Joyce Meyer

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,

I'd like to know if its OK to listen to evangelicals like Joyce Meyer? I heard a few of her talks and I thought they were quite good actually. But I'd like to know if listening to her or other evangelical speakers for that matter is OK with respect to what they say: is it theologically/spiritually in contradiction with our faith/beliefs?

Comments

• In The name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God, Amen!

Dear Sir,

Let us forget all the heresy they will slowly drag from behind. The Bible says this...
    For everything our Church do or forbid to do we follow The Bible. We don't edit The Bible like they do. Sorry!

1 Corinthians 14(King James Version)
    34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2)(King James Version)
    11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

May God help us to see how full our Church is... as it is. They r the ones who should come to us. Would u beg for a poison when u have milk and honey in ur hands? don't listen to them, don't go to their gathering. Explore how rich we r, then u will have rest in ur heart.

• [quote author=binC link=topic=7045.msg93797#msg93797 date=1218721026]
    In The name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God, Amen!

Dear Sir,

Let us forget all the heresy they will slowly drag from behind. The Bible says this...
    For everything our Church do or forbid to do we follow The Bible. We don't edit The Bible like they do. Sorry!

1 Corinthians 14(King James Version)
    34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2)(King James Version)
    11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

May God help us to see how full our Church is... as it is. They r the ones who should come to us. Would u beg for a poison when u have milk and honey in ur hands? don't listen to them, don't go to their gathering. Explore how rich we r, then u will have rest in ur heart.

dispite the good intention against them, not being in our faith, the verses are sexist. and they can't be used in this case. why, because when you have to rebuke someone, you do so in his own beliefes....not yours. so using these verses dooesn't help, because she's just a speaker......like many protestatns "churchs". it's not wrong in their "faith"....so what you attack is the "FAITH"....not the woman of that faith.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93795#msg93795 date=1218715705]
    Hi,

I'd like to know if its OK to listen to evangelicals like Joyce Meyer? I heard a few of her talks and I thought they were quite good actually. But I'd like to know if listening to her or other evangelical speakers for that matter is OK with respect to what they say: is it theologically/spiritually in contradiction with our faith/beliefs?

I think it is ok to listen to what she says, aslong as you keep in mind that she is a evangelical.
    and if you find something she is saying is not right you can always discuss is with other people.

Don't know if it is relevent but once there was a anba visiting my church and i remember someone asked if it was ok to learn more about other religions. the answer he received was that i always is usefull to know a lot about other religions so that you can defend yourself when someone is having a discussion with you about it.

knowlege is one of the most important things isn't it?
  • [quote author=*magdalena* link=topic=7045.msg93799#msg93799 date=1218729184]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93795#msg93795 date=1218715705]
    Hi,

knowlege is one of the most important things isn't it?

No knowledge is most definetely not the most important thing. Take St. Simon the shoemaker, he was a very simple person and took all of scripture as literal so when he looked at a woman in the wrong way he plucked out his eye. He did this because of his great love for our Lord and his complete belief in his faith. Now i'm not saying take scripture literally but our faith and beliefs and love for God is whats important not knowledge. As st. Paul said, if you have anything without faith and love its all in vain.
  • OK, but I would just like to know has Joyce Meyer said ANYTHING that is in contradiction with our faith??

You've all answered with stuff like the fact she is a woman is in contradiction with our faith. lol.. but, other than that, has she said anything that is not compatible with our Orthodox teachings??

Thanks
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93801#msg93801 date=1218734082]
    OK, but I would just like to know has Joyce Meyer said ANYTHING that is in contradiction with our faith??

You've all answered with stuff like the fact she is a woman is in contradiction with our faith. lol.. but, other than that, has she said anything that is not compatible with our Orthodox teachings??

Thanks

well i havn't listen to her at all. but she's a protestant. Vassilios, "el-gawab yet-3eref min 3enwano"
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7045.msg93802#msg93802 date=1218737394]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93801#msg93801 date=1218734082]
    OK, but I would just like to know has Joyce Meyer said ANYTHING that is in contradiction with our faith??

Thanks

well i havn't listen to her at all. but she's a protestant. Vassilios, "el-gawab yet-3eref min 3enwano"

Mina,

Please, if u get a chance, tell me if she says ANYTHING that is contradictory to our faith and dogmas???

