Do Christmas lights on a CHristmas tree represent the burning bush

Hey does anyone know if Christmas lights on a Christmas tree represent the burning bush (the one seen by Moses). Me and my friend got into this arguement and i am wondering if anyone knows the answer?

Thanks

Comments

• sry. i hav no idea. but now that u mention it could. i meen in a way strange way.

:-\
  • i dont think so
    i think theyre just a form of decoration

but its a pretty clever idea when u think of it
  • [quote author=shybox link=board=4;threadid=3292;start=0#msg48523 date=1140483162]
    Hey does anyone know if Christmas lights on a Christmas tree represent the burning bush (the one seen by Moses). Me and my friend got into this arguement and i am wondering if anyone knows the answer?

Thanks

They are supposed to look like stars.
  • really i have no idea good questine though

pls pray for me
  • it can if you want it to symbolize that!!!

Akhadna el  baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • it wasn't originally but it is a great meditation, the tree just like the bush and the flame would be the lights and though it is lit up it doesn't burn.
  • Believe it or not, Christmas trees have pagan roots. St. Boniface who converted the Germans into Christianity saw the pagans worshipping an oak tree. In his anger, the saint cut down the oak tree and found that a fir tree had sprung out from the roots of the oak tree. He took this as a sign of the Christian faith and from then on, they became known as Christmas trees.

PK
  • i agree with pope kiroo ;D

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=3292.msg99272#msg99272 date=1231894808]
    Believe it or not, Christmas trees have pagan roots. St. Boniface who converted the Germans into Christianity saw the pagans worshipping an oak tree. In his anger, the saint cut down the oak tree and found that a fir tree had sprung out from the roots of the oak tree. He took this as a sign of the Christian faith and from then on, they became known as Christmas trees.

PK

But the fir tree used would then be a good thing since it was a sign of the Christian Faith... right?
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=3292.msg99278#msg99278 date=1231897021]
    [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=3292.msg99272#msg99272 date=1231894808]
    Believe it or not, Christmas trees have pagan roots. St. Boniface who converted the Germans into Christianity saw the pagans worshipping an oak tree. In his anger, the saint cut down the oak tree and found that a fir tree had sprung out from the roots of the oak tree. He took this as a sign of the Christian faith and from then on, they became known as Christmas trees.

PK

But the fir tree used would then be a good thing since it was a sign of the Christian Faith... right?

This is just the history of christmas trees however today they are just tradition. Also things have changed, now the christmas tree is a symbol of the holiday so it doesn't matter what it stood for before. Same thing with the cross. The cross used to be a symbol of shame but now it is a sign of victory that all christians treasure. My first post was regarding the original question of whether the lights represent the burning bush which would be false since the tree used to be a pagan god meaning the lights have nothing to do with the burning bush.

PK
  • In the UK there were no Christmas trees until the middle of the 19th century. The old English tradition was to have a Yule log, a great piece of wood that would be kept burning through the whole time of the feast. The tradition of the Christmas tree, which is now universal in the UK, arrived with the German husband of Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, who introduced the idea into the royal household, and from there it spread into general use and acceptance.

As far as the UK goes I would imagine that the decorations are just that, only decorations. On the top we place (as probably you do in the US) a star, or an angel or a fairy, but even that does not seem to me to have any real religious significance.

In a dark time of the year it seems to me a deep human response to make light, and so I am not sure that all of the lights which we see at this time are more than that human need for light - which is perhaps a very unconscious spiritual yearning.

In Christ

Peter
  • Yet this tree tradition is very useful because:

- the tree is very durable, it stands firm throughout the difficult icy cold weather
    - the Cross was made of wood (a tree trunk)
    - it is green almost all year long - spiritually (resurrection, and) the hope of eternal life
    - it reminds us of the Tree of Life (that is in the Garden of Eden)
    - it appropriately reminds us of Adam and Eve's original sin and the solution of Salvation provided by God through Our Lord Jesus Christ (and His miraculous Nativity from the Virgin St Mary)
    - lights or stars represent hosts of angels in heavens
    - the large star put on its top is a reminder of the one the wise men saw and followed in the East
    - the angel reminds us of the glorification and joy told to the shepherds
    thus it would also be a tool to help explain some details about the Nativity etc.
    (to children and adults alike)

yes of course the red and yellow blinking lights all over it would remind us of the Burning Bush

GBU