He died for us because......

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have a question that just recently came in my head after learning so much about our Lord's death and noone can realy fully answer my question so im hoping you can.
Our Lord died for us to forgive us our sins and save us. But i dont get how does dying for us on a cross mean that were saved and our sins are forgiven... can u help  me out please.

Comments

• God ha dto die to give us salvation!!!
  • [quote author=100%4JESUS link=topic=6513.msg86121#msg86121 date=1208898986]
    I have a question that just recently came in my head after learning so much about our Lord's death and noone can realy fully answer my question so im hoping you can.
    Our Lord died for us to forgive us our sins and save us. But i dont get how does dying for us on a cross mean that were saved and our sins are forgiven... can u help  me out please.

The salvation process was to open paradise which was closed from the ultimate sin. the sin of Adam and Eve. Paradise was closed through eating a fruit from a tree, a wood. the way the sin was to be erased was that someone sinless (as Adam and Eve were), who is of power, to die through the same way the sin was made (cross is in fact part of a tree, you can see the connection), and to resurrect again through his power to destroy the power of death. this "he" had to be Jesus, the Son of God.
  • I agree with minagir, i would also like to add, that he HAD to die for us and shed his blood in order to save us. Why? because that was what God required to erase the stain that adam and eve put on us. In the old testament all of the sacrafices were a symbol of our Lord Himself. and God forgave them their sins that they had committed but that sacrafice did not remove the stain from us as Jesus Christ our God did. God needed an acceptable sacrafice, to do this who was our Lord. I read from a play of sorts that after Christ died(this is really true), he went down to Hades and tied the devil up freeing all the righteous souls, and he went to heaven and showed himself to the Father showing him the human and divine nature making it suitable again for us to enter into paradise because he was and is and will be the perfect human being.
  • I agree with minagir, i would also like to add, that he HAD to die for us and shed his blood in order to save us. Why? because that was what God required to erase the stain that adam and eve put on us. In the old testament all of the sacrafices were a symbol of our Lord Himself. and God forgave them their sins that they had committed but that sacrafice did not remove the stain from us as Jesus Christ our God did. God needed an acceptable sacrafice, to do this who was our Lord. I read from a play of sorts that after Christ died(this is really true), he went down to Hades and tied the devil up freeing all the righteous souls, and he went to heaven and showed himself to the Father showing him the human and divine nature making it suitable again for us to enter into paradise because he was and is and will be the perfect human being.

but why would God do that... i mean isn't God ruler of everything and the Pantacrator, why didn't he change the requirements??
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6513.msg86130#msg86130 date=1208920072]

I agree with minagir, i would also like to add, that he HAD to die for us and shed his blood in order to save us. Why? because that was what God required to erase the stain that adam and eve put on us. In the old testament all of the sacrafices were a symbol of our Lord Himself. and God forgave them their sins that they had committed but that sacrafice did not remove the stain from us as Jesus Christ our God did. God needed an acceptable sacrafice, to do this who was our Lord. I read from a play of sorts that after Christ died(this is really true), he went down to Hades and tied the devil up freeing all the righteous souls, and he went to heaven and showed himself to the Father showing him the human and divine nature making it suitable again for us to enter into paradise because he was and is and will be the perfect human being.

but why would God do that... i mean isn't God ruler of everything and the Pantacrator, why didn't he change the requirements??

that's what everyone doesn't understand. as much as God is the Almighty, He is also the just God. in the same time merciful. so we know the rules for this "Savior" we need to be open paradise again, now you tell me, was there any other just way to bring salvation to us other than what Jesus Christ did?!! you answer.....
  • I think I know what your asking exactly. I too have thought about this many times... It is WHY couldnt God forgive us without "death" and a "sacrifice" to be offered. Here is the answer. God is love, God is Good, God is perfect. Sin is the enemy of God. Sin is not a PERSON or an entity like God, but sin is the act of evil, which God is against, because God is GOOD, and evil is his enemy. God was always against sin because sin is against his Holiness, in other words it is imperfection. And God ofcourse is Perfect. When God created the angels. It was known that no one who HAD sin could live with him. Sin wasnt always around, Because Only God existed from the begining. Sin is an act that is AGAINST the will of God, and seeing as how Only God existed from the begining, means there was no sin untill satan came around who was the first to go against God and that was the first sin. Anyone who had sin in them would be separated from God. Because sin IS separation from God, thats all it really is. God is perfect, sin is imperfection, so where is there room for imperfection in Perfection itself? Therefore no one who has sin could live with God, because no imperfection could come near God.

So now that you know sin is evil, and is therefore against God. What is the result of sin? The result of sin is death, which means that sin itself should die. At the end of the world when the chosen live with God, we will never see sin again, because God will have put an end to it.