Thanks
  • I know a lot of people who listen to these evangelicals.  The biggest problem with this kind of thing is that Satan loves to play around in these situations.  First you think her words sound good, and then it's like "Wow, that makes sense."  And then before you know it, you are a protestant.  (NOW, I KNOW YOU'RE ALL LIKE "I'M NOT GONNA DO THAT").  Personally, the number of kids who said they're not gonna do drugs or get into drunk driving accidents is too high for anyone to say "I'm not gonna do that."  The reason why I use car accidents is because it's a very obiquitous and real phenomenon that we can all testify to.  Personally, I don't like listening to these people for various reasons: 1) They yell and scream a lot (some of them at least)  2) They're sermons have no spirituality; all they talk about is morality and how you should treat people and stuff like that.  One of the best things I love about hearing a sermon in the COC, especially from a priest from Egypt, is the stories of real people who demonstrate what spiritual life really means through the working of God's grace in their lives.  3) I feel that they're sermons have no depth, their contemplation is really superficial; they take one verse and stay on it.  They don't connect it with any other verses and when they do connect it with other verses it's not always consistent.  You can't link something from St. Paul's letters to something in Leviticus.  They are two completely different books, with two completely different purposes and content.  My advice would be watch at your own risk.  If you know you are the kind of person who is easily swayed and not strong in your faith then stay away.  Yes it is beneficial for us to learn about other religions so we can argue but only within limits so that we ourselves don't lose sight of the true faith.
  • I disagree with the above poster completely.  I can't believe that you compare listening to evangelicals with doing drugs or drunk driving. Thats a real shame. Do you really think Orthodox Christians are the only ones that will make it to Heaven.  I highly doubt it and as Christians lets not be judges.

Christianity and morality are intertwined and it is very important that we realize that.  Going to Church, learning coptic and memorizing hymns does not make us Christians!!!! We have to live it daily.  How you treat people is very very important and that is what evangelicals preach about a lot.  Unfortunatley we Copts tend not to link the two, so at church we are so spiritual and holy and outside we are so immoral  (cheating on exams, lying, holding grudges, not forgiving others, bribing,seeking revenge etc) and seem to think its ok.  Going to church and participating in the rituals is not enough.  What kind of people we are outside of church is very important. 

I think its great that they link different parts of the Bible together, its all messages from God presented to us in different ways.  It reinforces Gods promises to us.  There are differences between us and protestants but I believe we can still benefit a lot from their teachings.
  • [quote author=grace08 link=topic=7045.msg93807#msg93807 date=1218767085]
    I disagree with the above poster completely.  I can't believe that you compare listening to evangelicals with doing drugs or drunk driving. Thats a real shame. Do you really think Orthodox Christians are the only ones that will make it to Heaven.  I highly doubt it and as Christians lets not be judges.

you are right.....grugs and drinking is far easier to deal with then a protestant.....

DO NOT INLCUDE GOING TO HEAVEN AND CHURCHS HERE. you want to learn about it, before anyone response on this topic, cheack this topic: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=5715.0
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=4056.0

we are here to deal with what's wrong......and "Joyce Meyer" is wrong...why, easy to say becasue she's a protestatn. it's that simpel.
  • [quote author=grace08 link=topic=7045.msg93807#msg93807 date=1218767085]
    Christianity and morality are intertwined and it is very important that we realize that.  Going to Church, learning coptic and memorizing hymns does not make us Christians!!!! We have to live it daily.  How you treat people is very very important and that is what evangelicals preach about a lot.  Unfortunatley we Copts tend not to link the two, so at church we are so spiritual and holy and outside we are so immoral  (cheating on exams, lying, holding grudges, not forgiving others, bribing,seeking revenge etc) and seem to think its ok.  Going to church and participating in the rituals is not enough.  What kind of people we are outside of church is very important. 

HUGE mistake speaking for ALL the COPTS. you are one of them, i am one of them, our POPE and many other SAINTS lving amongst us are all copts. Who are you to generally through them away on the side.

What i person is what HE/SHE does, not what ALL of their fellow believers are. making such a generlization is just not good to deal with anything in this world.

