Cases for Divorce

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Guys, I was having some discussion with protestants concerning Divorce. I said to them as an Orthodox Christian, the only clause for divorce is adultary. They are different. THey think also if one or the other is a non-believer then this also can be a reason for divorce.

Do we agree with this? or what can we answer to them?

Comments

• I believe our glorious church does allow divorce if the one of the individuals in the marriage denies Christ and goes to another religion. 

H.G. Bishop Mettaous book entitled SACRAMENTAL RITES IN THE COPTIC ORTHODOX CHURCH states:

"The purpose of Matrimony is continuance, without divorce, except in the case of adultery. This is because a strange person has entered and corrupted the holy unity of Matrimony, an profaned its holiness. However, if the person who sinned repented, and the partner forgave them, then the Church permits the continuation of the marriage.

The second situation in which divorce may occur, is due to the spiritual immorality or denial of faith and abandonment of Christianity by one of the partners."
  • But what if both are aetheist, and then one of the partner discovers Christ and becomes a Christian. Can they divorce then?

Also, what about abuse? Psychological or emotional abuse?? Or Physical abuse? What happens then?

I think its brilliant by the way that u get all the sayings of our CHurch leaders and post them. (WHERE ON EARTH DO U LOT FIND THEM!! Lol!!)
  • If they are both atheist, then there was no marriage, was there? :)
  • That's a great point, Severus. I totally overlooked that. 
  • [quote author=Ti Agia Malatini link=topic=6650.msg88788#msg88788 date=1212003667]
    That's a great point, Severus. I totally overlooked that. 

lol.
    ha ha!
    OK.. let's say they were just non practicing Christians that got married in a Church. Even if they were aetheists, they can get married and have a civil wedding. What if ONE of them became a Christian... ???
    Would the church allow for divorce in that case?
  • I would think that if the non-Christian person forbade the Christian spouse to stop going to church or worshipping, then yes, because that would be taking the Christian away from God.  It seems similar to what H.G. Bishop Mettaous said about someone denying Christ--it could be grounds for divorce. However, I have not found any specific commentaries/articles on the subject.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6650.msg88782#msg88782 date=1211990021]
    But what if both are aetheist, and then one of the partner discovers Christ and becomes a Christian. Can they divorce then?

Also, what about abuse? Psychological or emotional abuse?? Or Physical abuse? What happens then?

I think its brilliant by the way that u get all the sayings of our CHurch leaders and post them. (WHERE ON EARTH DO U LOT FIND THEM!! Lol!!)

if they both atheist than they don't go to Church, then there is no question... they can do whatever and nobody would care....  it would be like movies: i want a divorce and it is as simple as that
  • OK people,
    excuse my question, but let's say 2 muslims got married - ok?
    And one of them became a Christian. Should they divorce their spouse if their spouse has not accepted Christ?

• u use the worst examples.... the other partner would kill his/her wife/husband if they switch....  tha is what happens to muslims that convert, they get killed...
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6650.msg88797#msg88797 date=1212009063]
    u use the worst examples.... the other partner would kill his/her wife/husband if they switch....  tha is what happens to muslims that convert, they get killed...

OK! let's say they were both hindus..OK!!
    And one decides, after their HINDU marriage, to believe in Christ, and becomes baptised in the Orthodox Church. Could that lead to divorce??
  • finally....  and i would beleive so, unless the other membre is convinced too....
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6650.msg88804#msg88804 date=1212010461]
    finally....  and i would beleive so, unless the other membre is convinced too....

No , u are wrong.
  • ok... so what is the answer?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6650.msg88808#msg88808 date=1212011276]
    ok... so what is the answer?

If one became Christian after they got married, they cannot separate. The spouse sanctifies the other spouse in the marriage.
  • Wow, what kind of trickery was that? lol.

QT, if one person accepted Christ, do you think Our Lord would prevent him from marrying in the Orthodox Church? God provides a solution for everyone, as long as the fast and pray.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=6650.msg88812#msg88812 date=1212012794]
    Wow, what kind of trickery was that? lol.

QT, if one person accepted Christ, do you think Our Lord would prevent him from marrying in the Orthodox Church? God provides a solution for everyone, as long as the fast and pray.

