The Bible in Greek

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Since there have been quite a few threads asking for this and that verse in the original Greek, I thought I'd post this here so people are aware of, and have access to a reliable version of the Christian Bible in its original language.

This is the version published by Αποστολική Διακονία της Εκκλησίας της Ελλάδος, which is the version used by all Greek speaking Orthodox churches around the world.

Παλαιά Διαθήκη - Old Testament

Καινή Διαθήκη - New Testament

Hope this will be of help to people.

Comments

• Also, since the Greek letters differ slightly from the Coptic ones at times, here's the two side-by-side for those of you who read Coptic but not Greek.

Αα [coptic]A[/coptic], Ββ [coptic]B[/coptic], Γγ [coptic]G[/coptic], Δδ [coptic]D[/coptic], Εε [coptic]E[/coptic], Ζζ [coptic]Z[/coptic], Ηη [coptic]Y[/coptic], Θθ [coptic];[/coptic], Ιι [coptic]I[/coptic], Κκ [coptic]K[/coptic], Λλ [coptic]L[/coptic], Μμ [coptic]M[/coptic], Νν [coptic]N[/coptic], Ξξ [coptic]X[/coptic], Οο [coptic]O[/coptic], Ππ [coptic]P[/coptic], Ρρ [coptic]R[/coptic], Σσς [coptic]C[/coptic], Ττ [coptic]T[/coptic], Υυ [coptic]U[/coptic], Φφ [coptic]v[/coptic], Χχ [coptic],[/coptic], Ψψ [coptic]'[/coptic], Ωω [coptic]W[/coptic]

[quote author=minagir link=topic=6657.msg88952#msg88952 date=1212120124]
    wow...great to have the letters.....are the rules of the letters somehow close to the coptic?

β = v
    γ = gh (bit like a soft غ) or soft, almost like a y. E.g. Λογος = Loghos, but Αγιος = Ayios.
    δ = dh, like the th in 'the' or 'that'.
    η = i/ee sound (like in 'pig' or 'see')
    θ = th, like the th in 'think' or 'thanks'.
    χ = kh (like خ). E.g. Χριστός=Khristos. In a few cases, it makes a k sound. E.g. ουχ=ouk The third sound it makes has no equivilant in English or Arabic. It's a kind of h/ح/ch sound, like the 'ich' in German. E.g. χερε = chere/ĥere. It's never pronounced as sh.
    αι = e sound (like in 'bed')
    οι = i/ee sound (like in 'pig' or 'see')
    ει = i/ee sound (like in 'pig' or 'see')
    αυ = af/av, depending on the word. E.g. αυτο = afto, but αύριο = avrio
    ευ = ef/ev, depending on the word. E.g. ευδομας = evdhomas, but ευχαριστώ = efkharisto
    ου = oo
    γγ = ng. E.g. άγγελος = angelos

The vowels with an ' on top are emphasised. Consonants tend to be muted, so a τ will sound more like a soft ط than a regular t, and a κ will sound almost like a g. Other than that it's very straight forward, and everything's pronounced as it's written.
  • Thanks Orthodox11, glad to have you back by the way.
  • wow...great to have the letters.....are the rules of the letters somehow close to the coptic?
  • Thanks for the letters, I was having problems with the letters "new" and "sigma" - feels like I'm doing maths again.

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=6657.msg88945#msg88945 date=1212107310]
    Since there have been quite a few threads asking for this and that verse in the original Greek, I thought I'd post this here so people are aware of, and have access to a reliable version of the Christian Bible in its original language.

This is the version published by Αποστολική Διακονία της Εκκλησίας της Ελλάδος, which is the version used by all Greek speaking Orthodox churches around the world.

Παλαιά Διαθήκη - Old Testament

Καινή Διαθήκη - New Testament

Hope this will be of help to people.

But there is no information about who edited the Greek text, who published, what manuscripts they are based upon, and when it was done.

For example, is the Greek New Testament Scrivener's edition? (1880s?) Or Erasmus-Beza-Stephanus (1500s)?

Where can I buy a hard copy?

And what about the Greek Old Testament?

Thanks for considering these questions. 
  • [quote author=Schoyen link=topic=6657.msg89009#msg89009 date=1212178695]
    But there is no information about who edited the Greek text, who published, what manuscripts they are based upon, and when it was done.

I'm sure there is somewhere, just not in English. I suggest you contact Apostoliki Diakonia and ask them.

Where can I buy a hard copy?

You can buy them from the website. You might also find one in an Orthodox bookstore.
  • Yassa Orthodox11,

Back from Mt Athos?? I have one question pertaining to the Geez Bible.My information is that it was directly translated from Greek. This also means that the Book of Jubelee and the Book of Enoch were Greek originally. Unlike the Greek bible which has 81 books ,the Geez bible has 82 books(without the book of Jubelee). Why isn't the book of Enoch not included in the Greek bible? I also understand,the Book of Jubelee is extremely important, at least in the Oriental churchs,but the complete book exists only in the Geez bible and to my knoweldge further translations have not been made.
  • Tena yistilign

[quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6657.msg89014#msg89014 date=1212184366]
    Back from Mt Athos??

I've never been there lol, but I hope to go some day, God willing.

I have one question pertaining to the Geez Bible.My information is that it was directly translated from Greek. This also means that the Book of Jubelee and the Book of Enoch were Greek originally. Unlike the Greek bible which has 81 books ,the Geez bible has 82 books(without the book of Jubelee). Why isn't the book of Enoch not included in the Greek bible? I also understand,the Book of Jubelee is extremely important, at least in the Oriental churchs,but the complete book exists only in the Geez bible and to my knoweldge further translations have not been made.

The Greek Bible only has 77 books (depending on how you number them), not 81.

The Ethiopian Church is the only church that has included books like Jubilees and Enoch in its Biblical canon. These books are seen as useful and holy, and were quoted by many Chruch Fathers, but they've never been seen as canonical by any church outside of the Ethiopian tradition, which is why you won't find them in the Greek Bible.
  • Dear all,
    Anyone can point me out to some downloadable Greek Bible, rather than one you can read online, as the one Orthodox11 directed us to?
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot
  • http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt 1&version=68

This is the momentous text by Westcott and Hort (1880s) which looks very much like our standard critical edition today, but not exactly.