learning Arabic

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
has any one here learned Arabic on there own and how did you do it

like what helps in learning a language

i am interusted in learning coptic and i found some good websites but learning is hard for me so im wondering if there is like any easy way or easyer

NESS<><

Comments

• heyy
    i kind of did but i stopped training myself.   :-\i found no one to teach me arabic and such so i did myself.   ;D  however, now i kind of forgot.  what i did was look up a website and i looked at all teh letters ....i took different lessons every couple of days.  :o i looked at the word and i tried to pronounce it then i listened to how it was like and i saw whether or not it was wrong or right.  ::)  then i tried reading longer sentences.  i opened the agybea and highlighted words in arabic and i started reading it little by little.  and i found myself starting to  recognize those extremely hard words!  ;D :D ;) :)

try following ubouna or deacons in mass, tasbeha, etc..when they readdd it helpsss
    :D
    +mahraeel+

P.S coptic is much easier than arabic...=) :P

GBU
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7348.msg97240#msg97240 date=1226857861]

i am interusted in learning coptic and i found some good websites but learning is hard for me so im wondering if there is like any easy way or easyer

NESS<><

what would be a good reason to learn arabic?!!
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7348.msg97243#msg97243 date=1226860679]

P.S coptic is much easier than arabic...=) :P

GBU

thanx

uuum

NESS<><
  • np

umm Mina, alot of songs and liturgies are said in arabic.  it would be easier to actually unserstand it.  nothing is wrong with that is there?
    people would actually pay attention  to teh mass if tehy understood it right? correct me if im wrong...

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7348.msg97264#msg97264 date=1226885215]
    np

umm Mina, alot of songs and liturgies are said in arabic.  it would be easier to actually unserstand it.  nothing is wrong with that is there?
    people would actually pay attention  to teh mass if tehy understood it right? correct me if im wrong...

+mahraeel+

I agree, also if you're Egyptian, it's very understandable that you would like to know how to speak your mother tongue...

God Bless
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7348.msg97264#msg97264 date=1226885215]
    np

[quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7348.msg97265#msg97265 date=1226885741]
    I agree, also if you're Egyptian, it's very understandable that you would like to know how to speak your mother tongue...

i have to FULLY disagree.

1st, mahraeel, ALMOST ALL our liturgical services are in fact translated into english for all to understand. also you have to remember the source is "coptic" not arabic.
    now about songs, songs are NEVER a necessity for the faith. you make songs into arabic so people can understand. but as much as you can do that, you can make songs in english, german...etc, any language the the people of the place understand. it's that simple. it's not WRONG, it's just not a "necessity" as you guys all make it sound.

2nd, godislove260, you go with the obvious answer...which wrong but also, partially, right. you would need to speak your mother's tongue if you do live with your mother in that specific place. it would be wrong because here you are referring to earthly nationality, not the heavenly. you can be egy by birth, but never lived in egypt, so what's the point of speaking arabic??!!!.

now let me explain this.
    here are all speaking in a religious way, not considering the specific nationality of a person other for "understanding" reasons.

We are, you are, Coptic/Egyptian Orthodox Christian. know that, keep that, and understand it well. there is no SPECIFIC language that the Church require you, as a believer, to forcibly learn, to follow your way to heaven. Any one who tells you anything against that is wrong. All you need to do is to "understand" the faith, believe in IT, in Christ, ALL HIS WAYS towards HIM, across the Orthodox Church. it's that simple.

i like to always keep it short and smooth for everyone to understand and to remember. any one who disagrees, i'd like to hear from you.
    (especially a dear person who like to write essays on word and then posts them to just confuse everyone, forgetting the original topic.)
  • Minagir, you are responding to something that no one has said!!!

The initial question was from someone wanting to learn arabic.

You ask why someone would like to learn arabic.

Mahraeel mentions (and she is quite right) that Arabic is used a lot by Copts in general (whether in land of Immigration or not) and it's also used in Chuch...

