Communion of the Divine Mysteries – Strong Statement

I thought I’ll share this sentence that I've found on an old liturgy of a priest.

[center]
"من كان طاهراَ فليقرب ومن كان نجساً فليخرج إلا لأن يحترق بنار اللاهوت"
"Who ever is pure let him approach, and who ever is defiled let him leave so he doesn’t burn from the fire of the divinity."
[/center]

This is (was) part of the confession prayer during our Coptic liturgy. This statement is very strong to those who understand it. The original text of course is Arabic. That why I included the Arabic first because of the meaning. The English I just translated so all can understand. This sentence was mentioned before in some threads about other topics and I have heard about it from many but I just never found a text or and audio file until today.

Comments

• Dear Mina,
    Yes, this is a very strong statement as you say, but I think we all agree that no one of is wholly pure except the Holy Trinity, and that is just what we declare just before the priest's profession before Communion. In literal words (as it is translated awfully wrongly in both Arabic and English) we say: HERE IS THE FATHER THE ONLY ALL-HOLY, HERE IS THE SON THE ONLY ALL-HOLY, AND THE SPIRIT THE ONLY ALL-HOLY [Yis O Banagios; sorry I haven't got Coptic fonts on this computer]. So, we just get raised up from worldly senses nearer to the purity of the Holy Trinity to be able to have Communion, but we will still be imperfect after all in our bodily confinements.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot
  • Mina is correct this is an extremely powerful statement, which is the first time i have seen it, could you put it in context from the confession you have or send it to me in a PM i would like to see the whole thing if you don't mind, and this text just goes to show how powerful the communion is and what it can do to those who take it unworthily
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5929.msg79337#msg79337 date=1194968283]
    Mina is correct this is an extremely powerful statement, which is the first time i have seen it, could you put it in context from the confession you have or send it to me in a PM i would like to see the whole thing if you don't mind, and this text just goes to show how powerful the communion is and what it can do to those who take it unworthily

i just heard it on the audio file. it was before:
    Priest:
    "...I believe, I believe, I believe that this is true. Amen."

ophadece,
    this is the response ur talkin about. aactually this is the one we use in my church:
    "One is the All-Holy Father,One is the All-Holy Son, One is the All-Holy Spirit.Amen"
    [coptic]Ic `o pan`agioc Patyr@ ic `o pan`agioc Uioc@ en to pan`agion `Pneuma@ `amyn.[/coptic]
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5929.msg79337#msg79337 date=1194968283] and this text just goes to show how powerful the communion is and what it can do to those who take it unworthily

Who is acctuallly worthy or pure enough to take the holy communion? We all don't deserve it and somtimes take this holy sacrament foregranted.
    pray 4 me
  • mina, could you provide the link to this audio file?

GB
    Tony
  • Kir mich you are absolutely correct but God grants us the grace to be made worthy of this Sacrement, but of course none of us on our own is worthy to take communion and some do take it unworthily and for granted
  • Dear Mina,
    That is the same translation we use, but I think it is flawed (off the top of my head though; I haven't learned Greek anyway). It shouldn't be "one", rather it is "the only one ...".
    God bless you and pray for us a lot
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5929.msg79342#msg79342 date=1194976349]
    mina, could you provide the link to this audio file?

GB
    Tony

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7L9ZCUY1
  • WOW! i have never in my life heard a confession like the one the priest is saying! anyway, I am curious as to why that verse was removed in the first place...
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5929.msg79354#msg79354 date=1194999612]
    WOW! i have never in my life heard a confession like the one the priest is saying! anyway, I am curious as to why that verse was removed in the first place...

well too harsh for the believers. as you can see from the responses to this thread, many know that we are all sinners and are not worthy. but that's the mystery of this. he purified us in essence, now it's just our time to purify our selves to recieve him.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5929.msg79355#msg79355 date=1195000056]
    [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5929.msg79354#msg79354 date=1194999612]
    WOW! i have never in my life heard a confession like the one the priest is saying! anyway, I am curious as to why that verse was removed in the first place...

well too harsh for the believers. as you can see from the responses to this thread, many know that we are all sinners and are not worthy. but that's the mystery of this. he purified us in essence, now it's just our time to purify our selves to recieve him.

