what if i do not want to tell abouna a sin

2»

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7211.msg95756#msg95756 date=1224244102]

But - i do think the Church allows confession on the phone if there's no way for you to see the priest - but I think someone needs to confirm this.

Yes, as far as my FOC is concerend, he allows it. The reason being, I once I went to the Catholic church to confess (had to get some thing off my chest ASAP),because he was there but unavaliable.Later I told him what I did and why I did it. He did not feel OK and told me he would be avalaible at all times. He then mentioned,that I should leave him my confessions on his mailbox, should he be not available. I might add, he validated the confession that I gave at the Catholic church. 
  • confesion on his mail box? that is akward, becasue part of the confesion is the feed back from your father of Confession.... and what if someone else gets hold of his phone or whtever...
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7211.msg95773#msg95773 date=1224278290]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7211.msg95756#msg95756 date=1224244102]

But - i do think the Church allows confession on the phone if there's no way for you to see the priest - but I think someone needs to confirm this.

Yes, as far as my FOC is concerend, he allows it. The reason being, I once I went to the Catholic church to confess (had to get some thing off my chest ASAP),because he was there but unavaliable.Later I told him what I did and why I did it. He did not feel OK and told me he would be avalaible at all times. He then mentioned,that I should leave him my confessions on his mailbox, should he be not available. I might add, he validated the confession that I gave at the Catholic church. 

Hez,

Your FoC asked you to write your confessions down and leave it in his mailbox??

I was the same as you; I had no other option once but to confess in the RC. I wasn't close enough with any Orthodox priest so I could call him with my confession. They knew I was overseas and didn't keep in touch with me, so I just took it upon myself to confess to a Catholic priest. I found them really funny.
    hahaha

One particular catholic priest was so funny. Then I confessed to a maronite priest. hehahah.. he was really cool.

But then when I got the chance I told my FoC and all he wanted was just the "summary" details. He said that I didnt have to re-confess everything again, but he needed to have a summary.

So, basically, I just had to give him an overview, rather than a detailed description. I used powerpoint for my presentation.
  • I have a question though. I've always wondered: how much detail are you supposed to go into? I mean, is a sin considered unabsolved if you tell abouna vaguely? And like what if you forget a sin...I don't think that should count but I'm interested to hear what other people think...

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7211.msg95804#msg95804 date=1224315775]
    I used powerpoint for my presentation.

Haha lol. That is a joke right?
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7211.msg95810#msg95810 date=1224321583]
    I have a question though. I've always wondered: how much detail are you supposed to go into? I mean, is a sin considered unabsolved if you tell abouna vaguely? And like what if you forget a sin...I don't think that should count but I'm interested to hear what other people think...

Well, you obviously don't know my FoC.

He feels that if you've confessed your sins already to a Catholic priest, he wants more details than before : names, numbers, and dates.  They tend to feel left out, a tad bit jealous - so they want all the details.

And obviously, a PPT presentation helps. Take him through the sequence of events; make it clear.

I find that a powerpoint presentation helps make the point, and you can use clip-art: a picture paints a thousand words; so if you don't want to use so many words, just get a picture.
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7211.msg95810#msg95810 date=1224321583]
    I have a question though. I've always wondered: how much detail are you supposed to go into? I mean, is a sin considered unabsolved if you tell abouna vaguely? And like what if you forget a sin...I don't think that should count but I'm interested to hear what other people think...

well my FOC always says: you don't have to go into details, the name of the sin is enough
    and one reason might be the fact that once you get into details you might try to justify yourself..
    eg: I lied because that person lied to me first ...
  • POWER POINT?? u might as well write Him a short story with all your sins and explaining why you did them.....

and by leaving something in Abouna's MailBox, it means his Voice Mail.... (right?)   
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7211.msg95839#msg95839 date=1224354549]
    POWER POINT?? u might as well write Him a short story with all your sins and explaining why you did them.....

and by leaving something in Abouna's MailBox, it means his Voice Mail.... (right?)   

Abouna didnt ask me for a Powerpoint presentation. He asked me for an overview. Im really good at giving overviews with powerpoint. He just needs the main points. He doesn't need the details.