I think its great that they link different parts of the Bible together, its all messages from God presented to us in different ways.  It reinforces Gods promises to us.  There are differences between us and protestants but I believe we can still benefit a lot from their teachings.

How can a teaching be benefitial if it is based on NOTHING. a house cannot stand without the cornerstone.
    The protestant "church" have NO rites, tradition, priesthood, intercessions, sacremants...etc. how can somthing goood come out of that.

If a tree produces a bad fruit, the whole tree is bad.

the ultimate bible verse to prove protestatns wrong is:

James 2:17
    Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Also:

James 2:20
    But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?

And

James 2:26
    For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

• Look, whether they are going to heaven or not, or whether Copts get a higher position in heaven than Protestants does not answer my question:

My question was : Has Joyce Meyer said anything dogmatically or theologically contradictory to our faith or dogma???

From what I've seen so far, the only wrong doing is from the posts I've seen here. I've never seen a more judgemental bunch of people than the Coptic Christians in this forum.

I'm not asking u whether Joyce is going to heaven or not. Im asking whether she has said anything that is in contradiction to our faith or dogmas.

Cheers,

Ps Finally - Please - use a  spell checker before writing as a few of the responses were very hard to understand due to bad spelling.
  • Dear QT,

Why r those Ecumenical councils necessary we have no difference? and Joice Meyer is not a denomination by herself but one preacher from the Protestant. If u go and ask her she will say " I represent the protestant."  QT where do u belong? I tell u u know nothing more than the forefathers who said the protestants r different. Her sermons may not directly attack our Truth but if u sit and talk with her she will tell u all the twisted interpretation of The Bible verses.
      Why don't just believe me on this? u saw only their skin which is The Bible but they r not sheep but wolves. They will rip u off all u got. 
    They will take away The Church from u, they will take away The Holy Sacrament from u, they will take away The Holy Theotokos from u, they will take away all Angles from u, they will take away all Saints, they will take away ur confession father, they will take away all books the holy fathers have written.
    They say only scripture so that u won't attack them by the writings of early fathers.
    They will take away the sacred mystry of repentance by saying we r all priests.
    They never allow u to get closer to God through the intercessions of Saints by saying glory to God only, only Jesus.
      They take away all good works and efforts to resemble the holy fathers by fasting b/c they will tell u that u r saved by grace.   

An Ecumenical council (or oecumenical council; also general council) is a conference of the bishops of the whole Church convened to discuss and settle matters of Church doctrine and practice. (from wikipedia.org)
  • Hello QT,

I do not think listening to the tele-evangelist preachers is wrong. Infact, I used to listen to them whenever I had the opportunity.They are very articulate ,charismatic and have a way of attracting people thru their 'fake' abilities.Most of the time, they talk biblical facts without imposing their own version of theology. As such, they do not sound strange to me when they recite ,for example,the beatitudes as they are outlined in the NT.The problem arises when you look at their ways of life and real intentions.Most of the prominent evangelists do not practice what they preach. Let me give you few examples:

1) Pat Robertson - This guy is a pathetic fanatic who at one point called for the assasination of the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. When he was confronted by other Christians that he was deviating from the peaceful teaching of Christ, instead of realizing his utter mistake and blunder,he went on to make an outlandish claim that he was speaking in 'tongues', when he made that call. In other words, it was not his fault,but that of the Holy Spirit.

2) Jimmy Swaggart - Another charlatan who claims to be full of the Holy Spirit  was caught with a prostitute. He admitted his fall infront of his audiance and asked the Lord for forgiveness. Before his suspension to preach had expired,he was said to have claimed that if he did not return to the pulpit right away, millions of people would go to hell. This  move against the ruling of  his church authority was regarded  as  serious transgression and saw it as an evidence that the man did not genuinely repent .As a result of his actions, he was defrocked . Not long after that, the idiot was caught again with another harlot in  a busy interstate motel.

3) Jim Baker - This dumbo had embezzled millions of dollars and bribed some folks to silence them.He also raped one of his staff member and was in deep trouble with the law. I have no clue what he doing these days.