I think its important that this is harsh actually. People need to realize what they are about to partake of and sometimes they need to be reminded that not anyone can just go and take communion. We are partaking of Christ's Body and Blood and it should not be taken lightly

God Bless
    Tony
  • Did he just say that part in arabic in the midst of the coptic cause he was saying it really fast and i thought i heard it in arabic or did i completely miss it?
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5929.msg79357#msg79357 date=1195002034]
    Did he just say that part in arabic in the midst of the coptic cause he was saying it really fast and i thought i heard it in arabic or did i completely miss it?

yes. well if there was any point of saying it, he had to say in the language ppl kno so.....
  • Yes thats what i thought,
  • It is true that the sacrament of communion is truly a blessing that we take forgranted. We are given the flesh and blood of which we are unworthy of looking at. We stand one foot away from God himself and sometimes do not realize it. Which one of us will stand one foot before God in heaven? We are surely not on the same level of the saints and the holy virgin Mary. Every week we partake in this sacrament and sometimes we doubt, as I once did. But let me share with all of you a story about one of the priests at my church. Our priest (whose name I will not mention) is a very blessed and humble man. I have heard a couple of miracles the Lord has performed through him from a man that used to drive thise priest to give the communion to the sick. One time he told me that abouna was going to visit a sick women that could not walk to give her communion. Her son was not going to be home at the time so he told the priest he would leave the door unlocked and then asked the priest to lock the door on his way out. When this father arrived at the sick women's house he found the door locked. So he looking at the body of Christ in his hand asked him the king of kings to help him, he said the door is locked and I am too old to jump through the window, and the lady inside cannot walk to open the door for me. So he took out the keys from his pocket and took one and put it in the door knob and thorugh the grace of God it opened. I share this story with you to give an example of the true power of communion and faith.

God Bless
  • Wow thanks for sharing that miracle with us its a very nice one,
  • there are many stories and sayings of such a statement... but what about this, you cant partake of communion, except if you're a saint... holies... to the holy... holy is for the sake of translation... yet the correct term is holies to the saints... qoudsat lil qudeseen... now lets get a bit more technical... ta agia, tis agees...  now for the technical translation... the unworldly (not from this world) to the unworldly (not from this world)... thus if you live the heavenly life... or try to live the unworldly life... you are fit for communion!
  • Dear Mina,

Is there a way one can get a hold of this entire Liturgy? I quite love this priest's style.
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=5929.msg79371#msg79371 date=1195024689]
    there are many stories and sayings of such a statement... but what about this, you cant partake of communion, except if you're a saint... holies... to the holy... holy is for the sake of translation... yet the correct term is holies to the saints... qoudsat lil qudeseen... now lets get a bit more technical... ta agia, tis agees...  now for the technical translation... the unworldly (not from this world) to the unworldly (not from this world)... thus if you live the heavenly life... or try to live the unworldly life... you are fit for communion!

which is "The Holies are for the holy" it's exactly the same in arabic.....the word 'qidees' means holy, also saint.

[quote author=Iqbal link=topic=5929.msg79373#msg79373 date=1195025776]
    Dear Mina,

Is there a way one can get a hold of this entire Liturgy? I quite love this priest's style.

Fr Youssef Youssef

actually am trying to find other liturgy for him...
  • I know this topic is old, but i was just wondering, mina do you have another link to that liturgy that you posted, the link is broken now if thats not to much trouble
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5929.msg96808#msg96808 date=1225986799]
    I know this topic is old, but i was just wondering, mina do you have another link to that liturgy that you posted, the link is broken now if thats not to much trouble

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7L9ZCUY1
  • I actually wonder if you have a link to where I can get the whole liturgy?
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=5929.msg96814#msg96814 date=1225991838]
    I actually wonder if you have a link to where I can get the whole liturgy?

it's on coptichymns.net
    Fr Youssef Youssef of Hungary.
  • Thanks mina