I didnt say that he would be prevented. On the contrary. He would be welcomed. But he shouldnt divorce his wife if he married her when they were both of a different religion.
  • I'm having a hard time understanding you. I thought he changed after they got married? But you said
    QT said:

But he shouldnt divorce his wife if he married her when they were both of a different religion.

If he accepts Christ, then why should he stay in a pagan, invalid marriage?
  • Its ok.. look
    I'm never gonna talk to another protestant person again! Im fed up. They are all crazy.

I just wanna say that if ever u think u can be friends with them (spiritually)... be careful.. they have a VERY strange doctrines.

God bless my Orthodox Church.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6650.msg88819#msg88819 date=1212014814]
    Its ok.. look
    I'm never gonna talk to another protestant person again! Im fed up. They are all crazy.

I just wanna say that if ever u think u can be friends with them (spiritually)... be careful.. they have a VERY strange doctrines.

God bless my Orthodox Church.

Amen.
  • This is somewhat off topic....  weren't the people that lived like 15 centuries ago, didn't they use to marry like a Christian and a pagant??????
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6650.msg88780#msg88780 date=1211988660]
    Guys, I was having some discussion with protestants concerning Divorce. I said to them as an Orthodox Christian, the only clause for divorce is adultary. They are different. THey think also if one or the other is a non-believer then this also can be a reason for divorce.

Do we agree with this? or what can we answer to them?

1st Corinthians 7:10-16 answers this question.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6650.msg88810#msg88810 date=1212011446]
    [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6650.msg88808#msg88808 date=1212011276]
    ok... so what is the answer?

If one became Christian after they got married, they cannot separate. The spouse sanctifies the other spouse in the marriage.

You're leaving something out QT_. 1st Corinth. 7:15 - But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances;

Peace[coptic][/coptic]
  • great reference.. we should have went to the Bible first choice instead of all of us saying what WE think....  we have to use Bibles for this kind of stuff.... thanks Elsi70x7
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6650.msg88857#msg88857 date=1212031384]
    great reference.. we should have went to the Bible first choice instead of all of us saying what WE think....  we have to use Bibles for this kind of stuff.... thanks Elsi70x7

Dear coptic pharoah,

"But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place in His sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.....Ezra 9:8.
    I would like to thank all involved for this great website and its insightful posts! It is like an oasis in the desert!

God bless you all,
    elsi
  • St Paul said:

If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband
    1 Cor 8:12-14

1 Cor 8:15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart
  • okay heyy everyone
    umm i don think this is rite im not sure nd i think its reeli dumb if it is but i heard that u can divorce if ur wife does not bear any children? is this right because i never heard of that b4 so idk

any feedback thxxx GBU

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m siste rin CHrist
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6650.msg89498#msg89498 date=1212674704]
    okay heyy everyone
    umm i don think this is rite im not sure nd i think its reeli dumb if it is but i heard that u can divorce if ur wife does not bear any children? is this right because i never heard of that b4 so idk

I don't think this is the case....      if it was like that, then God wouldn't have had the chance to show off His miracles in making barren women  be able to get children.... that is what happened with St. Mina, His mom wept at the picture of St. Mary asking Her for a son...   
    also Samuel the prophet, His mom went and wept infront of the Alter of God, there are lote of other examples....
  • okay heyy everyone

In biblical times,  barren marriage was always blamed on the woman, whose womb was said to have been closed by God. Such attitude toward infertility persisted in traditions and cultures where the women are/were oppressed . The medical world is also partly to be blamed.Medical Research on the male reproductive system has showed that a myriad of troubles can plague the male's baby-making ability. Today about half of all infertile couples, the male factor is a contributing cause, if not perhaps the only one.Thus, Infertility is a medical problem that can affect both sexes.

And the Lord says  in Luke 23:29  'Blessed is the barren woman, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!'

Eg: Abraham never divorced Sarah,therefore,it is considered adultary to divorce on such grounds and re-marry
  • Hey Guys!

I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, so I don't know if this article has been mentioned, but the Egyptian Gov't is not Pursuing HH to allow remarriage after divorce.This is a very new article and I thought it was relevant so here is the link:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2008/900/eg7.htm