4) Morris Cerullo - This guy claimed to have met an angel on the street, who took him to heaven. He boldly claimed to have seen God face to face. The 'Prophet' Mohammed must have tossed in his grave, ehh? He had always 'performed' healing ceremonies on stage ,- the lame walks,the blind sees,the deaf hears ,- kind of miracles.Alas,he too had defrauded his congregation and stole money and invested it in real estate. Because of his immense legal problems in the US, the clown moved to the UK, shamed and defanged eversince.

5 ) Bunny Hill -- This guy talks about the bible so much so that you fall in love with his preaching. Even my Abouna Girgis told me once, how he liked his preachings.Of course, Abouna was not enthusiatsic when I expressed my desire to attend one of Hill's seminary. Perhaps Abouna symphatised with Benny Hill palestinian background,I have no idea.However, his claims about healing thru the power of the Holy Spirit is hogwash. Todate, there is no single person that was cured thru his acrobatics.He is a good business man. His ministry has a turnover of $120 million a year.  He possess exquisite homes in Florida, the sunshine state and in Encino ,California where freaks like Michael Jackson reside.As of lately, he asked his congregation for donations so that he could buy his own Jet for his Godly missions.

All these people and others claim that they are full of the HOLY SPIRIT ,the true candidates of the heavenly kingdom, and that they speak in tongues and perform miracles.According to St Paul, the age of tongue speaking is no more,for the purpose had been fulfilled. While I believe in miracles, the Holy spirit would certainly not descend upon these masters of deceit.

So to answer your question, while it may not be wrong ( depends on the person's faith - it could also backfire and has the potential danger of attracting Copts to similar sects) to hear what they have to say, Knowing their sincere motive is very important.
  • Hello Qt,

I understand where you are coming from, however, I think you should read what binC wrote. I just want to make it clear that not all of us are well prepared in scripture, meaning that it is very easy for one of us to follow a wrong teaching (we are as someone mentioned earlier, sheep among wolves). It is very easy for someone to twist the truth of the Holy Bible and convince us that what they are saying is from God; after all, the protestaunts are very well known for taking just one verse and focusing on it rather than looking at the whole spectrum of what is being said. However, i will say that some of what these preachers say is good, in a sense that they try to be more motivational speakers and they can get the crowd going. As far as spiritual advice, Bible study, and any thing that has to do with God - I suggest you listen to orthodox. If you want to get motivated, then feel free to listen to joyce mayer.

GB
    Tony
  • lol.. guys.. guys.. guys!!!

Look, u are all worried that she's going to take me from my Church? How, when after spending years in the catholic and protestant, i discovered that even though I had no Coptic, the Coptic is still better.

I just want to know HAS SHE SAID ANYTHING THAT's THEOLOGICALLY INCORRECT? AND IF SO -WHAT????

Thanks guys.  I know u all have good intentions, I just need an answer for this.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93825#msg93825 date=1218823006]
    lol.. guys.. guys.. guys!!!

Look, u are all worried that she's going to take me from my Church? How, when after spending years in the catholic and protestant, i discovered that even though I had no Coptic, the Coptic is still better.

I just want to know HAS SHE SAID ANYTHING THAT's THEOLOGICALLY INCORRECT? AND IF SO -WHAT????

Thanks guys.  I know u all have good intentions, I just need an answer for this.

I personally have never heard about this preacher. But, like all other evangelists, if she claims and she will certainly claim to speak in 'fire of tongues',or that the miracle of tongue speaking still exists then the rest of her mumbo jumbo is irrelavant. The belief in 'speaking in tongues' is the bedrock component of their faith,  meaning,in other words, such claim is theologically incorrect.
  • Qt,

It should not make a difference if she said anything theologically incorrect or not because you should not be listening to her if you want to learn about the Bible, spirituality, and anything to do with God. Why? Because these evanglicals have their own interpretations and can lead us into something incorrect, especially if they are anything but orthodox. The only justifying reason to listen to this woman is for encouragement or motivation NOTHING else.

P.S. the protestaunts agree with everything in our creed except the part about the a one holy catholic (universal) and apostolic church

GB
    Tony
  • The problem is by far more dangerous than a kid listening to Joyce Meyer or Benny Henn or Billy Graham, it is a matter of approach to the faith that totally neglects the sacraments and just considers the faith as an emotional ride and a "prosperity" message. The faith is based on the sacrament and the liturgy, and neglecting this is equivalent to be non-christian. It is not any different than listening to a inspirational muslim  sheikh or a Hindu guru, for they too make us "uplifted".

