The Mystery of Godliness by Archdeacon Habib Guirguis

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
i was thinking about a book called [glow=red,2,300]mystery of Godliness [/glow] by archdeacon habib Guirguis and each day i will post on this topic a chapter or 2 and i hope TOGETHER we can grow in God more.
God bless and pray 4me
COptic deacon

[glow=red,2,300]1 Introduction[/glow]
by Habib Guirguis

The Mystery of Godliness is a valuable book that contains a precious collection of deep spiritual experiences, based on the precise overlooking of Mr. Habib Guirguis.

Indeed, this book elevates the reader to the height of spirituality allowing him/her to wander in the glory of heaven hence; the title fully expresses the content of the book. Every Christian should be satisfied to acquire this book, for in it they will find the path to virtue and walk through the way that leads to godliness.

"El-Mahaba" bookstore has a deep commitment of offering precious books, and continues to publish interesting volumes for our beloved people, to aid in the growth of their spiritual lives and generate steadfastness in the Orthodox Dogma. For this reason, we are reprinting this book that has been remarked by many, so that it may be available to anyone who wishes to add it to his personal library.

We would like to present our deepest thanks to the late beloved Mr. Habib Guirguis for his encouragement and permission to reprint all his valuable books. May the Lord repose his soul in the Paradise of Joy, and reward him for the outstanding services that he offered to the benefit of the Church and her people.

By the grace and blessings of our Lord we will work hard to fervently present all the spiritual books that are good and beneficial for all.

Glory be to God. Amen.

[glow=red,2,300]01 Jesus is the Door, the Way, and the Life[/glow]
by Habib Guirguis

The Lord said: "Anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit... I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture" (John 10:1, 9).

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6).

"I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

These are the words of the Lord, and in itself it contains the whole truth: no one can enter into the life of grace except through the door, and no one will be able to walk in the path that leads to virtue unless he follows the path. You will stray if you do not allow Jesus ahead of you. Let Him be the door through which you enter, the way through which you are lead, the truth that you long for, and the life that you are called to live.  Do not follow the desires of your heart and lose sight of Him.

When the poisonous serpents were sent to bite the people in the wilderness, the Lord said to Moses: "Make a poisonous serpent, and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten shall look at it and live" (Numbers 21:8). The serpent on the pole was a symbol of Jesus Christ our Redeemer, who was hung on the cross, "And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life" (John 3:14,15). You are in the wilderness of this world, which is filled with many poisonous serpents, and if you look to Jesus, you will be saved from the venom of the serpent.

As long as your eyes are lifted to behold Jesus, no harm will come to you, and the old serpent - that is, Satan - will not be able to overcome you.  Keep all your focus on Jesus, admire Him, behold Him reasonably with your mind, and let the marvelous beauty of Jesus be the contemplation of your heart, so that you may be illuminated by the eternal truth, and your heart may be enlightened by the divine energy. Only then will you become vividly beautiful, even more than the sun. The door of grace will be opened before you, and the path of life ahead of you will be made smooth.

As you have accepted the Lord Jesus, continue to walk in Him - walk in His light and depend on His justice. Let your faith in Him be persistent, and allow Him be your rest, the inheritance of your salvation, and the glory in your life. Say with St. Paul: "To me, living is Christ" (Philippians 1:21).

"For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:19, 20).

Comments

• thanks Copticdeacon for ur effort and these words , May God bless them for our growth as u mention , Go on and God supports u , mention me in ur prayers .
  • NO i need ur prayers please
    Copticdeacon

[glow=red,2,300]02 Jesus Christ is All in All[/glow]
    by Habib Guirgus

I would like you to go everywhere and search in all places, but you will find nothing that will comfort you and fill your heart with hope, joy, peace and calmness, except Jesus Christ alone.

Nothing is sweeter than Jesus, no speech is pleasant in comparison to His, and no words are more tender than His own. His presence is delightful, and being surrounded by Him is pleasurable, and His charm is enchanting.  He is full of peace and His comfort is soothing. How sweet it is when He visits the heart, the spirit: in there He calls His beloved. Those who tasted His sweetness once will never enjoy any other sweetness but Him, for He captures the intellect by His pleasant sweetness.

The heart desires Him for His tender voice - Jesus is the source of eternal life.
    Jesus is the giver of blessings and true tastiness.
    Jesus overfills the heart with joy and meekness.
    Jesus is 'Emmanuel', God with us.
    Jesus is the heavenly nourishment and spiritual food.
    Jesus is the tree of life: whoever eats of it shall not die, but live forever.
    Jesus is the sweet drink: whoever drinks from it will never thirst.

His Name is a weapon in time of war. 
    He is a strong shield that prevents dangers and hardships.
    He is the ray of light that illuminates the darkness.
    He is the ointment of comfort in the disasters of life and its bitter pain.
    He is the staff of comfort in your old age.
    He is a fortress protecting you in your young age.
    He is an illuminated ship of grace upon which the children ride.
    He is the physician and medicine for all maladies.
    He is the helper of the helpless and comforter of those in sorrow.

