Is it a sin to eat pork?

I want to know.... i hear conflicting doctreens in my church.

THanks and pray for me pls.

Comments

• No we don't believe in Haram and Halal. Everything is ok for us to eat within moderation. Pork is definetely ok, the only thing i can think of thats wrong to do is eat meat raw or with the blood in it because the blood is where the sould of the animal is I think. Please someone correct me if i have mispoken.
  • that's what i thought it was... not a sin.

As to the raw meat, in my country (Ethiopia)... it is a delicacy... we eat it with a spicy sauce and spice. We eat ox or sheep raw meat. I don't think it is bad. And we even eat blood... but not drink it but cook the blood and then it becomes like meat and we eat it with bread-like soft taco (called Injera).  ;D ;D 

U might think it is crazy but it tastes good... at least for me!
  • Lol to each his own tastes!
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7262.msg96235#msg96235 date=1224883142]
    No we don't believe in Haram and Halal. Everything is ok for us to eat within moderation. Pork is definetely ok, the only thing i can think of thats wrong to do is eat meat raw or with the blood in it because the blood is where the sould of the animal is I think. Please someone correct me if i have mispoken.

I thought the Bible forbids eating pork. It is , i guess, in the OT and we believe in its scriptures.Pork is regarded as unclean meat.Becaasue if you say we do not beleive in Halal and haram food, we might as well eat dogs and reptiles like the chinese do:-)

Here is the verse:
    Leviticus 11: 1-3

"And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, saying unto them, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, these are the beasts that ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on earth. Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud is among the beasts that shall ye eat."

The pig belongs to the species that 'parthes the hoof'.There are people who would debunk the law from the OT bu refering to the verse in the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus said, "Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

I think,the Lord was talking about purity of the heart and not food.

Later
  • no it is not a sin.  :) it is a sin if u r supposed to be fasting.  ::) But other than that eat all u want...=) Just dont get fat!!!lol ;D

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7262.msg96239#msg96239 date=1224884130]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7262.msg96235#msg96235 date=1224883142]
    No we don't believe in Haram and Halal. Everything is ok for us to eat within moderation. Pork is definetely ok, the only thing i can think of thats wrong to do is eat meat raw or with the blood in it because the blood is where the sould of the animal is I think. Please someone correct me if i have mispoken.

I thought the Bible forbids eating pork. It is , i guess, in the OT and we believe in its scriptures.Pork is regarded as unclean meat.Becaasue if you say we do not beleive in Halal and haram food, we might as well eat dogs and reptiles like the chinese do:-)

Here is the verse:
    Leviticus 11: 1-3

"And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, saying unto them, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, these are the beasts that ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on earth. Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud is among the beasts that shall ye eat."

The pig belongs to the species that 'parthes the hoof'.There are people who would debunk the law from the OT bu refering to the verse in the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus said, "Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

I think,the Lord was talking about purity of the heart and not food.

Later

Yes but we are not in the OT anymore, Recall St. Peters Vision in Acts 10:9-16 where all types of animals had come down from heaven(it says: "In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth") The Lord said to Peter kill and eat, but Peter had refused and said no I can't for I have never eaten anything common or unclean. And God said to him "What God has cleansed you must not call common." So God himself lifted this thinking and said there is no problem with eating anything anymore.
  • ya, like Jydeacon said, God told Peter than nothing that GOD made is for us to call"dirty".... so we can eat whatever we want.....

and concerning the blood and stuff like that... would it be wrong to eat alike a rare cooked stake? or like medium rare while it still has blood inside?

• I thought the meaning of the vison Peter saw is clearly outlined  in verse 28: "But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean."  If you read thru Acts 11: 1-18, St Peter  deciphers  the meaning of his vision and nowhere did he make any mention of clean or unclean foods. Apart from that, Medical Science has also concluded ( hope Hos Erof is on vacation) that Pork meat and all other unclean foods that are listed in the OT are found to be  unheathy to humans.So as always,the Lord has a reason why he forbade some foods. Any objections? 
  • If you look at the context of the verse :
    '"Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

shows that Christ was talking about food when He said that

1Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2"Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"

16"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. 17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "

He was saying that it doesn't matter what you eat, it's what you say that will make you unclean
    Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong...
    God Bless

• [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7262.msg96241#msg96241 date=1224885433]
    no it is not a sin.  :) it is a sin if u r supposed to be fasting.  ::) But other than that eat all u want...=) Just dont get fat!!!lol ;D

+mahraeel+

I don't think it is even sin if you were supposed to be fasting. Not fasting is not a sin. second, if there is no food around during fasting season other than pork, i would it it. it is still not a sin.

I see there is even debate about pork being a sin or not in the coptic church also. Just like in my church, some people say it is a sin and some say it isn't.  BUt the majority i think says it is a sin.
    I was talking with my cousin about this issue and i mentioned the the bible saying it is ok to eat, but he said we shouldn't take the verse litterally (as most protestants do with the bible) and eat. I don't know what he meant ??? and didn't ask him to elaborate.

GBU all.
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7262.msg96267#msg96267 date=1224928758]
    If you look at the context of the verse :
    '"Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

1Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2"Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"

16"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. 17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "

He was saying that it doesn't matter what you eat, it's what you say that will make you unclean

Hmm, I do have a different understanding of the verse. I do not think,the analyisis is about clean and unclean food. If you check, the key point of the whole issue is found in this verse ,when the Pharisees asked "[i]Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, "[b]Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"[/i]  .Emphasis mine.

In other words, they are asking Jesus about the ritual of washing hands that the Jews used to practice as tradition.I think the Lord is answering them this point.When He says ' whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?, He is speaking about , I think,  the biological nature of the human digestive system, meaning, whether one washes his hands or not, the digestive organs  purify and handle all food the same way. His answer is even more magnified in verses 18-20, when He continues to deliver the point by talking about the more important issue of a our conduct,"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' ,which is what truly makes impure in His sight.
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7262.msg96317#msg96317 date=1225050568]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7262.msg96267#msg96267 date=1224928758]
    If you look at the context of the verse :

Hmm, I do have a different understanding of the verse. I do not think,the analyisis is about clean and unclean food. If you check, the key point of the whole issue is found in this verse ,when the Pharisees asked "[i]Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, "[b]Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"[/i]  .Emphasis mine.

In other words, they are asking Jesus about the ritual of washing hands that the Jews used to practice as tradition.I think the Lord is answering them this point.When He says ' whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?, He is speaking about , I think,  the biological nature of the human digestive system, meaning, whether one washes his hands or not, the digestive organs  purify and handle all food the same way. His answer is even more magnified in verses 18-20, when He continues to deliver the point by talking about the more important issue of a our conduct,"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' ,which is what truly makes impure in His sight.

I agree that the Lord was speaking about the fact that the food we eat, whether with unwashed hands or not, is not what's going to make us unclean. But I think (and this is just my humble opinion) that He meant that whatever we eat in general is not what's going to make us clean or unclean. As in whatever goes into our mouth meaning with unwashed hans or not and whatever food, all of that is not what makes us clean or unclean.