black?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
aghaby everyone,
I feel very silly posting this but it has been on my mind for a while.  ;D
You know those shirts that a church makes soemtimes and sell them for money for the church.  Well, my church was selling a black shirt with a white picture of St. Mary all around it.  The background was black and the color white was the picture.  It looked really nice!!! Anyway, this kid bought it and asked Ubouna what he thouught of it?  ??? Ubouna said he did not liKE it because, it was black and IT resembles the devil.  :-\ I disagree completely.  >:( IT is just A BACKGROUND COLOR!! :o LOl i got madd when i heard this.
:-X
I mean what are your thoughts about this?  Can i not wear this shirt now??? I Mean why is Ubouna's garment always black then huh?  ???

ALso, is it a sin to sometimes disagree with Ubouna? :'(

+mahraeel+

Comments

• Black is the color of wisdom... like the judge! black is very well favored as a vestment in the church... by no means from the devil!

in our church green is the color that resembles the devil, as in revelation!

talk to your priest, and see why he would say something like that!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor allah!
  • during the sermon that asheya it was last saturday nite...I asked him and he said to all teh people: that black is not a good color..it is a devilish color.  But even if, does that mean we cant wear black or green? No everyone does.  SO i dont get it.  I mean if it is his opinion, then yahni its his not ours rite? lol im sorry im just confused

+mahraeel+
  • well, most adults wear black pants... that that mean they are represemnting the devil? and like said before, Monks, BISHOPS, and Priests wear black.... and they are defenatly not representing the devil........

a friend went to St.Anthony's Monastery and he got a shirt that was BLACK and it said on it in white: Property of GOD.... personally, i love that shirt.... and i really don't see how black is a colour representing the devil, at least when we don't want it to..
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7287.msg96546#msg96546 date=1225403398]
    well, most adults wear black pants... that that mean they are represemnting the devil? and like said before, Monks, BISHOPS, and Priests wear black.... and they are defenatly not representing the devil........

a friend went to St.Anthony's Monastery and he got a shirt that was BLACK and it said on it in white: Property of GOD.... personally, i love that shirt.... and i really don't see how black is a colour representing the devil, at least when we don't want it to..

I agree! BUt why is ubouna saying  this? Sometimes priest highlight ceertain things that are really not a big deal.. idk lol but when i asked tasoni(his wife) she said ask ubouna! She didnt want to upset me or say anything wrong...

+mahraeel+
  • somepriests have some personal views on things i guess... i dunno, but i would say ask a Bishop? but not infront of lots of people, as not to humiliate your priest in public if the Bishop sais anyuthing diferent from what the priest said.
  • lol yes thanks copticpharoah ;D

any other ideas? anyone?

+mahraeel+
  • I agree with all of you, this is just abouna's opinion, in fact our church made a hoodies that were black and had like our names on it and said St. Marks Coptic Orthodox youth with the cross on it, I see nothing wrong with the color black at all. Like Superman said, its a sign of wisdom and judgement, but it also represents death to the world. I mean if you are wearing black like the way goths do then yeah i don't think its right, but nothing wrong with your shirt.
  • lol thanks jydeacon!!!  so, no one answered my last question? is it a sin to not agree with ubouna? since techincally he should be right?

+mahraeel+
  • no such thing as" technically He should be right" ... any Priest can make mistakes... myabe its just His personal belief... no point to argue with Him.. you can still wear black or whatever you want....

Like if an Abouna walked up to me and told me He didn't like the shade of blue on my jeans, would that stop me from wearing them? no, it won't.. i might not wear them infront of Him, as not to provoke him, but i wouold still wear them....
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7287.msg96556#msg96556 date=1225405191]
    no such thing as" technically He should be right" ... any Priest can make mistakes... myabe its just His personal belief... no point to argue with Him.. you can still wear black or whatever you want....

Like if an Abouna walked up to me and told me He didn't like the shade of blue on my jeans, would that stop me from wearing them? no, it won't.. i might not wear them infront of Him, as not to provoke him, but i wouold still wear them....

Well... i didnt say he was perfect.  i did say that he was usually right however because it is his job, he is older, and much more experienced

+mahraeel+
  • well, He is older and does deserve respect, but He can still be wrong, or have His own PERSONAL views on things....
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7287.msg96564#msg96564 date=1225413723]
    well, He is older and does deserve respect, but He can still be wrong, or have His own PERSONAL views on things....

trueee

+mahraeel+
  • That's really shallow and ULTRA-conservative...

