growing up...

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
aghabi everyone,
sometimes in my sunday school class  we would have an open discuusion.  and a lot of it would be about change n stuff.  wat i meen is did u ever realize how teenagers begin to change but they cant help it! it is part of puberty n life changings isnt it? this is an issue that will never avtually end.  wat r ur feelinga about this?

i would like to ask u soemthin.  y is it that wen u do soemthing ppl thing ur different.  for example: first off i meen teens ages 13--17 on average.  for example if u neva put nail polish b4 n u started, ppl autoomatically assume that u changed in a bad way.  y is that.  nd soemtimes its abouna too.

liek is it badd for a girl to worry about her apperance?  sometimes boys n girls go thru their "crush" part of their lives.  if u noe wat i meen? thats somethin that ive been told is a normal thing thru their lives.  rite? so y doo pll judge them so harshly.  ive always been confused about this.  keep in mind wen i say change i don meen ur liek teh worst kid in teh church.  i meen ur juss cjangiing a bit but still in a  way spiritual.  kids have always aksed that. 

/
mahraeel
plzz p4m sister in Christ

Comments

• hey mahraeel
    I understand what you're trying to say here but I also get the concerns of the people around those teens. If you're living in a Western country, you know that their traditions and ideas don't always agree with our thoughts on certain things (as Copts).
    I think what people are afraid of is that Copts (especially teens since they're less experienced and more susceptable to temptation at such a tender age) would forget their religion and traditions and start following the world they live in too much. When they're children it's easier to control them but once they become teens, they start experimenting and wondering about many things, and as a parent you don't have much control anymore. This feeling of powerlessnes, compared with the conviction that a teen is not mature enough to make big decisions, makes parents sometimes overreact on things.

I don't think taking care of your appearance is wrong, but one should be aware of the fact that appearance isn't really important, but I'm not sure whether many teens are aware of this fact. Also the church doesn't condemn friendship between boys and girls, yet our church and our church fathers are experienced enough to know that, when they're friends in group everything is fine, yet when the boy and girl start seeing eachother exclusivly and alone, they become more than friends. That's why our church doesn't support dating, because it can lead to certain sins (I don't need to clarify). The church and most older people simply know that at such a young age true love is not possible, since there is no sense of responsibility and maturity.

Change in itself is not a bad thing, the question is, when we change, do we change for better of for worse???

God Bless
    Please pray for my weakness
  • lol yess  ;Di totally agree and dating is not supported by me!! But how do we make it less noticeable for them to think we are changing when technically we're getting older and u can't be young forever u know?  I mean if u talk to  a boy alone for example they assume its bad wen maybe u were asking him a question about the mass or soemthin. lol idk cuz i never did this so i wouldn't know..But im saying that people would thinkk stuff and u can't juss march up too them and tell them "no, no its not wat ur thinking" u noe wat i mean? r we on the same page here? ???

/
    mahraeel
    plz  p4m sister in Christ
  • Definitly, people sometimes judge you without knowing the complete truth; but in my opinion: as long as you know in your heart you're not doing anything that would upset God, then you shouldn't really worry on what people say or think. For they'll be the ones sinning when they judge you.

God Bless
    Plz pray for me
  • i hope im not bothering u but wat ur saying even abouna?
    sryyy for aall the trouble
    /
    mahraaeel
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6698.msg89534#msg89534 date=1212703478]
    hey mahraeel
    I understand what you're trying to say here but I also get the concerns of the people around those teens. If you're living in a Western country, you know that their traditions and ideas don't always agree with our thoughts on certain things (as Copts).
    I think what people are afraid of is that Copts (especially teens since they're less experienced and more susceptable to temptation at such a tender age) would forget their religion and traditions and start following the world they live in too much. When they're children it's easier to control them but once they become teens, they start experimenting and wondering about many things, and as a parent you don't have much control anymore. This feeling of powerlessnes, compared with the conviction that a teen is not mature enough to make big decisions, makes parents sometimes overreact on things.

