New Year hymns

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hey everyone.

I'm just wondering if there are any special hymns to be said for the regular New year (not the coptic new year).

Thanks in advance, God bless.

Comments

• [quote author=shybox link=topic=7500.msg98895#msg98895 date=1230674533]
    Hey everyone.

I'm just wondering if there are any special hymns to be said for the regular New year (not the coptic new year).

Thanks in advance, God bless.

nothing in our church liturgical hymns.
  • Do we by any chance say any hymns from the Coptic New year?

And Does anyone have the lyrics in english arabic for "kalalta al sana tabe goodie ka".

Thanks Again.

• [quote author=shybox link=topic=7500.msg98900#msg98900 date=1230683771]
    Do we by any chance say any hymns from the Coptic New year?

And Does anyone have the lyrics in english arabic for "kalalta al sana tabe goodie ka".

Thanks Again.

never. as i said. none in our liturgical services. our church is based on the Coptic Calendar.
  • Last year I spent New Years in St Anthony's monastery in Egypt, and at midnight the bells rang and we all sang Epouro from our hearts. I think the words are really appropriate to the new year and a new beginning. Not liturgical in any way, but it was the nicest start to a new year I've ever had. Might be an idea for any of our churches  ;D

May God bless us all and grant us His peace in this coming year
    Matthew
  • [quote author=LondonCopt link=topic=7500.msg98915#msg98915 date=1230738707]
    Last year I spent New Years in St Anthony's monastery in Egypt, and at midnight the bells rang and we all sang Epouro from our hearts. I think the words are really appropriate to the new year and a new beginning. Not liturgical in any way, but it was the nicest start to a new year I've ever had. Might be an idea for any of our churches  ;D

May God bless us all and grant us His peace in this coming year
    Matthew

That's an excellent idea! I'll ask abouna if we can do that tonight at our church. God bless and have a happy new year!
  • [coptic]LondonKopt pamenrit>
    ouon `nousini@ my pai etafswpi eqoun elitourgia> ie `nhanhymnoc nem han'alia?[/coptic]
    One question: was that inside a Liturgy, or hymns and praises?
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7500.msg98919#msg98919 date=1230751676]
    [coptic]LondonKopt pamenrit>
    ouon `nousini@ my pai etafswpi eqoun elitourgia> ie `nhanhymnoc nem han'alia?[/coptic]
    One question: was that inside a Liturgy, or hymns and praises?

No, it was outside both Liturgy and Praises. We had already finished the Praises, spent some time in silence and then the bishop (HG Anba Youstos) went into a 45 minute long prayer, inviting us all to pray afterwards :P
    We prayed the Liturgy after all this, it was really very nice. Just hearing so many monks singing Epouro together perfectly with the bells ringing in the background was so beautiful
  • [coptic]Nanef pai afswpi
    ]erhelpic je anon tyrou [i`ntaimelety e;be pirompi `nrem`n<ymi `mberi on[/coptic]
    Good that was
    I hope that we all take that practice for the new Coptic year also
    [coptic]]jere je hanek`klycia nem hanabot er kata ;ai alla ]erhelpic je niek`klycia nem niabot tyrou ertai[/coptic]
    I mean that some churches and monasteries do like that but I hope that all the churches and monasteries do that
  • we here started it with a liturgy.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7500.msg98923#msg98923 date=1230756267]
    we here started it with a liturgy.

I think it's ESSENTIAL to start the new year with a liturgy.
    In the end we sang some songs, said some prayers, shared some stories and had a sermon until around 11.45. Then we had some quiet time until midnight, all the lights switched off...bells rang and a massive chorus of Epouro :D Few minutes to wish each other a happy new year and then started the liturgy. Can't think of a better way to start the year to be honest.

One thing that caught my attention though was that our priest prayed the fraction for the Coptic New Year. I thought it quite odd because he's normally quite strict when it comes to the rites of the church, but I also think that it was definitely appropriate to the occasion. On the other hand, we are in the middle of Kiahk...so I don't know. Any thoughts on this at all?

Oh yeah and a happy new year to all of you :)
    Matthew
  • [coptic]LondonKopt pamenrit>
    `n]]ma] an nem paiouyb alla ]emi je akcaji `mmof `n;of pe outajryout qen niparadococ[/coptic]
    I don't agree with that priest but I know you said about him, he is strict in the rites
    [coptic]]paradococ e;be ]rompi `mberi `nrem`n<ymi ourasi pe> `mmon `n<oiak[/coptic]
    The rites for the Coptic new year is joyful, not Kiahk
    [coptic]]nah] je nien,ai au,w `mmwou e;be pilogicmoc e;nanef[/coptic]
    I believe that things were placed as such for a good reason
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7500.msg98959#msg98959 date=1230821295]
    [coptic]LondonKopt pamenrit>
    `n]]ma] an nem paiouyb alla ]emi je akcaji `mmof `n;of pe outajryout qen niparadococ[/coptic]
    I don't agree with that priest but I know you said about him, he is strict in the rites
    [coptic]]paradococ e;be ]rompi `mberi `nrem`n<ymi ourasi pe> `mmon `n<oiak[/coptic]
    The rites for the Coptic new year is joyful, not Kiahk
    [coptic]]nah] je nien,ai au,w `mmwou e;be pilogicmoc e;nanef[/coptic]
    I believe that things were placed as such for a good reason

I agree completely. We prayed the whole liturgy in the Kiahk rite, so we didn't pray anything at all joyful. The only thing was the fraction at the end. I understand why he did it, and I don't think it was "wrong" as such...it was essentially a litany for the new year. Ha I guess dwelling on it is no use.

Interestingly, could anyone explain to me why the rite for the Coptic new year is joyful? It's not a "feast" in the same sense as the others in our church...something I'm just wondering...

Matthew
  • [coptic]Ce Mat;eoc - pai ousai pe. Tenek`klyci`a sousou nem pinis] `nypi `nte nimartyroc autanqoc @ e;be vai ]paradococ ourasi pe sa pisai `nte pi`ctauroc[/coptic]
    Yes Matthew - it is a feast. Our church prides itself in the great number of the martyrs that let her live: that is why the rite is festal until the feast of the Cross
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7500.msg98962#msg98962 date=1230831343]
    [coptic]Ce Mat;eoc - pai ousai pe. Tenek`klyci`a sousou nem pinis] `nypi `nte nimartyroc autanqoc @ e;be vai ]paradococ ourasi pe sa pisai `nte pi`ctauroc[/coptic]
    Yes Matthew - it is a feast. Our church prides itself in the great number of the martyrs that let her live: that is why the rite is festal until the feast of the Cross

Ah you know, I had a complete brain-failure moment when I asked that question lol. I completely forgot that the Coptic new year was the celebration of the martyrs...don't I feel stupid now!
    As you were ladies and gentlemen...nothing to see here!
  • [coptic]`mmon `hli - ten[icbw tyrou qen hansini ie hanouw[/coptic]
    That is nothing - we all learn in questions or answers