It is not listening to a business woman like Joyce Meyers that is dangerous, it is not even discerning the catastrophy and realizing it that casts a dark shadow over the future of the Church. It is now very normal and accepted to find books by TV-evangelists in our bookstore, being used in Servant preparation classes, used as material for sermons, .... 
  • well said stavro
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=7045.msg93828#msg93828 date=1218824008]
    The problem is by far more dangerous than a kid listening to Joyce Meyer or Benny Henn or Billy Graham, it is a matter of approach to the faith that totally neglects the sacraments and just considers the faith as an emotional ride and a "prosperity" message. The faith is based on the sacrament and the liturgy, and neglecting this is equivalent to be non-christian. It is not any different than listening to a inspirational muslim  sheikh or a Hindu guru, for they too make us "uplifted".

It is not listening to a business woman like Joyce Meyers that is dangerous, it is not even discerning the catastrophy and realizing it that casts a dark shadow over the future of the Church. It is now very normal and accepted to find books by TV-evangelists in our bookstore, being used in Servant preparation classes, used as material for sermons, .... 

Look, Im sure u are ALL smart and intelligent people. OK! I'm not asking whether the protestant faith is correct or not. I'm asking if Joyce Meyer has said ANYTHING that contradicts with anything we believe in. Although she's evangelical, she speaks to all denominations, so she wouldn't start talking about the need not to have priests or to have priests. She wouldnt do that. But during her talks, has she said anything that is dogmatically or theologically incoherent with our faith.

Has anyone here even BOTHERED to hear any of her talks?
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7045.msg93826#msg93826 date=1218823554]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93825#msg93825 date=1218823006]
    lol.. guys.. guys.. guys!!!

I personally have never heard about this preacher. But, like all other evangelists, if she claims and she will certainly claim to speak in 'fire of tongues',or that the miracle of tongue speaking still exists then the rest of her mumbo jumbo is irrelavant. The belief in 'speaking in tongues' is the bedrock component of their faith,  meaning,in other words, such claim is theologically incorrect.

Hezekiel,

I know MANY Coptic Orthodox Chrisitans (Church servents!) who believe that speaking in tongues is a gift from God. I don't believe that actually. But these same people are good Christians. I mean, they are really God fearing.

Anyway - that's not the point - a lot of protestants may hear a sermon say from H.H Pope Shenouda and say to themselves "That was brilliant". He can say words of benefit that will appeal to any Christian denomination (obviously given that he does not mention anything to do with the theological differences etc).

The same way for us listening to a protestant speaker: I just need to know if what she says (her actual theology, or spirituality) is that coherent with our faith and dogmas??
  • Hello everyone,

Though I personally have not heard one of Joyce Meyer's "talks," I did a bit of research on her in order to address the issue that has been raised here of listening to her. I have copied and pasted the following from a site:

"She believes, like all cults, that Jesus didn't pay for your sins on the cross. That he was tormented in Hell by demons, that he lost his deity, that in essence Christ's blood was insufficient to pay for your sins, making the cross of no effect. She says Jesus had to be burned and tormented in Hell. She says that unless you believe that he was tortured in hell you can not go to heaven. She claims she is sinless."

"Jesus paid on the cross and in hell….God rose up from His throne and said to demon powers tormenting the sinless Son of God, “Let Him go.” Then the resurrection power of Almighty God went through hell and filled Jesus…He was resurrected from the dead three-fourths the first born-again man."

“I might as well go and smack Him right in the face if I’m going to go around and feel guilty and condemned. Every time you feel guilty and condemned it’s just like slapping Him in the face and saying, You didn’t do a good job. You didn’t do a complete job. I’m an old rotten this and I’m an old rotten that.”

“I’m going to tell you something folks, I didn’t stop sinning until I finally got it through my thick head I wasn’t a sinner anymore. And the religious world thinks that’s heresy and they want to hang you for it. But the Bible says that I’m righteous and I can’t be righteous and be a sinner at the same time. All I was ever taught to say was, ‘I’m a poor, miserable sinner.’ I am not poor, I am not miserable and I am not a sinner. That is a lie from the pit of hell. That is what I was and if I still am then Jesus died in vain. Amen?”