Doesn't he wear black 24/7? Hehehehe

I don't think its a sin to disagree with abouna, especially on tiny little things like that. I wouldn't argue with him about anything like theology, unless you're a theologian, but I mean come on...what possible reason could he have for saying something like that!

Egyptians confuse me...
  • yes egys will always be egys
    thanks eveyrone=) keep comenting
    +mahraeel+
  •       +++

Hello friends,

I just wanted to comment on this. First let us try to pin point the use of white in the Holy Bible. 1. As white as snow...Jesus's clothes on the Mountain. 2. In Revelation...Those who are wearing white chlothes, the holy ones. You can add more to this list as to how the white is used for holiness and purity which are God's Characters.
    Coming to the priests wearing black, they began after the persecution of Christians in the era of martyrs. This is to commemorate their pain and to reflect as u said to be dead to both this world and their fleshy desires.
    Now this t-shirt is not made to remember the martyrs or to reflect death for this world but instead as u said is to be used by children too, who r pure and clean from this world's sin.
    I would prefer the white better than the black. Black is the colour of darkness too.
    All said above, still no matter which colour u wear God looks the colour of ur heart first. Still that does not mean that God won't care about the colour of what u wear. I don't know about u but here it is the Church's tradition that all Christians wear white robes in the Church worship. This is to resemble the holy angels at least in colour if not in life.
    Why do God chose the right more than the left? still that does not mean that left hand ppl r evil. God choose somethings better than the other, like a sheep than a goat.
      Anyways I agree with ur priest. Actually I always want to agree with them. I feel like they are a million times closer to the Holy Spirit than I. I trust them in God. 

May God be with us always with His holiest mother, holy angels, saints in mercy. Amen!!!
  • "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord"

as you are not agreeing with abouna... and neither would I, but try to take it as lesson... you have no idea how much of a blessing it is, and how much it just crushes your pride, I've been doing it lately, and neshkor allah its really helpful! when  you are faithful over small things like that out of obedience... God will reward you a hundred folds!

and always keep in mind ebn/bint el ta3a tihil 3aleh/a el baraka!

khody baraka, 3alashan nakhod baraka... neshkor allah!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=7287.msg96806#msg96806 date=1225984474]
    "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord"

as you are not agreeing with abouna... and neither would I, but try to take it as lesson... you have no idea how much of a blessing it is, and how much it just crushes your pride, I've been doing it lately, and neshkor allah its really helpful! when  you are faithful over small things like that out of obedience... God will reward you a hundred folds!

and always keep in mind ebn/bint el ta3a tihil 3aleh/a el baraka!

khody baraka, 3alashan nakhod baraka... neshkor allah!

thanks!!

+mahraeel+
  • I resent the comments some made about Egyptians.

Black color is not evil by itself (neither is any color).
    Personal opinions play a role but it derives from either a possible subconscious tendency towards racist attitude or most likely from the fact that it spiritually represents darkness and death (death wear = black to most people, but not in all cultures), or the fact that the official uniform of Orthodox priests etc is black (actually it IS holy) and should only be used by them?

Also, our Church canonized many prominent Orthodox saints who had very dark or fully black skin color, e.g. Ethiopian saints, St Anba Moussa the Black, etc.

Some parents prefer that their kids should not get used to wear black clothes because it is the main color generally used by satanic groups of people. Like everything in life, most probably it actually depends on HOW and WHY you use a particular color. In your example, perhaps a blue or light blue shirt color (or any light tone color) would be nicer when used for printing religious elements?

Is it just a matter of taste?

GBU
  • All said above, still no matter which colour u wear God looks the colour of ur heart first.

^^^ I agree with this very very much.  I don't really think it's that big of a deal...it is just a color....and i think saying it symbloizes satan(ist) and bad things is kind of prejudice and culturally derived...like how egyptians wear black for what...like a year after the passing of someone...so it's looked at as a sad color...but otherwise i think it's up to the individual.
  • thanks!
    BUt why would ubouna say that? I mean its weird! THe way he said it was like its the deadliest sin.  i dont see anythung wrong with it....any comments?

+mahraeel+
  • I personally think that abouna had a bad experience... Maybe he was hit hard by something of the sort.
  • haha lol lol maybee..

+mahraeel+