I don't think taking care of your appearance is wrong, but one should be aware of the fact that appearance isn't really important, but I'm not sure whether many teens are aware of this fact. Also the church doesn't condemn friendship between boys and girls, yet our church and our church fathers are experienced enough to know that, when they're friends in group everything is fine, yet when the boy and girl start seeing eachother exclusivly and alone, they become more than friends. That's why our church doesn't support dating, because it can lead to certain sins (I don't need to clarify). The church and most older people simply know that at such a young age true love is not possible, since there is no sense of responsibility and maturity.

Change in itself is not a bad thing, the question is, when we change, do we change for better of for worse???

God Bless
    Please pray for my weakness

God is Love pretty much sumurised the whole thing....

Mahraeel.... can  i ask you a question??  why do you always type in a "diferent:" way....  it is hard to read ....
  • heyy coptic pharaoh.  I am very sorry.  It is just a habit.  but plzz continue on the God is Love

By the way is the typing better? LOL
    /
    mahraeel
  • Of course priests are humans like us and they're susceptable to sin and thus they too can misjudge people. But you have to keep in mind that abouna's are generally very experienced since they take confessions a lot and they should also have a thorough knowledge on the spritual struggles, especially those that teens face. I think we have to respect their opinios and value their advice greatly. But if you're sure you're doing the right thing, yet abouna for instance misunderstood you or doesn't know the whole truth and then he misjudges you, then you shouldn't be too bothered by that.

God who is in heaven sees your good works and knows what's in your heart and His opinion of us is what really matters, not those of human beings. When the time is ripe God might allow those people who judged you to see that they were wrong... but that doesn't necessarily happen.

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong
    God bless and keep you
  • OH WOW thank you for bringing this topic up... i really think that as youth we act some muuuccchhh older than we are because we don't want to be patient w/ life live and want to live life in the future and NOT in moment or present...i sometimes hv trouble w/ this and i think tht if u say u hv nvr had trouble w/ this i would def think that u hv.
  • Yeah I know what you mean, we want to deal with things that we're not ready to deal with yet. We are often so arrogant that we ignore others people's advice. We should be good Copts and learn humility, which I personally view as one of the hardest yet most beautiful virtues that are taught at our Church.

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6698.msg89563#msg89563 date=1212718527]
    heyy coptic pharaoh.  I am very sorry.  It is just a habit.  but plzz continue on the God is Love

By the way is the typing better? LOL
    /
    mahraeel

thank you...now i can actually read thw whole thing the first tim around....  and i meant GODISLOVE260... hids pot sumurised lots...
  • o lol now i feel dumb.  Oops my bad, i misunderstood.  thxx u guysss there are great comments.  Please keep posting=)

/
    mahraeel
  • comments anyone?

/
    mahraeel
  • anybodyyy=// ???

/
    mahraeel
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6698.msg90177#msg90177 date=1213150961]
    anybodyyy=// ???

/
    mahraeel

hahhahahha ma7adesh me3abarak! :P hahahahaha
    I would love to reply! :P bas i gotta study tonight! :S
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6698.msg89531#msg89531 date=1212702556]
    aghabi everyone,
    sometimes in my sunday school class  we would have an open discuusion.  and a lot of it would be about change n stuff.  wat i meen is did u ever realize how teenagers begin to change but they cant help it! it is part of puberty n life changings isnt it? this is an issue that will never avtually end.  wat r ur feelinga about this?

i would like to ask u soemthin.  y is it that wen u do soemthing ppl thing ur different.  for example: first off i meen teens ages 13--17 on average.  for example if u neva put nail polish b4 n u started, ppl autoomatically assume that u changed in a bad way.  y is that.  nd soemtimes its abouna too.

liek is it badd for a girl to worry about her apperance?  sometimes boys n girls go thru their "crush" part of their lives.  if u noe wat i meen? thats somethin that ive been told is a normal thing thru their lives.  rite? so y doo pll judge them so harshly.  ive always been confused about this.  keep in mind wen i say change i don meen ur liek teh worst kid in teh church.  i meen ur juss cjangiing a bit but still in a  way spiritual.  kids have always aksed that. 

