What should I Study when I finish High school( and what should i be)

Comments

• lol.. what u dont kno is that im accelerating both 2u and 3u and the probability that i'll repeat both is 76% so yeh i dunt think i'll get the time to do 4u.. besides i still have english and chem 2 worry about .... i really need to spend  a lot of time on themm...
    so yehh... rabena yoster...
  • but i definitely appreciate ur advice... so thanx :)
  • well if u can get good in the 2unit exam, say 90+
    You should do 4unit, because you dont even need that well of a mark to do good in it.
    I think like 75% in the exam will give you 90 +
    And by this time next year you would have had enough practice at the 3unit to do good in 3unit aswell as tackling the harder parts of 4unit, which is the harder 3unit (that everyone struggles in).
  • but u kno what my problm is? i stuffed up ALL my school assessment tasks... so i even doubt i'll get 90+ in 2u!! and im thinking of not doing 4u for the sake of the other subjects as well... chem and english!!! im sooo weak at those two and they will need sooo much time... so if i do 4u it'll be hard to concentrate on all of them..
    u kno just lately i even gave up on finishing any maths this year (and cant really argue too much on this point coz its a spiritual issue rather than an academic one..) anyway... so if i do end up redoing maths next year, then thats even more work.... 4u is just way too hard for my abilities... yet, im leaving it upto God.. i'll probably take the final decision when the results for 2u and 3u hsc come out...
    rabena yoster
    hey do u start ur hsc on thursday or friday??
  • Friday - English
    It officially starts on Thursday, but i dont do business studies.
  • Well good luck dude! I hope you do well. I'll pray 4 u!
  • Thankyou :)
    But i dont think there is hope for me with English lol. Maybe with God's help :) hheeh.
    But Maths should be good, and hopefully Physics :) .
  • [quote author=ChristopherBoctor link=topic=7185.msg95598#msg95598 date=1223993362]
    But i dont think there is hope for me with English lol. Maybe with God's help :) hheeh.

How'd you go? English was on Friday yeah?
  • well since i dont think he'll be on until he finishes his exams, let me answer you that question.. apparently the questions were NOT that hard but the exam was quite long (well the prob was in section one).. they had to analyse FOUR texts (usually three).. and they also gave them the 'compare texts' question... usually if they give them four texts they DONT give them the compare question.. but this time they gave them both....
    but im sure he did ok...
  • [quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7185.msg95805#msg95805 date=1224316734]
    well since i dont think he'll be on until he finishes his exams, let me answer you that question.. apparently the questions were NOT that hard but the exam was quite long (well the prob was in section one).. they had to analyse FOUR texts (usually three).. and they also gave them the 'compare texts' question... usually if they give them four texts they DONT give them the compare question.. but this time they gave them both....
    but im sure he did ok...

I didn't consider that lol ;D We'll have to ask next week...

But your doing the maths exam soon rite?
  • um... well i guess so....
    look i really need ur prayers...school isnt on my mind at the moment.. so unless my other problems are solved i'll never be able to concentrate on my studies..
    please pray for me...
  • Ouch. Section B of Paper 2, right? You got to remember that you are on the same boat as thousands in the state, and the UAI is not a percentage system, but a ranking system.
  • I'm so amazed that a young man such as your self is thinking of his future so early on. It's probably a good idea to make a table of all the things you think you'd like to do. Start with the least interesting to your top choice of what you want to be in the future. I know being Middle Eastern doesn’t help, with everyone around you expecting you to do so much at your age.  But try to live life to your expectations and not to what everyone expects of you.  Try to get into something challenging, where you wake up in the morning wanting to go to work instead of dragging yourself out of bed thinking another boring day of my life. I mean for the time being, your still young try to enjoy high school and continue to do well academically. College is totally a different experience that you'll get into once out of high school. Good luck in all that you do in life.  God Bless!
  • I reckon ppl worry too much about their UAI...there really are other ways to get around in life. I mean of course its great to have, but people love to panic about it much more than they need to. It's just that classic Egyptian mentality I suppose, (get a 99.5+ in the HSC and become a doctor/pharmacist/engineer) 

For example, there is a certain priest in Sydney who gives out 'contracts' to HSC students. The contracts say that you have to pray every day, read your Bible everyday, confess once a month and study so many hours a day, and in return, you will get a certain mark. I think (since I'm speaking anonymously I can say this) that's crazy and it certainly does a lot of damage too...I don't think God works that way  ???

[quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7185.msg95815#msg95815 date=1224327638]
    um... well i guess so....
    look i really need ur prayers...school isnt on my mind at the moment.. so unless my other problems are solved i'll never be able to concentrate on my studies..
    please pray for me...

My prayers are yours :)
  • lol sorry. but i am on during exams hahaha

English was pretty good.
    I used that story about Andrew and Mario as my related text lol.
    I found i had allot to write about it. For My institutions essay. (the government and religion as an institution). Stuff like that haha.
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg95934#msg95934 date=1224496188]
    I reckon ppl worry too much about their UAI...there really are other ways to get around in life. I mean of course its great to have, but people love to panic about it much more than they need to. It's just that classic Egyptian mentality I suppose, (get a 99.5+ in the HSC and become a doctor/pharmacist/engineer) 

For example, there is a certain priest in Sydney who gives out 'contracts' to HSC students. The contracts say that you have to pray every day, read your Bible everyday, confess once a month and study so many hours a day, and in return, you will get a certain mark. I think (since I'm speaking anonymously I can say this) that's crazy and it certainly does a lot of damage too...I don't think God works that way  ???

[quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7185.msg95815#msg95815 date=1224327638]
    um... well i guess so....
    please pray for me...

My prayers are yours :)

Yeah there is this coptic/Egyptian obsession with doctors...
    I now realize that one of the main reasons (beside the fact that it's very interesting) why I considered medicine was the fact that so many people around me were doctors and somehow I wanted to belong to 'that group'.
    I think parents and coptic society in general need to realize that medicine, although a beautiful profession and interesting study, is not the only beautiful profession and interesting study...
    I mean I know people in Egypt who think being a doctor (or engineer) is the only respectable thing you can do, anything else would be second-class. And if you do anything else it's not because you happen to love it, but simply because your magmou3 (grades after sec school) wasn't high enough...
  • lol all egyptians want to be pharmacists,  i hate that :(

Watched my sisters being  pharmacists, looked nothing more than a retailer running a store. It may sound harsh to some of you, but really. They go to uni for 4 to maybe 6 years and at the end just stay waiting in their store for customers.

Engineers are the future :). They are what build up society by everyday developing/enhancing technology for our every day lives.
  • medicine kinda sucks. like a lot of the time. so only do it if you really like it!
    ;)
    (u can quote me 2 yr parents lol)
    yeah and that stuff about 'contracts' sounded dodgy.
    God is more impressed if u r kind to unkind people, give back good for evil, spend time with him in awe and wonder etc than if u get good marks or look like the best person in church.
    anyway who's gonna clean the streets if u all go 2 college?
    :)
  • y do u think medicine sucks? lol jw haha personally i like it and i hope thats wat i major in

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg95934#msg95934 date=1224496188]

not true!!! i kno who ur talking about and he doesnt do that!!!abouna does NOT give u a certain mark!!! all he does is that he says" this is a special year of constant prayer and study... do so and so and God will bless u and give the right mark for the right course for the right purpose!!!  and he dosnt really invent the uninvented!!! he just helps u to be on track!! we all kno that if u study hard, God will give u what u deserve... and we also know the prayers are really inportant!! so whats new??
    besides looking at all the past years, it has worked perfectly!!! people have achieved awesome marks they never even thought of!!! u think if God wasnt so happy with how this is working, he would'v blessed it to that extent??!!!

[quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg95934#msg95934 date=1224496188]
    I think (since I'm speaking anonymously I can say this) that's crazy and it certainly does a lot of damage too...I don't think God works that way  ???

please rethink of what u just wrote.. if u were not anonymous, would u have still said it?? besides why do you say it 'does a lot of damage' ?? have u personally tried it before??
  • [quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7185.msg96004#msg96004 date=1224549441]
    have u personally tried it before??

No I haven't tried it before, and I don't think I will. I admit it works for a certain type of person, but it doesn't work for everyone. As to the damage I was talking about, what happens if you don't get the mark you want? People will probably blame God. It puts a certain obligation on God that I don't believe He ever agreed to be part of. Its kinda like twisting God's arm... And what happens when they finish their HSC?  They might say "Thanks for that God, I'll take it from here" and stop. The habits that the contracts encourage mean nothing unless they are done out of sincerity, not done with an ulterior motive. There's no denying that many of the people in the contracts start praying just so that they can get the mark they want. Where' the sincerity man?

