Which is the best CoC book?

edited July 2008 in Random Issues
If you had to travel, and could only take one book with you, which would u pick between:

a) The Agpeya (Australian translated version from Sydney)
b) The Psalmody (Ispsalmodaya)? (Arabic / Coptic Version)

Which one would u pick, and why?

Comments

• Personally, I would pick the Bible because both the agpeya and the psalmodia are completely contained in the Bible.  If you study the liturgical texts, you would find that nearly everything we say in church is either quoted directly or paraphrased from the Bible.  So taking the Bible is like taking the Agpeya, Psalmodia, Pascha, Kholagi (Three Liturgies), all of them.  However, if I had to chose from the two above, I would take the Psalmodia because it has more content.
  • [quote author=Archdeacon link=topic=6960.msg93109#msg93109 date=1216475003]
    Personally, I would pick the Bible because both the agpeya and the psalmodia are completely contained in the Bible.  If you study the liturgical texts, you would find that nearly everything we say in church is either quoted directly or paraphrased from the Bible.  So taking the Bible is like taking the Agpeya, Psalmodia, Pascha, Kholagi (Three Liturgies), all of them.  However, if I had to chose from the two above, I would take the Psalmodia because it has more content.

No. ARch-deacon.. the question was clear:
    Only between the Agpeya and the Psalmody? Which one?? Unfortunately, in this thread, the choice for a Bible is not available.

Please decide.
  • I would choose the Agpeya because I really love praying the Psalms and there are Bible passages within the Agpeya.  Also, the passages after the Gospel readings are very deep in meaning.  Furthermore, there are prayers for repentance, confession, a part from the Holy Psalmody, the before and after Holy Communion prayers, the prayer for asking for God's will, and the prayer for God's accompaniment. Plus, the Psalms are very sweet; you can pray them as if they are your own words. The organized hours of the day, i.e. first, third, sixth hours, etc. keep you with God the entire day.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6960.msg93102#msg93102 date=1216459075]
    If you had to travel, and could only take one book with you, which would u pick between:

a) The Agpeya (Australian translated version from Sydney)
    b) The Psalmody (Ispsalmodaya)? (Arabic / Coptic Version)

Which one would u pick, and why?

Siince you are trevling.....you normaly don't get to go to a church to pray tasbeha. So i'd have to say Agpeya.....just not the Australian version thoo. The one we use in my church is from Canada, i think "St.George and St.Joseph Montreal. I consider the best translation, NKJV except for couple of words in psalm 50 (51)....and of course, we been using it for a long long time in my church, long before i even came to the US to taht church.

can be found here: www.stgeorgestjoseph.ca
  • Agpeya..

Praise is nice but prayer is essential. Besides, an iPod could suffice for the lack of the Psalmody.

I suppose you could even say praise is essential too, but I reckon prayer comes before praise in either case. You can't praise God for his mercy and forgiveness if you have not asked nor thanked for either.