/
    mahraeel

Shalom,

I just want to say that its OK to put on nail varnish.

I know that JoesephGabriel will disagree, because its not mentioned anywhere in the Bible that a woman can put on nail varnish, but I feel its OK.

I just hope that u develop into your own person, not into someone who your friends or TV, or society have in mind for you. That you do things because they make sense to you, not because someone, who probably doesn't even care about u, is influencing you to change or grow in a certain direction.

What do I mean by that?

If I plant a small flower seed, after a while, with plenty of water, I can say to myself: "Look, its changed. Its become a flower. From that small seed, its now a flower" But, i prefer to use the term "grown" because, I planted a small flower seed, and its grown into what it should. If it grows into an elephant, then yes - i'd say its changed.

I want u to grow to be the best u can, not into something that u were not made to be. So, if you grow in a good environment, like Church, hopefully, it should help u grow. But I believe there needs to be some spirituality in your life also. Not just going to Church for the sake of Church, but also learning and doing the tasbeha, attending the mass (from the beginning); these are very important, otherwise i don't feel you'd gain much.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6698.msg90215#msg90215 date=1213183743]
    I know that JoesephGabriel will disagree, because its not mentioned anywhere in the Bible that a woman can put on nail varnish, but I feel its OK.

Lol , and QT is gonna become Greek Orthodox - hes lost his Shoubra status, so you shouldn't listen to him  :P

• [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6698.msg90229#msg90229 date=1213193802]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6698.msg90215#msg90215 date=1213183743]

Lol , and QT is gonna become Greek Orthodox - hes lost his Shoubra status, so you shouldn't listen to him  :P

I am from Shoubra.. look Joe... I am NOT looking at becoming Greek Orthodox. I was talking generally. OK?? GENERALLY!!!
  • Dude, calm down, I was joking  ;D
  • mood swings....  and what is up with SHALOM    isn't that jewish??

• Shalom,

I just hope that u develop into your own person, not into someone who your friends or TV, or society have in mind for you. That you do things because they make sense to you, not because someone, who probably doesn't even care about u, is influencing you to change or grow in a certain direction.

What do I mean by that?

If I plant a small flower seed, after a while, with plenty of water, I can say to myself: "Look, its changed. Its become a flower. From that small seed, its now a flower" But, i prefer to use the term "grown" because, I planted a small flower seed, and its grown into what it should. If it grows into an elephant, then yes - i'd say its changed.

I want u to grow to be the best u can, not into something that u were not made to be. So, if you grow in a good environment, like Church, hopefully, it should help u grow. But I believe there needs to be some spirituality in your life also. Not just going to Church for the sake of Church, but also learning and doing the tasbeha, attending the mass (from the beginning); these are very important, otherwise i don't feel you'd gain much.

What do I mean by that?

thxx for the advice=)

Lol , and QT is gonna become Greek Orthodox - hes lost his Shoubra status, so you shouldn't listen to him 

lol but wait do you really disagree Joe.   ???

I am from Shoubra.. look Joe... I am NOT looking at becoming Greek Orthodox. I was talking generally. OK?? GENERALLY!!!

Woah there calm down=) lol Dont be offended. ;D

mood swings....   and what is up with SHALOM    isn't that jewish??

lol lol lol YES it is=)) ::)

/
    mahraeel
  • Bentbabayasooa, thank you for even responding lol.  Good lcuk with your studies.  I'll be waiting for your response=)

/
    mahraeel
  • I was just thinking about growing up and you know when you look back and realize that all the things you viewed as important, are acutually the least important things ever...
    Especially girls who care much about make-up (not that that's wrong in itself, but to exaggerate in it is..), boys, maybe looking up to idols (actor/actress, singers, etc), daydreaming and such. It's amazing when you get to the point when you're like: I don't care anymore about those things...
    It's amazing how when our eyes get opened and we see God's love and we start learning about Him, it's a completely new world, a different one, the opposite of the 'normal' teen world where tv and media dictate everything...