Everything is vain, unless Jesus is its beginning and its end.
    Vain is any worship unless it is ascribed for Jesus and in Him truly.
    Vain are all sermons unless their goal is Jesus.
    Vain are reading, studying and talking unless Jesus is the center of it all.
    Vain are sweetness, calmness and comfort, unless Jesus alone is sought.
    Vain is everything unless Jesus is the core.
    Vain is every act unless the Name of Jesus is repeated without ceasing.

If Jesus did not enter the heart, it becomes hard and stiff.
    The heart that does not melt in Jesus' love becomes hardened.
    The emotions that do not have affection and desire for Jesus are dead.
    There is no life except that which is for Jesus and in Jesus alone.
    How beautiful and sweet is your name, O Lord Jesus.
    It is a light that is lit by love and nourishment that charms the heart.
    It is an honored and great Name, which overflows with charm and comfort.
    He overflows with glory, and fills all with comfort and perfection.
    My heart is not glad in anything unless your beloved Name is in it.
    My heart is not healthy unless your Name is engraved all over it.
    Every food is bitter in mouth, unless your salt seasons it and your oil is poured on it.

Your Name encourages and gives comfort to those who are in distress. It enlightens the darkness, even at the times of danger and death. It saves all those who call and cry out to you. Behold, my heart calls everyone to enjoy His love and desire Him. Come and enjoy His presence and His comfort, for you will not enjoy anything but Him, and you will not find any flavor in life except in Him, for everything is vain without Him. O, my beloved, leave everything behind and hold on to Jesus alone, for He is our help in all circumstances, and through Him we receive everything.

If you have Him, you have everything; if you are sick and want to be whole, He is the physician and the curing medicine itself.
    If you complain about the bitterness of life, He will transform everything to you into endless happiness and becomes unutterable sweetness.

If you are burdened with sin, He is your righteousness, who will cover you and stand before the Father so He does not see any of your faults and imperfections, for in His Blood all blemish is hidden, and His passion covers all your defects.

If you are weak, you require His help, for He is without boundaries and the utmost strength itself.

If you are afraid of death, He is life.
    If you desire heaven and the true homeland, He is the way, the truth, and the life.
    If you are in need, He is your riches.
    If you plea for food, He is your true nourishment, which lasts forever.
    If you are afraid of darkness, He is the true light, which illuminates in the dark.
    If the waves are threatening you, He is there to pull you out, and His right hand protects you, as Jesus stretched out His hand and caught Peter from drowning (cf. Matthew 14:31).

His eyes watch over you wherever you go.
    His hands guide you, and His peace leads you.

All that you desire, wish for, crave, search for and need, you will find hidden in Him. For it is in Him that all treasures of grace, wisdom and knowledge are hidden (cf. Colossians 2:3), and out of Him springs everything good and eternal happiness.

[glow=red,2,300]03 The Charm of Christ's Love[/glow]
    by Habib Guirgus

Blessed is he who realizes the love of Christ, and happy is he who tastes His sweetness.

"O taste and see that the Lord is good; happy are those who take refuge in him" (Psalm 34:8).

The love of the world is all delusion and stratagem, but the love of Jesus is steadfast, true, honest, calm, firm, and the same forever.
    The world and all that is in it shall pass away, but Jesus is eternal, immortal, and does not change.  He alone deserves all our love, above all creation and every creature.
    Love Jesus more than anything: more than the creation, more than any charm, beyond all hopes, above all the emotions. Love Him as He loves you.  Be persistent in your love for Him, without ceasing.

Blessed is the one who reaches the depths of this love, and woe to the one who prefers something, no matter what it may be, above Jesus' love.

If the love of God is poured in one's heart, he becomes happy and acquires everything.
    If one loves Jesus, he becomes one with Him. The Heaven becomes his own heaven, the Kingdom becomes his own kingdom, and he reigns with Him forever.

O, holy and attractive love of Jesus: may your fire aflame in my heart, your arrows strike me and permeate my inner parts; for my death in you is better than my life without you.
    All happiness is preoccupied totally in the sea of His love: so melt and dissolve, O my soul, and swim, O my heart, in the waters of this pure and clear love.

O, what a holy fire - a fire of love, which is unexplainable.

O, what a charm that cannot be uttered.
    God's love is a holy fire: burning, but refreshing, solvent and palatable to the spirit. It burns and dissolves evil, but purifies, cleanses and elevates the heart to the greatest heights.

O, pure love, come and dwell in me, rest in my heart, and let my heart find rest in you.  Allow me to enter your pasture; enlighten me, shine upon me, raise me to the greatest heights, quench my thirst, and fulfill my desires with coolness, for I long for you.
    Control me by your hands, and guide me towards you, for I desire to reach you.

I was hit with one of your spears, and I will not be cured; nor will my heart calm down, or put off the flaming fire within me, till all your spears permeate within me. 

O, queen of all virtues and ruler of hearts: you hold justice and happiness in your right, reign over my mind, heart, emotions and feelings. 
    Seize all that is within me, and change all my feelings towards you.