I say: another reason you might want to learn arabic is because it is your mother tongue, maybe you don't feel that way, but the reason is still valid. You don't have to live in Egypt to want to learn Arabic and you don't even have to be Egyptian, some would love to learn purely out of interest...

You respond as if any of us had claimed that it was necessary to learn arabic in any way!!!
    None of us said that !!!

You asked a question, Mahraeel and I gave an answer.. that's it really
    no need to blow it up into something it's not

God Bless
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7348.msg97268#msg97268 date=1226887650]
    Minagir, you are responding to something that no one has said!!!

The initial question was from someone wanting to learn arabic.

You ask why someone would like to learn arabic.

Mahraeel mentions (and she is quite right) that Arabic is used a lot by Copts in general (whether in land of Immigration or not) and it's also used in Chuch...

I say: another reason you might want to learn arabic is because it is your mother tongue, maybe you don't feel that way, but the reason is still valid. You don't have to live in Egypt to want to learn Arabic and you don't even have to be Egyptian, some would love to learn purely out of interest...

You respond as if any of us had claimed that it was necessary to learn arabic in any way!!!
    None of us said that !!!

You asked a question, Mahraeel and I gave an answer.. that's it really
    no need to blow it up into something it's not

God Bless

mahraeel said:
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7348.msg97264#msg97264 date=1226885215]

saying "liturgical" refers to the Church, refers to our faith. so i just took an ahead step and just explained it!!!

• what would be a good reason to learn arabic?!

what would be a good reason to learn Spanish?! French?! German?! any language other than English?! and in the case of the mother's tongue, then even Coptic?!

learn whatever language ya binty, its good for you to learn arabic, or whatever language... I taught myself Arabic, practice makes perfect!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=7348.msg97270#msg97270 date=1226889877]

what would be a good reason to learn arabic?!

what would be a good reason to learn Spanish?! French?! German?! any language other than English?! and in the case of the mother's tongue, then even Coptic?!

learn whatever language ya binty, its good for you to learn arabic, or whatever language... I taught myself Arabic, practice makes perfect!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!

Great point. Learning any language is good to expand your knowledge base. I'm not sure why there would be a need to discourage anyone from learning a language. Also, there are many spiritual books written by fathers that are only in arabic. For example, a few books by Fr. Shenouda Maher and some by H.G. the late bishop Youannis. It would be very difficult to learn Arabic to such a degree to be able to read these books, but if you can do it, that would be great. Not to mention, people who learn arabic very well can assist in translating these books (including the difnar) since they would have a good understanding of english.
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7348.msg97271#msg97271 date=1226891237]
    people who learn arabic very well can assist in translating these books (including the difnar) since they would have a good understanding of english.

the difnar is not a problem, it's being translated right now.
  • superman(bam) makes a good point.  even if u may find no reason to learn it.  theres nothing wrong with learning just for fun yahni

thanks

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7348.msg97268#msg97268 date=1226887650]

I do agree here.
    I wasn't born in egypt. But i chose to learn arabic becuz it is my mother tongue. i found it important in my life. this is how i felt.................. If i am egyptian then i should know my language. but just becuz i wasn't born in egypt doesn't mean i shouldn't learn it. well this is my opinion. but i do agree with godislove260.

GBU
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7348.msg97273#msg97273 date=1226892389]
    [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7348.msg97271#msg97271 date=1226891237]
    people who learn arabic very well can assist in translating these books (including the difnar) since they would have a good understanding of english.