The way I see it, first and foremost in getting the most out of your spiritual life is humility, and complete and total submission. The very word 'contract' defies that! Its a two way deal!
    "OK God here I am praying and I'm confessing but remember I need that mark." That's not submission, that's a business deal :-\ If I've learned anything, its that God cannot work in us unless we truly give EVERYTHING over to Him and submit completely. I've learned that the hard way so many times, you'd think I'd have learned by now lol. As Christians, we have to admit that God knows best, and then we have to give Him complete control and let Him give us what we need. But with these contracts, we seem to insist that the UAI is what we need. I have absolute faith that if God wants me to have a good UAI, I will get one. If God doesn't, so be it - He wants me to do something else. We don't need a contract to tell us to get to know God, that's its own reward.

Again that's just my opinion, but I stick by it.

God bless and pray 4 me :)
  • i respect ur personal opinion samuel :) but [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96032#msg96032 date=1224567939] As to the damage I was talking about, what happens if you don't get the mark you want? People will probably blame God.
    see thats exactly what i mean!! its not a two way deal because there's not mark mentioned in the contract (nd mind u if there's anything wrong with this then its that word 'contact' coz that does make it sound like a two way business deal)... but trust me, the contract does NOT have a specific mark in there!!!  and hence no one (mature) would blame God for not giving him something He never promised to give!!
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96032#msg96032 date=1224567939]It puts a certain obligation on God that I don't believe He ever agreed to be part of. Its kinda like twisting God's arm...
    no its not twisting God's arm... its more of relying on him... such ideas have been mentioned in the bible before and have been practised by the church in various occasions...(eg... that 'nadr' thing that egyptians have always been doing... where the individual asks God to grant them something and if He does then they do a specific thing in return (whether its thru money,fasting for a specific period..etc))
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96032#msg96032 date=1224567939]And what happens when they finish their HSC?  They might say "Thanks for that God, I'll take it from here" and stop.
    why would they do that?? infact its more likely that through 'contract' the individual willl be closer to God than before...
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96032#msg96032 date=1224567939]"OK God here I am praying and I'm confessing but remember I need that mark."
    when people pray and fast for a particular issue, do they do that?? the pope pretty much fasts the whole entire year (minus the feats) because of the problem he faces as a pope, do u think he thinks like that??? i doubt it...

[quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96032#msg96032 date=1224567939]If I've learned anything, its that God cannot work in us unless we truly give EVERYTHING over to Him and submit completely. I've learned that the hard way so many times, you'd think I'd have learned by now lol. As Christians, we have to admit that God knows best, and then we have to give Him complete control and let Him give us what we need.

thats exactly right!!! and as far as i understand thats what the contract is about : it cancels all those worldy stuff (msn, facebook,...) and allows the student to live a life of submission to God only....

look honestly practically the contract is only a one way deal, where we submit ouselves to God.. it just cancells all those unwanted stuff such as msn and puts other stuff instead such as praying a certain hr of the agbia... other than that, THERE IS NO PARTICULAR UAI MENTIONED!!! all we want instead is His blessing and peace....
    and if the contract has got any more than that, then I definitely agree with you samuel....
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96032#msg96032 date=1224567939]

The way I see it, first and foremost in getting the most out of your spiritual life is humility, and complete and total submission. The very word 'contract' defies that! Its a two way deal!
    "OK God here I am praying and I'm confessing but remember I need that mark." That's not submission, that's a business deal :-\ If I've learned anything, its that God cannot work in us unless we truly give EVERYTHING over to Him and submit completely. I've learned that the hard way so many times, you'd think I'd have learned by now lol. As Christians, we have to admit that God knows best, and then we have to give Him complete control and let Him give us what we need. But with these contracts, we seem to insist that the UAI is what we need. I have absolute faith that if God wants me to have a good UAI, I will get one. If God doesn't, so be it - He wants me to do something else. We don't need a contract to tell us to get to know God, that's its own reward.

Again that's just my opinion, but I stick by it.

God bless and pray 4 me :)

Very nicely put...

and just a remark on that part in bold: if God doesn't allow you to receive the best marks, after having studied very hard, He might have something else in store for you that's a lot better than you could ever have imagined...
    Afterall, look how many people end up doing completely different things than what they had studied for, many of them are happy with the way things worked out as God managed it

God Bless
  • Thanks godislove,

its true, the HSC isn't the key to heaven, its the road to a very narrow spectrum of possible paths in life. There's an entire world outside of it!