I give you all of me to be in you, so that I feel you alone being above all and in all.

• [glow=red,2,300]04 Purifying the Heart and Preparing for Jesus' Dwelling[/glow]by Habib Guirgus

Wool, in its early stage, can be dyed with any color you want; in the same way, virtue can be acquired when the person starts during his youth.

It is like dawn which reveals a gorgeous morning.

Your soul is like a zest garden. Clean it to accept the grace, and become available for Jesus' dwelling.

Shut your heart towards any sneaky serpent, lest it showers your heart with its poison.

Watch and beware of "the little foxes", to grow and flourish and be filled with good fruits and a sweet aroma. Then, Christ will come and dwell in your heart with His holy glory.

If an honored guest visits you, you will probably prepare your place and furnish your house, clean your belongings, put your bedroom in order, bring out the precious chinaware, and scent the house with good fragrance.
    Is it appropriate that the king visits you and finds the house filthy, dirty, with bugs and spiders all over, and awful smell fills the place? 
    If your soul is this house, and the distinguished, honored guest is the King, Emmanuel (God with us), would it be possible to invite Him and all His angels to dwell in you, while your heart is attached with profanity of this world, and the smell of sin reeks from it, and the evil spirits and thoughts proceed from it?

Purify your heart first (cf. 2 Timothy 2:22), clean it, watch and beware. Safeguard it from the lusts and impurities that are in the world.
    Purge it with fragrant virtues, and the aroma of grace. Then, when the "couch is green" (Song 1:16), you can call the Heavenly Groom to rest in it.
    Do not let the smell of the world enter the inner part of your heart. Blessed are you if you prepare yourself for Jesus, decorate yourself, and care for the dwelling of the heavenly and divine Groom, Jesus Christ. 
    Miserable and wretched is the person who conducts himself in evil and misdeeds; his heart will be filled with thistles and spoilage, foxes will foster it, the beasts will dwell in it, and wolves will tread and corrupt it.

Be on guard and do not let the world deceive you, and its lusts trick you. Do not allow or accept anyone other than Jesus alone to dwell in your heart. As soon as you prepare a place for Him, He will come to you and show you His spiritual tranquility and inner comfort. He will grant you peace, which is above and beyond the mind, inner joy, which is unspoken of, and will be your charming companion.

So, prepare your heart to receive this Groom, for He said; "They who have My commandments and keep them are those who love Me; and those who love Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love them and reveal Myself to them... Those who love Me will keep My word, and My Father will love them, and We will come to them and make Our home with them" (John 14:21, 23).

Do not let your heart be attached to anything, so Christ alone can reign over it. Let Him be the "all-in-all" (I Corinthians 15:28) to you. Let Him be the center of your soul's searches; and when Jesus reigns over your heart and all your inward parts, then you will acquire everything and receive true happiness. You will never be in need of anything, for you have the Pantocrator - that is, the one who controls everything.

All that is in the world shall pass away and vanish, but Christ never changes, nor ages, nor ends.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8).

[glow=red,2,300]
    05 Jesus Fills the Soul
    [/glow]
    by Habib Guirgus

Open the bedchamber of your heart to let Jesus in and you will find perfect rest, for everything is vain without Him. You will not find anyone to carry your burden to ease it off, but Him. In Him you will find happiness, and with Him you will find eternal life and peace of mind.

If you are poor, He will fill you with His wealth.
    If you are sick, He will give you the remedy for your incurable diseases.
    If you are mourning and sad, He will pour on you His joy and happiness, and will wipe away every tear from your eyes (cf. Revelation 7:17).
    If you are hungry, He will feed you and fill you with His benevolence.
    If you are naked, He will clothe you with righteousness that does not rot or blemish.
    If you are vexed or annoyed, He will gladden your anguish and agony, and will transform all bitterness to pleasure, all misery and unhappiness to joy, all toil to comfort, and all sorrow to joy.
    If you have lost a loved one, He is not only the best companion, but also the most compassionate friend; He never changes, and never perishes, but is forever.
    If you scared of dying, He will walk with you on that day and make it the dawn for eternal life.
    Enjoy Him, do not be immersed in the turmoil, and do not let Hades widen its door on you.  The sun will not burn you, nor will the moon harm you.
    If the waves are against you, and the winds are blowing hard, do not give in to the power of darkness, but walk in the light, hold on to it and do not let go.

Love Him and He will protect you and preserve you from all evil and harm.
    Rapidly open your heart to Jesus and do not delay, for He is coming to you. Be prepared to meet Him, do not prevent your ears from hearing His voice, and do not harden your heart, lest you regret when it is too late to repent.

O Lord, I am ready by your grace. Come, for I have no rest except in you.
    My heart aches within me, crying and asking for your presence.
    The whole of me is awaiting your approach, O my Master.

The Lord said that He is "near to all who call upon Him" (Psalm 145:18).

I said: I will put myself at Your feet, for I am Your servant, O Good Jesus, supplicating to have mercy upon me, comfort me, and to cause me to rejoice. I open my heart for you to enter and fill it with your unexplainable charm.