That was just one book I mentioned as an example...I feel like the point still stands
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7348.msg97276#msg97276 date=1226900366]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7348.msg97273#msg97273 date=1226892389]
    [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7348.msg97271#msg97271 date=1226891237]

That was just one book I mentioned as an example...I feel like the point still stands

well not every person who start learning arabic starts to translate!!!!
    that would cuz a lot of problem in translations. it's like us learning coptic in like a year and go and translate.
  • Aside from all of the bickering, I taught myself by comparing the last symbols in Arabic to the word. In the Coptic Liturgy book published by SJBPH. It helped a lot. Now I can follow along with abouna and understand what he is saying.And miangir, i think that you are making a whole lot of hype out of nothing. The desire to learn Arabic has no sin involved, and should not be criticized. More knowledge leads to general peace.
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7348.msg97297#msg97297 date=1226958149]
    Aside from all of the bickering, I taught myself by comparing the last symbols in Arabic to the word. In the Coptic Liturgy book published by SJBPH. It helped a lot. Now I can follow along with abouna and understand what he is saying.And miangir, i think that you are making a whole lot of hype out of nothing. The desire to learn Arabic has no sin involved, and should not be criticized. More knowledge leads to general peace.

lol....where did i ever say it's a "sin?!!
  • The way that you are arguing, you make it seem like a sin

• [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7348.msg97301#msg97301 date=1226959317]
    The way that you are arguing, you make it seem like a sin

make it "seem like" is not "it is".....come on.

i made myself clear in what is my point.
  • Your post made you seem as if you had something against Arabic. Arabic is merely another language in which the world communicates

• its okay now we get it..i hope? so, anyways good luck in arabic or coptic.  enjoyy

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7348.msg97304#msg97304 date=1226962000]
    Your post made you seem as if you had something against Arabic. Arabic is merely another language in which the world communicates

ya habibi i know that. i don't have anything against arabic. i speak it, i read it, and i write it. what else would you want ya3ny.

i had a point to make about holding a language to our faith. that's it.
  • wow i had no idea this would be so intence!  :) thanx one and all

i hope that some day i will actualy have time to read some of these books you suggested

NESS<><
  • i learnt arabic in order to communicate better with arabs (there are 200million who speak it as first language, so i won't run out of people to talk to!)
    from a white british person  ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7348.msg97858#msg97858 date=1228173921]
    i learnt arabic in order to communicate better with arabs (there are 200million who speak it as first language, so i won't run out of people to talk to!)
    from a white british person  ;)

hahahhahaa..... that just made my day!
    and i alawys thought i won't have anyone to talk to! now i know i have mabsoota :D hahahahahhahahahahaha! :P
  • anytime, bentBABAyasooa'!
    btw, what does your name mean?
    rabina yibarak :)
  • Found this system is v good for learning to speak many languages, including Arabic
    http://www.pimsleurmethod.com/pimsleur-egyptian-arabic.html
    there is a sample on top of their page

It's the easiest way to learn by listening and repeating. Starter or Intermediate private courses by English tutor and spoken natives and it's always available at hand. Writing becomes much easier after that, there is also an instruction booklet.

After good practice (and a good ear) I bet others won't notice any foreign accent when you speak! Wish there were something like this for Coptic.

GBU
  • I learned English mostly from TV and music...

(school English was soooo bad that I think the lack of it would have been more useful, + I seriously doubted the teacher's ability too lol)

So if I could suggest something:

watch lots of Arabic movies (I sugges Adel Imam, el za3eem :D) with subtitles
    and listen to any arabic songs, taraneem, tasbeha, with the translation at hand

And if you want to learn very quickly, you can spend a couple of weeks with some Egyptians !!! :p

Good luck
    God bless you
    Plz pray for me
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7348.msg97871#msg97871 date=1228204787]
    anytime, bentBABAyasooa'!
    btw, what does your name mean?
    rabina yibarak :)

The name means "Daughter of our Lord" Correct me if im wrong...
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7348.msg97259#msg97259 date=1226879799]
    [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7348.msg97240#msg97240 date=1226857861]

NESS<><

what would be a good reason to learn arabic?!!

I will tell you a good reason:
    1.Its a language that you might use
    2. It makes you smarter(the fact that it is a language, not that it is arabic)

3I GOT 4 CREDITS FROM MY SCHOOL for knowing arabic... i tokk the test and i got FOUR credits... that is half the credits you get in like one school year