631.msg140373#msg140373 date=1309249071]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11631.msg140370#msg140370 date=1309246709]
    Thanks to all who put that together. I just finished watching some of it.

Which questions do you think he dodged?

I skimmed through the first 3 parts and watched the last video. But the questions about changes he has made in hymns were not adequately answered and the interviewer did not really pressure him (he actually seemed nervous to do so). CIA basically shaped the questions how he pleased. He advertised his new albums, told long stories, told jokes, but wasn't pushed into addressing many people's concerns (which are not limited to pronunciation).
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=11631.msg140428#msg140428 date=1309303566]
    Regarding a few of things CIA stated in the interview, he said that in part 2 that he chanted the exposition for the Great Lent in front of the altar and Pope Cyril VI gave him the cloth he wore on his head to resemble the cloth Moses wore when he would speak with God on Mount Sinai. I was wondering what that hymn is and if there are any recordings of it (CIA said that it was a long lahn).
    the hymn is the long INTRO to watos tarh that is originally recorded with the kiahk set and is to be said at that time. i don't think he said that he chanted it in lent......even thoo you can if you choose.
    recording: http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns/Fasts/Nativity/Higher_Institute_of_Coptic_Studies/Part_1/15.Introduction_Exposition.1460.mp3

Also, someone asked about "Chioni" and he said that its lahn is based on "Tarh El Fa3la." Does anyone have a recording of "Tarh El Fa3la?" Thanks a lot.

tarh el-fa3la: http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Hymns/Fasts/Nativity/Higher_Institute_of_Coptic_Studies/Part_3.html (go to "Unknown"--it is tarh el-fa3ala) text: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/2460
    what cantor ibrahim did is rakeep that tune on chi-o-oine because in the nahdet el-kanies khidmit shamas, it is said that chi-o-oinee is said in the tune (here: )
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11631.msg140436#msg140436 date=1309308571]
    I skimmed through the first 3 parts and watched the last video. But the questions about changes he has made in hymns were not adequately answered and the interviewer did not really pressure him (he actually seemed nervous to do so). CIA basically shaped the questions how he pleased. He advertised his new albums, told long stories, told jokes, but wasn't pushed into addressing many people's concerns (which are not limited to pronunciation).

i actually think he answered that question VERY well....it is a very sensitive issue....he was basically saying that he was fixing (rather than changing) the pronunciation. he did admit that we were not pronouncing things right and he is not an expert in linguistics (by giving example of coptic language (and arabic) teachers fixing him all the time).

he did tell long stories and some jokes....but that's how the guy speaks in general--you have to meet him and speak to him outside and not only on camera to understand.

about him talking about new albums-- what's the big deal?! ppl were actually asking about new recordings and sets he is recording. he is not a singer who composes his own songs to sell and spread....he is a CANTOR....he teaches hymns. for us to learn those hymns, we need them in digital forms where it is not required for him to be there.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11631.msg140440#msg140440 date=1309314562]
    [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=11631.msg140428#msg140428 date=1309303566]
    Regarding a few of things CIA stated in the interview, he said that in part 2 that he chanted the exposition for the Great Lent in front of the altar and Pope Cyril VI gave him the cloth he wore on his head to resemble the cloth Moses wore when he would speak with God on Mount Sinai. I was wondering what that hymn is and if there are any recordings of it (CIA said that it was a long lahn).
    the hymn is the long INTRO to watos tarh that is originally recorded with the kiahk set and is to be said at that time. i don't think he said that he chanted it in lent......even thoo you can if you choose.
    recording: http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns/Fasts/Nativity/Higher_Institute_of_Coptic_Studies/Part_1/15.Introduction_Exposition.1460.mp3

tarh el-fa3la: http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Hymns/Fasts/Nativity/Higher_Institute_of_Coptic_Studies/Part_3.html (go to "Unknown"--it is tarh el-fa3ala) text: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/2460
    what cantor ibrahim did is rakeep that tune on chi-o-oine because in the nahdet el-kanies khidmit shamas, it is said that chi-o-oinee is said in the tune (here: )

We actually chanted "Chi-oini" when I was at Monterey, CA with Fr. Karas.

My question is when is "Tarh El Fa3la" chanted during the Advent Fast?
  • I can't agree more Mina, thanks for your reply
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=11631.msg140449#msg140449 date=1309317345]
    We actually chanted "Chi-oini" when I was at Monterey, CA with Fr. Karas.

the "usual" way of saying it is what was handed down by m.Fahim and it is very close to khen-oshot (1st hoos lobsh). in fact i said many of the commentaries of the fifties into that fast way.

My question is when is "Tarh El Fa3la" chanted during the Advent Fast?

it is the adam commentary of the workers. in the kiahk psalmody it is said after the theotokia (more specifically the sunday theotokia) followed by the difnar reading of the day.....in my church abouna always says it in arabic or english-- the words are beautiful (i'll add the english and arabic to the link).
    btw, the hymn in itself is not the entire commentary but rather only the last part of it "O Christ our Savior...
  • Like all Watos Expositions, Chiouoini can be chanted in either a major and a minor tune. The minor tune as Mina pointed out is similar to "Khen Oushot," while the longer tune is based on "Tar7 El Fa3la" which is chanted in Kiahk Midnight Praises.

I don't think there is a major tune for the Adam Exposition though - unless someone has heard of one?
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=11631.msg140471#msg140471 date=1309342184]
    Like all Watos Expositions, Chiouoini can be chanted in either a major and a minor tune. The minor tune as Mina pointed out is similar to "Khen Oushot," while the longer tune is based on "Tar7 El Fa3la" which is chanted in Kiahk Midnight Praises.

I don't think there is a major tune for the Adam Exposition though - unless someone has heard of one?

chi-o-oinee (and tarh el-fa3ala) are adam expositions and not watos.
  • ...hang on. Why are they chanted like the in the major Watos exposition tune?
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=11631.msg140474#msg140474 date=1309350718]
    ...hang on. Why are they chanted like the in the major Watos exposition tune?

they are not. the great watos intro that is said in vespers praises is differnt from tarh el-fa3la which is said specifically on sunday night in midnight praises....which is adam.
    the expositions that we have for the fifties and even the ones for lent are specifically ones for sundays--adam ones. chi-o-oinee in itself (as text) is to be said only on the feast liturgy after the gospel (also the midnight praise of the feast liturgy).