Guardian Angels

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

I have another question:

Do we have Guardian Angels?
Where in the Bible does it say we do?
What is their function? What do they guard us from??

What usefulness is a Guardian angel given that we ALREADY have God??

Also, when we sin, we separate ourselves from God. Do we also separate ourselves from our Guardian Angels at that moment also.. or do they stick with us for the whole ride?

Comments

• 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. (Psalm 91)
  • In Re: to your last question, I think by now you should have realized that God uses people and His Angels to participate in His grace. We learn from our mothers virtue, our dad's hard work, etc. God works through us, for us, and with us.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6851.msg91902#msg91902 date=1214791974]
    In Re: to your last question, I think by now you should have realized that God uses people and His Angels to participate in His grace. We learn from our mothers virtue, our dad's hard work, etc. God works through us, for us, and with us.

Clay,
    Which last question? But this question refers to the idea or belief that everyone has a guardian angel.
    When do we receive one? At what point in time?

Guys, this question is on behalf of a friend. (I think the best thing is for them to post the questions themselves, but as u can guess, they are French, not English, so its easier for me to write it for them).

But the question Clay has not been answered.

The verse from Psalms given by Godislove below is a Psalm, its not a Prophecy for each person here that each of us will receive a Guardian Angel.

Where did this idea that each one of us has a guardian angel come from?
  • It was in reply to the question, "What usefulness is a Guardian angel given that we already have God?"

I was never taught that we had a specific guardian angel.
  • Hi QT,

There are two evidences in the bible that tell about the existance of guardian angles.

The first one is when Jesus speaks of guardian angels in the Gospel of Matthew when he says, “See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.”

The 2nd more clear evidence is found in Acts 12 (forgot the verse), where an angel miraculously delivers Peter from prison. When St Petros was freed,he went over to the house of Mari Markos.When the servant of Mary the mother of St Mark, answered the knock at the door,she was very glad  to hear the voice of St Peter, that she left him standing outside and run back to break the good news about the freedom of St Peter.They thought she went mad.When she insisted that it was Peter out from the prison,they said "it must be his angel".

According to the COC, the devil appoints a demon to every born child to ruin their souls.In return, the Lord gives us guardian angles at the time of baptisim and the anointment of the Holy Chrism. In other words, unbaptised people have only demons and no guardian angles that protect them .If I am not wrong, it was St Basil the great who stated that at the side of each believer stands an angel as protector, intercessor and guider.
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6851.msg91894#msg91894 date=1214772922]
    'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. (Psalm 91)

I'm not sure if that quote applies to us because it was quoted by satan when tempting our Lord asking him to throw himself from the pinnacle of the temple. It could be applied to both but i'm not sure. I'm not knowledgable on this subject, i've heard that we are given a guardian angel and a demon who tempts us(one sent by God and the other by the devil) when we are born. Not sure how accurate that is, i would love to learn about this
  • I came upon a site of quotes that address this issue. I picked out the two best ones that I believe will help answer our questions. The first one, from Saint Anthony, is by far the best supporting quote I've seen.

When you close the doors to your dwelling and are alone you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man...This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God, who is in every place; for there is no place and nothing material in which God is not, since He is greater than all things and holds all men in His hand. - St. Antony the Great (On the Character of Men no. 62)

Do not be surprised that you fall every day, do not give up, but stand your ground courageously. And assuredly, the angel who guards you will honor your patience. While a wound is still fresh and warm, it is easy to heal; but old, neglected and festering ones are hard to cure, and require for their care much treatment, cutting, plastering and cauterization. Many from long neglect become incurable, but with God all things are possible. - St. John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent
  • can you please share the website?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6851.msg93138#msg93138 date=1216536468]
    can you please share the website?

Of course. It's a Russian Orthodox website. http://www.orthodox.net/gleanings/sub_all_topics.html It has quotes on just about any topic you can think of. I found these two quotes under Guardian Angels.
  • hey everyone,
    i also stand by the fact that when we  are baptised a  guardian angel is appointed to us by God for our intercession and keep. i got this from the accounts wrritten by revered bisop by the name of Bishop Ingatisus who was also from Russia.