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6698.msg89531#msg89531 date=1212702556]
    aghabi everyone,

/
    mahraeel

I know what you mean honey! :)
    Teens have to change from where they were to something else! not just physicaly bas emotionaly as well! I mean let's get real you WILL not expect a teenage girl 13 yrs masalan to dress the way she used to in 5th grade! ofcourse she is gonna put some make-up on, her clothes are gonna be a lil tight maybe short, hair style change, ATTITUDE CHANGES BIG TIME!!! It is just the hormones kicking in! and people are going to notice and you know how egyptians are.... what is this girl thinking putting on make-up? look at what she is wearing??? if that person is not doing anything wrong, then they shouldn't worry about what other ppl are saying or realizing because basically IT IS NONE OF  THEIR BEE_WACKS!!
    parents may get worried on their teen kid(s) because they are parents! being a teen is one of the worest stages because you are unsure of your feelings, your body is changing (boys start shaving, and voice change.  Girls they start their period)! you get your heart broken like a billion times a day! It is just a rough time being a teen!!! Our parents been there, they know what it is like.  That is why they get worried about us!

Teens in my church alawys ask, why do ppl judge us like we are bad kids???!! and the answer is because we are egyptions! :) that is why! and they act like being a teen is soooooooooooo dangerous and bad and it is going to make the kids bad!!!

Bas what realy makes teens upset and angry all the time during the teen stage is because (I think from my experience) is that parents are sooooo freaken strict on you during that time! Ex. no you can't wear that.  Go change.  Go do your h.w.  Go clean your room.  Change your hairstyle.  you are not leaving the house looking like that.  No you are not going out tonight.  We told you don't be friends with that person.  no we are not buying you another outfit. etc...... You have change son/daughter what happened to you??? you were such a good girl/boy.  Dah ehna neraga3ak masr wala see you keda! blah blah blah blah blah and sooo on! I think this is why teen stage is sooo bad because the way parents are/were treating us like we were babies!!!

When i was a teen, my parents sent me to abona to "YETAMENO 3ALAYA" :P hahahahaha i alawys thought that was hilarious! :P hahahaha
    they didn't like the way i dressed, i wasn't allowed to put on make-up (bas i did on the bus and clean it off on my way back :P ), they'd make me change billion times before i leave the house! THEY DROVE ME NUTS!!!!  >:(

Being a teen is a hard thing, bas i promise you will get through it! and you will laugh your eyes out when you look back at your teen memories at the way you dressed and talked! :P hahahaha

bentBABAyassoa`
  • lol bentbabayasooa, thats was a very good response coming from an expereinced girl herself.  Wow they sent to abouna for real? Just woindering, was this in America or Egypt..etc?

/
    mahraeel
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6698.msg90724#msg90724 date=1213383296]
    lol bentbabayasooa, thats was a very good response coming from an expereinced girl herself.  Wow they sent to abouna for real? Just woindering, was this in America or Egypt..etc?

/
    mahraeel

:P
    hahaahaha I lived bad moments during my teen stage! Girls should start their monthly cycle during that age! (If you are a boy DO NOT READ THIS :P ) bas my first time i didn't know what was happening to me  :-\ I was like what is happening to my body??!!! why does my stomach hurt soooo bad??! :( There was this other question i asked myself bas i am not gonna write it publicly keda 3eny 3enak :P hhahhahaa

and yes begad they send me to abona to yetaman 3alaya!!! it was here in U.S.
    Abona is my friend and was like "you are a good kid :) " he said i am his buddy :)

bentBABAyasooa`