A quick sidenote on this point: 1 John 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

On this note, I think it is important that we be quite wary of what is being presented to us in regards to God and the Church. Unless one is truly immersed in Orthodox dogmatics and doctrines, it may present a challenge to a person to distinguish if something is dogmatically correct or not. One of the reasons that I often encourage people in my posts to read the Fathers is to be able to make these sorts of distinctions. Recall that Christ in the Gospel of Matthew says the following: "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." There is reason for this statement. I also would like to say that there is a plethora of teachings from our own Fathers in the Church that would take a lifetime to learn and live... why go elsewhere? Beware the little foxes. Appreciate what we have in the Orthodox Church, learn it and live it through the guidance of your father of confession.

Pray for my weakness, I, the sinner,
    childoforthodoxy

•     In the name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God, Amen!!!

Hello QT,

1.But they speak the word of God... so Even the devil knows each verse

Matthew 4 (King James Version)
    6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He    shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

2. But they call The Lord's name and they make miracles...so did the Lord warned us

Matthew 24 (King James Version)
    23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

3. They really confess Jesus...so do the devil

Matthew 8 (King James Version)
    29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

4. Can miracles be any proof? No

John 10:41 (King James Version)
      41And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John  spake of this man were true.

5. They look like true followers of Christ...so did St. Paul said

2 Corinthians 11:13 (King James Version)
      13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

6. What is wrong if we go to their seminars? ...u r told to avoid them.

Romans 16:17
      17Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

7. They r so inspiring in their speech...St. Paul knew this long before and told us also they would throw the fasting rules. 

Romans 16:18
      18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

8. They left out many instructions of the Church and the holy traditions including from the Old Testament...but God said,

Matthew 5(King James Version (KJV)
        17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

9. What do The Lord will say about them? Does He agree with all their work?

May God preserve us all from this judgement 

Matthew 7:21 (King James Version)
    21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

May the mother of God, Theotokos, St. Mary, pray for them even though they don't believe the power of her prayer. But The Bible says of St. Mary...

Isaiah 60:14 (King James Version)
            14The sons also of them that afflicted thee shall come bending unto thee; and all they that despised thee shall bow themselves down at the soles of thy feet; and they shall call thee; The city of the LORD, The Zion of the Holy One of Israel.

• [quote author=childoforthodoxy link=topic=7045.msg93836#msg93836 date=1218867143]
    Hello everyone,

Though I personally have not heard one of Joyce Meyer's "talks," I did a bit of research on her in order to address the issue that has been raised here of listening to her. I have copied and pasted the following from a site:

"She believes, like all cults, that Jesus didn't pay for your sins on the cross. That he was tormented in Hell by demons, that he lost his deity, that in essence Christ's blood was insufficient to pay for your sins, making the cross of no effect. She says Jesus had to be burned and tormented in Hell. She says that unless you believe that he was tortured in hell you can not go to heaven. She claims she is sinless."

"Jesus paid on the cross and in hell….God rose up from His throne and said to demon powers tormenting the sinless Son of God, “Let Him go.” Then the resurrection power of Almighty God went through hell and filled Jesus…He was resurrected from the dead three-fourths the first born-again man."

“I might as well go and smack Him right in the face if I’m going to go around and feel guilty and condemned. Every time you feel guilty and condemned it’s just like slapping Him in the face and saying, You didn’t do a good job. You didn’t do a complete job. I’m an old rotten this and I’m an old rotten that.”

“I’m going to tell you something folks, I didn’t stop sinning until I finally got it through my thick head I wasn’t a sinner anymore. And the religious world thinks that’s heresy and they want to hang you for it. But the Bible says that I’m righteous and I can’t be righteous and be a sinner at the same time. All I was ever taught to say was, ‘I’m a poor, miserable sinner.’ I am not poor, I am not miserable and I am not a sinner. That is a lie from the pit of hell. That is what I was and if I still am then Jesus died in vain. Amen?”

