Agbeya

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey guys!
I ran into a verse in the Bible that made me wonder: doesn't this apply to the agbeya? It's Matt.6:7
I know all the reasons for praying from the agbeya but still...
Anyone who knows more about this????
???

Comments

• I've always thought that this chapter is about your motives and intentions. Let's take a look at the verse...

6:1 Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
    6:2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
    6:3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
    6:4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
    6:5 And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
    6:6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
    6:7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
    6:8 Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

I think Christ is teaching us to pray with a pure heart, rather than just reciting words over and over again. We use the Agpeya because its words are beautiful and (ideally) what should be in our own hearts. i.e- during the Prayer of Thanksgiving, we should be truly thankful...to pray it when we're NOT thankful would be like trying to deceive God!

God isn't concerned with how long or how fancy our prayer is, but this verse tells us that our prayer must be sincere, from the heart. I think we should use the Agpeya to change ourselves, to conform to God's will...because all the prayers of the Agpeya (I think) have their basis in scripture. Therefore, if we pray from the Agpeya without having put in our hearts the words we are saying, we become like the heathen who are trying to impress God. God isn't impressed by mere words...but by what you truly cry out from your heart.

Anyone feel free to correct me, as this is just my personal contemplation.
  • This makes sense, but doesn't that mean that when I'm i.e. not feeling thankful or sad at the time of prayer, I would have to skip the thankfull/sad parts? After all, Agbeya prayers hold various feelings and situations in one prayer.
    And when this is true, what is then left of the Agbeya? Then what's the point in using it?

Again, I know why we have the Agbeya, and I don't disagree with praying from it, not at all. But I just keep thinking about this thing.... :-\
  • I think we're supposed to always be thankful for the blessings God bestowed on us, but even in times of trouble, we should be thankful because we have faith that 'all things work together for good to those who love God', we know God is always there, that's enough reason to be thankful at all times..
    And I think the same applies to repentance and feeling remorse for one's sins, feeling the greatness and goodness of God, inevitably makes a person see their sinful state and feel bad about it...

So even when we're not happy we should thank God, and even when we're not sad we should remember our sins (as it says in psalm 50: I know of my trespasses and my sin is always in front of me) and feel remorse... but of course this is easier said than done :(

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • In The Name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God.

Hello Brother,

I think prayer by itself is the work of the spirit but not the flesh. For those like us who live in the flesh let alone the "Agbeya" but the shortest prayer of "Our Father" will be like climbing a mountain.
          That is why The Lord said...

Matthew 26:41 (King James Version)
    41Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

"Agbeya" is a powerful prayer and needs preparation in the spirit. One needs to be fat and strong in the spirit. How would u become strong in the spirit? by FASTING.
      FASTING IS THE MOTHER OF PRAYER.
    When one becomes strong in the spirit "Agbeya" will be as an introduction to his prayer session. Pray as much as you are strong in the spirit. Always fight the flesh to grow in the spirit.
  • I guess you guys are right. Thank you for answering my questions. (I still have a lot more)

Please pray for me that I may grow in the spirit. Pray for me that I may receive the strength to fight the flesh.
    Because on my own strength it's so impossible....