God does amazing things for us when we let Him :)
  • Yes the fact that there is no particualr UAI involved changes things a bit, I've obviously heard rumours. All of what you've said makes sense, and I'm sure the contract works for many of the people that use it. But, there are some who use it wrongly, and for the wrong reasons. Its not the contract itself that is damaging but the  way people use it.

[quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7185.msg96033#msg96033 date=1224570204]
    its not a two way deal because there's not mark mentioned in the contract (nd mind u if there's anything wrong with this then its that word 'contact' coz that does make it sound like a two way business deal)... but trust me, the contract does NOT have a specific mark in there!!!  and hence no one (mature) would blame God for not giving him something He never promised to give!!

Regardless of whether there is a specific mark in the contract, people use it with a good mark in mind. You cant deny that lots of people enter the contract as a means of securing that mark. Like you said, its not a problem for the mature people. Like everything else, this can be used well and it can be used poorly. Its the immature people, people who don't really want the relationship with God, but only want the mark where the problem is going to go.

[quote author=Trinity+ link=topic=7185.msg96033#msg96033 date=1224570204]
    why would they do that?? infact its more likely that through 'contract' the individual willl be closer to God than before...
    They'd do that because as rewarding as being with God is, it ain't easy. If they're initial commitment was not sincere, its going to end the second they stop needing it.

The Egyptian mentality is that you study hard no matter how much you don't want to because. Its about 5 tutors stuffing numbers and formulas into your head until they stick and above all getting good results. Again it works for some but there are too many people doing it who shouldn't be. The journey is more important than the end in this case, and its more important to learn how to learn than it is to pass a test. My main objection to that mentality is that it destroys the idea of a well-rounded person. It reasons that it is OK to neglect your social life, your sporting life and even your other subjects in order to get a good mark. The end result is people who have memorised every formula in a textbook, but if you change just one aspect of the problem, or ask them to apply any formula in a way other than they're used to, they can't do it. It kills creativity...

Oh well, this is an interesting discussion ey :)

Pray for me!
  • well we have an agreement then ;)no way i'll say that the contract (or any other plan) would work for EVERYONE, without exceptions.. thats definitely impossible!!! there are heaps of immature people who will tend to harm themselves with their way of thinking even if the actual plan is correct...
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7185.msg96048#msg96048 date=1224585373]
    Thanks godislove,

its true, the HSC isn't the key to heaven, its the road to a very narrow spectrum of possible paths in life. There's an entire world outside of it!

God does amazing things for us when we let Him :)

i certainly agree with that.. i dont think i even want to get into a career that needs my full dedication (medicine for example)... i actually want time for my other doors of life (church, family,...etc)....
    rabena ma3ak....
  • Oops, sorry , mahraeel, i don't mean to put u off medicine, because it can also be very fulfilling, and, like any other job you do to please God, it is serving God.
    Just it's not as exciting as some people make out, and I don't want all these bright teenagers to feel under any cultural pressure to do it.
    I pray you know God's will as you go through university and the rest of your life.
    I saw from your posts u met HH in USA, can I shake your hand?!
    Wow, i am impressed  :)
  • this is my perspective on things in regards to pharmacy
    Pharmacy: all you do is sell drugs... if you go to your local woolworths ( and walmart if you are in america) they sell panadol there, there is no need for a pharmacist.. im not sure if all pharmacies do this but i even saw some sell laudary detergent (are  they that desperate for money??)

anyone who does pharmacy comment on my statement

sal-liny.. :)
  • Ever considered becoming a pilot? Pretty cool job if you ask me...

• [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7185.msg96216#msg96216 date=1224876274]
    Oops, sorry , mahraeel, i don't mean to put u off medicine, because it can also be very fulfilling, and, like any other job you do to please God, it is serving God.
    Just it's not as exciting as some people make out, and I don't want all these bright teenagers to feel under any cultural pressure to do it.
    I pray you know God's will as you go through university and the rest of your life.
    I saw from your posts u met HH in USA, can I shake your hand?!
    Wow, i am impressed  :)

lol no its okayy haha thanks for your prayer=))

Yes i have met him.  it was a great blessing=)
    LOl my hand is free you could have it :P

+mahraeel+