As for the mailbox - that's strange.. i've never heard of that.
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7211.msg95800#msg95800 date=1224313943]
    confesion on his mail box? that is akward, becasue part of the confesion is the feed back from your father of Confession.... and what if someone else gets hold of his phone or whtever...

I am sorry for the confusion. Mostly, I write in my breaktime and I certainly do make mistakes and leave out some details. As you correctly pointed out, I wanted to say Voicebox. When Abuna heard I went to a Catholic priest, he felt as if the mistake was his own and was losing me. He did not get angry at me, because I had no other options left as he was totally unavailable. He also did not demand to hear the same  confessions, but immediately approved of the absolution of the Catholic priest. Thus, he suggested,incase of emergency or should he not be available etc, he allowed me to leave whatever it is that bothers me in his Voicebox and added that no other person has access to his voicebox (the one in his church office).In other words, Abuna was telling me to never entertain the idea of  going to the Catholic confessional box once again. Frankly, I never left any confessions in his Voicebox, but I do know that it is an option, if others fails.

Quote from: QT_PA_2T on October 18, 2008, 03:42:55 AM

LOL, that was funny. You know, I have respect for the Roman Catholic Church and Saints, regardless of their strange metamorphisis from the core faith, but after I confessed there ( I enter the church at least 3 x a week as it is near where I hang out), I kind of felt as if I did not really confess.However, right after i left the box, I went to the front seat to pray and I felt a sort of warmth around my shoulder, some sort of feeling that never occurred before. I thought, that was a messsage that my confession was valid before the throne of God. That is the way I interepreted it anyway.Strange, isn't it?
  • cann i ask u a question, but you don't have to answer it ofcourse.... some friends told me that the Catyholic priests tell the confessing people to say like 5 Our Fathers and 6 Hail Mary's and they would be like repented (some one please confirm....) nor for the question itself,: did the Catholic priest tell you to do that? like to say a certain prayer more than once or twice or whatever for the reson of COnfession or Repentance?
  • i tend to do that a lot....i dont confess everything=//

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7211.msg95916#msg95916 date=1224467322]
    cann i ask u a question, but you don't have to answer it ofcourse.... some friends told me that the Catyholic priests tell the confessing people to say like 5 Our Fathers and 6 Hail Mary's and they would be like repented (some one please confirm....) nor for the question itself,: did the Catholic priest tell you to do that? like to say a certain prayer more than once or twice or whatever for the reson of COnfession or Repentance?

No Hail Mary's.In general, I do not think, they ask you to recite Hail Mary's after your confession. If your sin is severe, you are required to do penance. Some may even refuse to absolve you if they feel that you are still immersed in the swamp of certain sins.In my case, he said that God had already forgiven me,because I prayed for forgiveness before I entered the box.He assured me that God had already accepted my repentance, and said he would just formally execute what is given to him from above,so he absolved me saying 'I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit'. Then he gave me a slip of paper  to read right away from the book of Psalms ,namley Psalm 32 "happy are those whose transgression is forgiven..." That was it.
  • wait a minute... so if a sin isn't "severe" they won't ask you for repentance? i thought you were supposed to offer repentance on ALL one's sins and try to be as blameless and perfect as our Father in Heaven is.....   

so like someone does a certain sin, but the priest doesn't find it to be "severe" he won't tell him to repent for it or waht?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7211.msg95923#msg95923 date=1224473274]
    wait a minute... so if a sin isn't "severe" they won't ask you for repentance? i thought you were supposed to offer repentance on ALL one's sins and try to be as blameless and perfect as our Father in Heaven is.....   

so like someone does a certain sin, but the priest doesn't find it to be "severe" he won't tell him to repent for it or waht?

They surely do. They have a prayer called 'an act of contrition',where the sinner is required to recite it so as to show his/her sincere repentence ( but i was not asked that).Moreover, what I meant by "penance' is that, the priest imposes upon the sinner some form of punishment similar to the metania we have.

