I need evidence

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Dear All,
I've got a problem. One of my close friends is Greek Orthodox. Unfortunately, he dosen't attend church as one parent refuses the idea of church totally and he only goes on New Year's and Christmas. he wanted to come to the Coptic orthodox church to see it and to revive his spiritual life. I invited him to an excursion at the church, he asked his mum and she refused. Her reason is that he is Greek Orthodox and i'm coptic orthoodx, she is afraid that he will drift from his home church. I wrote to her saying, that the Coptic Pope and the Greek Pope in Egypt have signed an agreement of the ONE faith and have allowed inter-marriages, which proves that we are essentialy the same. She was convinced, but at the last minute she changed her mind. This friend is eager to come to the church, but his mother won't allow him.

Is there any evidence that i can prove to her that we are the same, but diffrent families?
Is there evidence that we are of the same faith, and we are very similiar?
What can i do to bring him to church?

I ask that if Orthodx11 can help me, and any other Greek orthodox person can help me, It will be appreciated.

Thank you for your help,

pray for my weakness,

Coptic Youth.

Comments

• http://www.orthodoxunity.org/

All the agreed statements between the churches can be found there I believe.
  • I am under the impression that these statements apply only to the Patriarchate in Alexandria, and not the Greek Orthodox Church as a whole.
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=7092.msg94128#msg94128 date=1220482598]
    http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state05.html

this only supports the marriage unity but not anything else. i don't see how can this claim help you to bring freind to church. except if you going to get hima girl to get married to from our churhc!!!!
  • Well don't mention conversion at all yet, just say its an opportunity for your friend to grow in God until they are able to go to their own church more often, and since we're similar you feel that this will give your friend a chance to get a feel for the Orthodox faith and come closer to it.
  • I've tried all theses agreements, btw this person is a guy and im in melbourne.

Pray for my weakness,

coptic youth
  • [quote author=SilentOne link=topic=7092.msg94136#msg94136 date=1220493664]
    Well don't mention conversion at all yet, just say its an opportunity for your friend to grow in God until they are able to go to their own church more often, and since we're similar you feel that this will give your friend a chance to get a feel for the Orthodox faith and come closer to it.

conversion? you can't convert an orthodox to orthodox...both are orthodox churchs who have the exact same faith..the difference is in the language..it is a problem in our coptic church that we lack communicational skills with different countries around the globe..oh my god i can't believe you think orthodox convert from coptic to greek lol. when we say 'coptic orthodox' or 'greek orthodox' the words 'coptic' and 'greek' are just there to indicate the place where the church is. there are ethiopian orthodox (right? is that what it is called) doesn't mean they are different JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T SAY THE PRAYERS IN COPTIC LANGUAGE!!!!
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=7092.msg94146#msg94146 date=1220533277]
    [quote author=SilentOne link=topic=7092.msg94136#msg94136 date=1220493664]
    Well don't mention conversion at all yet, just say its an opportunity for your friend to grow in God until they are able to go to their own church more often, and since we're similar you feel that this will give your friend a chance to get a feel for the Orthodox faith and come closer to it.

conversion? you can't convert an orthodox to orthodox...both are orthodox churchs who have the exact same faith..the difference is in the language..it is a problem in our coptic church that we lack communicational skills with different countries around the globe..oh my god i can't believe you think orthodox convert from coptic to greek lol. when we say 'coptic orthodox' or 'greek orthodox' the words 'coptic' and 'greek' are just there to indicate the place where the church is. there are ethiopian orthodox (right? is that what it is called) doesn't mean they are different JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T SAY THE PRAYERS IN COPTIC LANGUAGE!!!!

Yes we are both orthodox but we are not in full communion with each other(yet). When a greek orthodox(or any other eastern orthodox) comes to our church and they want to be a member they must receive the chrismation(myron) before being accepted.
  • Mnc, conversions can occur for we are not in full communion yet. When the person is Chrismated, that is considered a conversion because they are no longer considered part of the Eastern Orthodox communion but part of the Oriental Orthodox communion. Both churches however look down upon conversions between the two faiths for we are getting very close to full communion again.