Name change after baptism

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,

May I ask something concerning baptism?

Let's assume someone is baptised at a late age. During their baptism, they chose a name of a saint. After their baptism, are they meant to call themselves by their old name, or new name?? Or both??

THe state still identifies them as by their old name. But the Church identies them by their new name. Should that person officially change their name to the new name??

Thanks,

Comments

• I do not think they have to change their name, although in my personal opinion they should since they have a new life.
  • THanks,
    But what is the official view of the Church? Should they use their old name? or not?
  • QT,
    They would be called their new name at Church, because that baptismal name is ONLY applied for Church. The old name is for at Church (in the basement or Sunday School), and for anything outside. Hope I helped!!!
  • i don't think they have to change their names???? is that wrong??? plz correct me
  • They SHOULD, it isn't necessary. Although if you are anything higher than laity, then it is MANDATORY to get their name changed UNLESS their name is a name of either a saint or a disciple.
  • Does anyone here know what the official view of the Coptic Orthodox Church on changing your name after baptism??? Do you keep the old, or use the new??