• [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7211.msg95916#msg95916 date=1224467322]
    cann i ask u a question, but you don't have to answer it ofcourse.... some friends told me that the Catyholic priests tell the confessing people to say like 5 Our Fathers and 6 Hail Mary's and they would be like repented (some one please confirm....) nor for the question itself,: did the Catholic priest tell you to do that? like to say a certain prayer more than once or twice or whatever for the reson of COnfession or Repentance?

No, your sins aren't forgiven by the number of times you say Hail Mary.

If the priest asks you to say 6 hail Mary's then its because he wants you to spend more time asking for intercessions from the Holy Mother.
    cann i ask u a question, but you don't have to answer it ofcourse.... some friends told me that the Catyholic priests tell the confessing people to say like 5 Our Fathers and 6 Hail Mary's and they would be like repented (some one please confirm....)

I think, you are right in some way. I forgot to mention that the 'penance' may include consistent prayers for days. The Catholics love to recite the 'Hail Mary" and 'Glory be to you' many times throughout the day. Their prayers is centered around those prayers and if the priest orders prayers as a form of punishment, I can not think of any other prayers they are supposed to recite. 
  • the fact of reciting hail Mary or other prayers throughout the day is pretty nice....
  • prayer as a form of punishment !?
  • that is "different" concept....  it sounds "diferent?
  • I was at Church only last month and someone from the congregation asked Abouna whether we should confess our sins (the very bad ones) in details to our Father of Confession.  Abouna said NO.  He commented that the Father of Confession would not like to hear details.  Basically, we should confess our sins but not to tell the details of every sin.   

Personally, I would prefer to confess my sins in details.  Everytime I confess my sins, I feel cleaner and I feel the blessings of the Holy Spirity.  However, Abouna himself said there was no need to give details of every sin.

This is a good post.

God bless you
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7211.msg96041#msg96041 date=1224583280]
    prayer as a form of punishment !?

Penance includes some form of punishment. In the old days,the traditional forms of extreme penance used to be physical mortification  and humiliation in public.Today,this has changed and Catholic penance has shifted to less severe punishments and as bizzare as it may sound  they include saying prayers for a number of days. The  punishment takes the form of a set number of  'Hail Marys ,Our Fathers, and Glory be to you'.
  • while we are talking about this... would some one please volounteer to tell me what Opus Dei is?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7211.msg96136#msg96136 date=1224644020]
    while we are talking about this... would some one please volounteer to tell me what Opus Dei is?

Opus Dei is a catholic community. Although it is non charismatic, it really truley reminds me of Free Masons.

The Catholic Church has thousands of communities, each one pretending to be the same Church just looking at charitable deeds in a different way. But their spirituality and dogmas differ. There is no doubt about this.

One community evangelises chastity (the Pure of Hearts COmmunity) and see worship as a way of having a pure heart, and another community focuses on helping your grandmother as the most charitable deed you can do (jesuits) - and if you happen to do any sin its OK so long as you've helped your grandmother.

• [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7211.msg96133#msg96133 date=1224641840]
    [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7211.msg96041#msg96041 date=1224583280]
    prayer as a form of punishment !?

Penance includes some form of punishment. In the old days,the traditional forms of extreme penance used to be physical mortification  and humiliation in public.Today,this has changed and Catholic penance has shifted to less severe punishments and as bizzare as it may sound  they include saying prayers for a number of days. The  punishment takes the form of a set number of  'Hail Marys ,Our Fathers, and Glory be to you'.

I understand that penance can include some form of punishment such as humiliation in public and such, but I don't necessarily like the idea of having prayer as an acutal punishment.
    God doesn't need our prayers, it's we who need them, it's an enjoyable think to be able to speak to God, us the undeserving sinners. But when you actually punish someone with prayers doesn't that send the wrong message... I mean people usually don't like punishments...

• [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7211.msg96145#msg96145 date=1224676103]
    But when you actually punish someone with prayers doesn't that send the wrong message... I mean people usually don't like punishments...

It may probably does send a wrong message, if we perceive it only as punishment and for a limited period of time.The sinner who does always delivers extended prayers or HAlL MARY's in the case of the Catholics may not see anything wrong with that. I guess, it depends on the concerend individual. But on a second thought, what different is it than the metanias we get as penance? Metania is a form of prayer as well that is ordered by our FOC.