So what about those who carry sin? Those who carry sin will die with sin. Sin is separation from God, therefore those who carry sin shall be separated from God for all eternity.

However, God loves us, and he created us so to LIVE not Die. When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil, they allowed sin to enter into the world. As soon as this happened Every man who was born was born with imperfection. God created us perfect, but we allowed imperfection to enter the world. But God did not leave us to die.

Now your question, Why did Jesus have to die? Why Did Jesus have to sacrifice himself?

The most important thing to know is that this sacrifice was NOT in fact a sacrifice to GOD, it was a sacrifice to DEATH. Sin was the cause of death, and so Christ is the cause of Life. Imperfection caused separation from God. So perfection (in Christ) caused reuniting of man with God.

When a man dies, he dies because of HIS own sins. When Jesus Died, he had no sins, he was perfect, how can perfection die? Jesus on the cross HAD to TAKE our sins to die, (in the bible it wasnt until after adam and eve sinned that God said PHYSICAL death would also happen. "for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return". It was sin that also caused not only spiritual death but PHYSICAL death. Therefore Jesus even though he was 100% Human, Sin could not come near him because he was at the same time 100% God. So how could God in the flesh Physically die? He took into account all of mankinds sins, when he died, he carried with him the sins of every man and DIED on the cross, so that the men whos sins he was carrying could die WITH HIM WITHOUT HAVING TO ACTUALLY DIE THEMSELVES. When Christ ROSE from the dead, he defeated death, and therefore anyman who dies with christ shall RISE with him as well.
  • I have read all your posts- well skimmed over it. All your questions have been answered about 17 centuries ago, in the document "On the Incarnation (of the Logos/Word)" by S. Athanasius.

Firstly, God just is. God is unlimited. God is good. God is beyond our reasoning, though He created our reasoning, and thus we can fathom is a primitive way His Way. Yet His Way remains greater than our way, just as the skies are higher than the earth.

When approaching why He had to die for us, what does that teach you about:
    - How much God loves us, that He bore pain
    - How personal God is, that He came in person, walked as a person, did things as a person, and showed how a person can become put on the righteousness of God
    - How Just God is, that He does not believe sin and evil as something trivial, but something that condemns a man to death
    - To keep promises- even those You do not like
    - How the Creator takes still the responsibility of the state of the rebellious creation (think about the things you have started- have you remained true to your responsibilities?)
    - That we were created for the Will of God- thus we should at all costs live for His Name- yes, even to the death of the Cross!

There is so much lessons that come from this dark chapter of Human History- the time when the creation rebelled against the Creator, who descended down to their level- that they killed Him.

You asked why did He make such a requirement? God is faithful to His promises- but He does not just enforce it- He gives His power (grace) to those who beg of it.

You asked why did He have to die- to resurrect again- and begin a new creation.

Why the cross? To show that even at the lowest end of human torture, the degrading and sinister devices of men had concocted from the Fall, with their evil and violent minds- even that cannot be defeated by God.

In paradise- we were in unity of God, living in His providence and were satisfied. But giving way to the desires of the flesh more than desires of our spirit, we descended from eternal life, making sure that our evilness would not last forever (thus why God promised death- to save ultimately the creation).

But Christ came again to clothe our nakedness and shame.

When we sinned, we realised our nakedness and shame. We clothed ourselves with the leaves of the tree. But God clothed them with the sacrifice of an animal- and used its skin.

Now God clothes us by the Blood of Christ to cover our shame. He reveals the Mind of Christ by walking amongst us, showing us the desires of the Father. He manifests the heart of God, all the way to Golgatha.

The Law revealed that we were naked, and leaves were not enough to cover our shame. God needed to sacrifice His *Eternal* Son, to cover our guilt to live perpetually again in His providence.
  • hello,
    [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6513.msg86138#msg86138 date=1208923632]

So what about those who carry sin? Those who carry sin will die with sin. Sin is separation from God, therefore those who carry sin shall be separated from God for all eternity.
    "..."
    Therefore Jesus even though he was 100% Human, Sin could not come near him because he was at the same time 100% God. So how could God in the flesh Physically die?

i agree with the statement that sin is seperation from God..but that arises the question of was God UNABLE to sin..b/c he cant be separated from Himself??..He is God..if so where is the weakness of humanity and the strive to not sin in His life if He was incapable of sinning?

pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • What a great question perfect for the season :)
    There are many reasons and many stories which can explain it a bit more
    Here's one i just thought of sharing
    There was once a king a very powerful king who had a beautiful daughter, he gave her everything, royalty, a palace with a garden and even personal servants. Everything good she ever dreamed of came true.
    This girl despite all of what her father had given her chose to betray her father and kingdom by giving away military secrets to a prince in another kingdom so they can come an overtake the kingdom and throw away her father out of power.

