peer pressure?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
what is the best way to avoid it?

bad pressure i mean

+mahraeel+

Comments

• Maybe one should always keep in mind that even if the whole world is against him, as long as he's doing something that pleases God, it's fine.

When a certain saint was sticking to the teachings of Christ, some people told him: 'The whole world is against you!' He answered:' Well then I am against the world!'

Also look at Joseph in the OT:
    "How then could I do this great evil and sin against God?"

More important than the peers pressuring you, is God Himself.
    Joseph didn't care about Potiphar's wife, nor about any consequences he might face for not obeying her. His priority is to please God, as it should be ours also...

God Bless
    Please pray for my weakness
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7318.msg96950#msg96950 date=1226360087]

When a certain saint was sticking to the teachings of Christ, some people told him: 'The whole world is against you!' He answered:' Well then I am against the world!'

That was St. Athanasius the apostolic
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7318.msg96961#msg96961 date=1226366556]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7318.msg96950#msg96950 date=1226360087]

Thank you very much Jydeacon, I wasn't completely sure, so I subtally wrote 'a certain saint' to hide my ignorance :P

God Bless
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7318.msg96982#msg96982 date=1226399824]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7318.msg96961#msg96961 date=1226366556]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7318.msg96950#msg96950 date=1226360087]

Thank you very much Jydeacon, I wasn't completely sure, so I subtally wrote 'a certain saint' to hide my ignorance :P

God Bless
    [/quote
    lol

But sometimes, you cant help it right? And referring to us as teens.  BUt i dont mean extreme perssure like something. pLease understand that

+mahraeel+
  • if you have a friend you wont want to upset them... you will do what pleases them

if you have a best friend you will not want to upset them... (you will do what pleases them a little more then the mere friend, even if it will not please the friend)

if you have God as your "bestest friend" you will not want to upset Him... you will do what pleases Him, even if it will upset your friends... because He is your closest friend!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=7318.msg97020#msg97020 date=1226429338]
    if you have a friend you wont want to upset them... you will do what pleases them

if you have a best friend you will not want to upset them... (you will do what pleases them a little more then the mere friend, even if it will not please the friend)

if you have God as your "bestest friend" you will not want to upset Him... you will do what pleases Him, even if it will upset your friends... because He is your closest friend!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!

i like that! BUt sometimes, you don't think of that right? Then what?

+mahraeel+
  • Choose your friends wisely for:

"Avoid every kind of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

and "evil company spoils good habits" (sorry can't remember the reference)

pray for me

joe

• thanks

+mahraeel+
  • Think of what will happen if you did this wrong thing and what if god is in front of you doing the wrong thing.  Will you think he will be very happy?  I am sorry but I'm not scaring you..... think of the last judgement and what will happen.  If you do the right thing, god will be happy  
  • okayy..but lets just say well usualyy..wen u do something u never think of that rite?  tehn wat?

+mahraeel+
  • well...if you're not able to remember God first and foremost in your ife....you will sin...and then you can take advantage of that thing we call confession :)

alsO: i would like to throw in that i believe most people usually have that small voice that tells them what God would want....but they ignore it and do what they wantt....so it's not a matter of thinking of it...it's more like forcing yourself to do right EVEn though doing the wrong thing is so much more easy and at times more pleasent.
  • The Orthodox hours as well as a "personal audit" at the end of every day, I guess would help in resetting our sense of direction and priorities. Content-wise, the "hours" are great - of course our motives should be genuine. I believe, constant communion with Him should ward off "assaults of the enemy". Still we are humans.And we are prone to stumbling - and giving into desires and feeling "bound up" by peer pressure.

God bless
    Paulos