A quick sidenote on this point: 1 John 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

On this note, I think it is important that we be quite wary of what is being presented to us in regards to God and the Church. Unless one is truly immersed in Orthodox dogmatics and doctrines, it may present a challenge to a person to distinguish if something is dogmatically correct or not. One of the reasons that I often encourage people in my posts to read the Fathers is to be able to make these sorts of distinctions. Recall that Christ in the Gospel of Matthew says the following: "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." There is reason for this statement. I also would like to say that there is a plethora of teachings from our own Fathers in the Church that would take a lifetime to learn and live... why go elsewhere? Beware the little foxes. Appreciate what we have in the Orthodox Church, learn it and live it through the guidance of your father of confession.

Pray for my weakness, I, the sinner,
    childoforthodoxy

Are u serious? Gosh! Can u give me the links where u got this information from???

My question was actually concerned if she's said ANYTHING in her talks that are contradictory to our faith. But what u've posted seems to be her opinion. Which is just as bad still..

May I ask u for the links where she states all these things??? I know the differences between us and the protestants, and Im so surprised to hear any of this.
  • In The Name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God, Amen!!!
    Brother QT,

Read this link as an information about Joice Meyer. Even the link is not ours but just to see who she really is as a hint. 

http://www.pfo.org/wan-star.htm

May God help us to discern evil spirits of error through the help of His Archangels
    St. Michael and St. Gabriel. Amen!
  • [quote author=binC link=topic=7045.msg93842#msg93842 date=1218894687]
    In The Name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God, Amen!!!
    Brother QT,

Read this link as an information about Joice Meyer. Even the link is not ours but just to see who she really is as a hint. 

http://www.pfo.org/wan-star.htm

May God help us to discern evil spirits of error through the help of His Archangels
    St. Michael and St. Gabriel. Amen!

Do u have anything against Archangel Raphael?  Why did u miss him out for??
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7045.msg93840#msg93840 date=1218885131]

Are u serious? Gosh! Can u give me the links where u got this information from???

My question was actually concerned if she's said ANYTHING in her talks that are contradictory to our faith. But what u've posted seems to be her opinion. Which is just as bad still..

May I ask u for the links where she states all these things??? I know the differences between us and the protestants, and Im so surprised to hear any of this.

QT,

I do not understand your statement. What she states is her belief, which is in itself contradictory to what we believe. The statements she makes have no biblical reference or foundation, and are indeed contrary to our faith. Are you looking for something in which she speaks in a negative way concerning the Orthodox Church in particular? The likelihood of something of that nature being stated is truly unlikely; recall what I said above concerning the little foxes. It is not as though these heretics will emerge as being completely against our own faith; this is why reading the Fathers is essential as doing this will increase your level of discernment and, with God's grace and assistance, allow you to see the little foxes.

The link is:

http://testallthings.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/joyce-meyer/

Pray,
    childoforthodoxy
  • Hi all,

Well u know, I'm always weary of protestant speakers, but I listened to a few lectures from J. Meyer and found her quite good, but was wondering if I was just fortunate to have fell on a few good lectures out of many heretical-infested lectures. I'll spend some time reading the evidence you've sent.

Of course we do not accept speaking in tongues etc. I agree. And I'm aware that Joyce may be someone who encourages such behaviour, but if u take that out of the equation, what u r left with is in fact some good contemplations. As far as I can see.

Why am I asking? well, its really because I want to be sure so as to encourage or discourage others from listening to this. Living in France etc, we have such a limited amount of sermons in French. In fact there are none. The only lectures we have in French are those from protestant evangelicals such as J.Meyer, who's lectures have been translated.
  •     In The Name of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, One True God, Amen!!!

Brother QT,

I have nothing against Archangel St. Raphael. The Archangels r actually 7 in number and I wrote the first two.
    Where would I be found holding anything against Archangel St. Raphael ?
    I love all Angels even though I am not worthy.

Hope now u have a clear idea of who these protestants r as a whole. Don't expect a righteous person from those who do have no idea how to interpret The Holy Bible.
    Many holy fathers have foretold about this day coming that The True Faith remains in a few countries like Eygpt, Eatern Syria, Ethiopia and alike. No wonder many of these false 
    prophets arise from America.
    May the mercy of God draw them back to us b/c there might be many who r innocent and think they r following the Real Jesus.

May The Love and Peace of God be upon all human beings!!!