One day she got caught out and the penalty for her crime was death....the penalty for any one who betrayed the king and kingdom was death

This left the king in a distressed state as he still really loved his daughter despite her wrong doings, but at the  same time the law was the law and he couldn't change it for his daughter.....days went by and the sentence for his daughters death was passed on...

The daughter was taken to a large field where she was hung to a piece of wood for the lashing, there was a large multitude of a crowd screaming kill her kill her .....the soldier wouldn't cast the first lash upon her until the King came....in the meantime the king was in the Palace sad and depressed about whats going to happen to his daughter so he kept on thinking to himself what can I do...he immediatly left all and took the fastest horse he can to the isolated field where they were going to kill his daughter.
    As the king arrived the crowd cleared the way for the him and the soldiers awaited his order.......but the king instead ordered the soldiers to set her free...the crowd went in uproar how is this possible????........silently the king took of his crown and robe held the chains and asked a soldier to tie him upon the wood and to give him the lashes instead of his daughter........the soldier happy at the order tied the king wood nd began striking him....the crowd kept on yelling kill him kill him.......the daughtered in the meantime broke down only just then ...only just then ....only just then.....did she realise the great Love her father had for her .....

We deserved the death penalty but He was pierced for our transgressions,
           He was crushed for our iniquities;
           the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
           and by his wounds we are Healed.

• Sorry the answer for your question was

He died for us because....He Loves us
    nd there aint no greater Love than laying down ones life for ones friends....

cya please pray for me
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=6513.msg86140#msg86140 date=1208933424]
    hello,
    [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6513.msg86138#msg86138 date=1208923632]

"..."
    Therefore Jesus even though he was 100% Human, Sin could not come near him because he was at the same time 100% God. So how could God in the flesh Physically die?

i agree with the statement that sin is seperation from God..but that arises the question of was God UNABLE to sin..b/c he cant be separated from Himself??..He is God..if so where is the weakness of humanity and the strive to not sin in His life if He was incapable of sinning?

-sister in Christ

That is why Jesus Himself was a mystery, how an infinite God dwelt in a finite Body is itself a mystery. Every human being should hate sin because we were created in Gods image and God hates sin, so should we. Jesus however (the human) when he was tempted by the devil it was IN HIM to say no to sin because HE, GOD, hates sin, and has always hated sin. Remember also, that just because he was God does not mean that it was easier for him to overcome temptation. Because it was not GOD who was being tempted but His human side.. NO one can tempt God.

When the devil tempted Jesus, he tempted the humanity of Christ, he didnt tempt the Divinity of Christ, because he CANT... The devil was trying to get JESUS (the human) to tempt God.. as the devil said "cast thyself down, to see if God will save you". Because anyone who tempts God, THAT in itself is a sin.

So in answer to your question "was God UNABLE to sin..b/c he cant be separated from Himself??"
    Your actually looking at this the wrong way,God is God, if he sinned, than he is not God. God was not "unable" to sin, God can do anything, but he hates sin, so ofcourse he CHOSE not to sin, jsut like we CHOOSE to sin. And it wasnt that "God was unable to sin because he cant be separated from himself", that actually doesnt make sense, because sin causes separation between MAN and GOD.... But if GOD sinned, he would not even be God... So its the fact that God Is GOD, and the will of God is NEVER to sin. If God sinned he wouldnt be separated from himself, but he would not be God..

As for where is "the strive to not sin".. here it is, when Jesus was tempted by the devil wen he was hungry, the devil said turn the stones to bread. Our Lord was TEMPTED to do so, as a human he wanted very badly to eat (he strived not to eat)...He ALSO knew that fasting was far more important than satisfying the body. So even though his stomach was BEGGING for food, his goal was to save us, So he didnt have to think twice about whether he should eat or not. When he was on the cross, he could have at anytime called the angels to come save him, he was tempted to do so because of the amount of pain he was feeling... But pain was nothing compared to the Love he had for us... So you see, there was a strive for Christ to keep going. Our Lord Jesus Christ never let his divinity get in the way of him being tempted, althought his divinity never parted from him EVER, he just made it so that he as a HUMAN had to face EVERYTHING a human faces... Which is why he is so incredible. God, even as a human being, without using his power, could still overcome all temptation. Because God himself, hates sin.
  • hey meena_ameen,
    thank u soo much..that clarified things for me

THANX ALOT!!

-sister in Christ
  • no problem, ur welcome perfectsinner, keep me in your prayers :)