How should I give?

edited June 2008 in Personal Issues
Hi,

I live in one of the richest cities in the world. I get approached by a lot by beggars, and I would like to know if I should give them money or not when they ask me?

Now, the problem is this:

If they are drunk and reap of alcohol - should u give them money?

I was driving once in Paris, and i met this man that said he needed help. He said that he was robbed and that he had no money to go home. So, i said to him "OK.. look, let's just try and find those that robbed u?". So, we drove around a bit, and at the same time I was looking for some police officers.

I then went through a red light to chase those that had beaten this guy up. When I did this, a police car caught me. I got out of the car, and I said to them "Thanks! I was looking for you!! This man was beaten up, and robbed.. apparently those that robbed him went down this road!!"

THey looked at the man in car and started laughing, and said "yes.. he does that often.. he pretends he's been robbed just to get a free lift home".

Now.. I started to laugh. I mean, yes - i was a bit upset at this man for lying, but I found him really funny... that he led me on a chase to chase people that didn't exist JUST to get a lift home. But then I threw him out of the car, and I got serious with him. And HE STILL WANTED ME TO TAKE HIM HOME. (What a cheek!!). And then he said to me :"But I lost my money in drinking.. and i really don't have any money left". I said to him "Walk home!".

lol

I love paris.

But anyway, my point is this:

Should we give to people we don't know. EVERY CASE seems to be like this. EVERY SINGLE case!! THere are NO such things as beggars in Paris. Just lazy people. You have no right to beg in the streets. Our taxes are so high here to assist homeless and poorer people. Did u know that in France, homeless people get free accommodation? Free!!!
They get so much money just for saying they are homeless...

One guy asked me for just 50 cents whilst i was walking in Paris. He wasn't even drunk. He seemed normal, so I gave him the money. And then I asked him :"Oh.. so what's the money for ?"

He said "Its to check my email in an internet cafe"

I said "You mean to look for a job?"

He said "No no.. to chat with friends". So I took my 50 cents back (HAHAHA). But.. we BOTH started laughing. I mean, we both found it funny. I said to him :"No! Look.. I thought u were poor.. and u needed help". He said "OK.. i see, but at least I didnt lie to u"??  I think i still gave him the 50 cents after.. not sure.. but he was such a funny guy. lol

I love Paris!

Anyway - what should I do? I meet drunk people every day that ask me for money. Its all based on the same story above. They are just lazy, and I feel that I'm not helping them by giving them money at all. Yet the Lord said "whoever asks u for anything, give to them!". I want to give.. OK! BUT I FEEL REALLY STUPID WHEN I DO SO!! ESPECIALLY KNOWING NOW HOW BEGGARS LIVE.

Look, I participate in a lot of catholic activities, and one of them is working with the homeless. I can tell u, after 7 years in this community, and visiting homeless people in the streets and train stations etc, what these people DO NOT NEED is money. They need friendship. Good friendship. That's all.

By giving them money, u in fact give them a means to destroy themselves more. Is that edifying?? No!!!  Its not.

Im writing this because this abouna said that we should give no matter what.. but that's wrong. WHat if my son asks me for something that I know is bad for him??? Should i give to my son what he wants??? No!! Never!!! I, as a father, cannot participate at least in something that will not edify him.

So, my questions are this:

* Is it wrong if I do not give to beggars in Paris??
* Is it right then NOT to give them money??
* If I just give my 10th's to the Church, i don't have to worry about these crazy people in paris, because I know the Church will know someone who really needs the money. This is what I prefer to do. What do u think???
* How then do we apply Our Lord's words that says "Whoever asks from you anything, give to them"

Comments

• I just wanted to add one HUGE thing BEFORE anyone responds:

If anyone was begging in Africa, no matter how rich they looked, or poor they looked, I would give them without even questioning what it was for.

But in France... its so rich. These people are spoilt rotten. Those that really really need any sort of help would be the last ones to ask.
  • thnaks QT_PA_2T  for triggering this point

you may put 1oth's in the church and also if u can help people who really need it will be nice . Also if we think the right matter about donation the we get and don't give , i think we will give without any attention and the faith by which we donate will give us the trust also that the money ( or whatever we donate ) will be used by the right way ( and that's the work of God ) , the matter here is that we take the benefit of donation and the rest of matter it will be the God's work .

St.  Ebraam was givving all people whatever they ask and He trust that God will use this money ( donation ) in the good matters  . and  there r many stories that show this faith , we will celebrate Hid commemoration on 10 / 6 and many stories about Him will be showed here , May His prayers be with all of us . Don't forget to mention me in ur prayers .
  • OK, but living in Europe, especially in a rich country, should we give to homeless people??

Remember now that they can use it for drugs, alcohol, smoking - etc.. anything illegal.

Also, should we help people? Someone asked me for help, and I was happy to help him until I realised that he was lying. If i did help him it would have encouraged him to pull the same scam and lie to other people too. (see story below).

The purpose of this post is to ask ourselves how can we give to those that ask us (as per Our Lord's words) and yet not be fooled by their wickedness.

A priest INSISTED that we should not even ask what the money is for if someone asks us for it. But, what if its to buy a gun to kill someone? huh? what then? What if its to buy drugs?? or alcohol, or cigarettes??? what then??

If we cannot give them money because its wrong, then I believe we should give them something else that would help them. Really. And in some cases, a kick where the sun doesn't shine seems to help them tremendously.

What do u think?