2 Kings 1 (Elijah)

edited April 2008 in Faith Issues
In 2 Kings 1:4, it says, “So Elijah departed.” Then, in 2 Kings 1: 3-4, it says that a man and his army pleaded with Elijah saying, “Man of God, please let my life and the life of these fifty servants of yours be precious in your sight... let my life now be precious in your sight.”

in this passage, what does it mean that Elijah "departed"? does that mean that he passed away or does it mean that he just left wherever he was (location wise)? I was very confused about this because at first, i thought it meant that he had departed and then when i kept reading a couple of chapters down, the Bible says that he ascended to heaven so i started doubting my interpretation!

Remember me always in your prayers.
-Your sister in Christ -

Comments

• Elijah is one of two people who have yet to taste death and are not dead. So when it says he departed it must mean from the region he was in. We don't know where Elijah is now but he will return again in the end of days and testify for christ and be killed and raised again. Hope this helps
  • Thanks Jydeacon! but maybe i should've clarified my question. my question is: in this particular passage, does the word "departed" refer to Elijah departing from the region or does it refer to his ascension?

Thanks again!
  • You would have to read it in the context of the passage you are taking it from, you can't just take anything in the bible and take it out of context. i don't have time to right now maybe someone else can tell you if they have a Bible close to them. Or maybe you can put that verse in context and someone else can respond.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • Moses and Elijah are the 2 ppl that r yet to taste  death right?
  • No Moses died, the other prophet besides Elijah is slipping my mind now, maybe someone else can answer that
  • I thought it was only Elijah who didn't, correct me if I'm wrong

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • I think the first one is Enoch and the second one is Elijah.
    GBU
  • I concur with John2s000
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]

Ahaziah was the the son and successor of Ahab. His mother was the "ever-popular" (sarcasm) Jezebel. Ahaziah was the 9th king of Israel. He fell through a lattice and was injured. He sent messengers to ask the pagan god, Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron, about his recovery. The Angel of the Lord spoke to Elijah about the wrongness of Ahaziah asking a false god about his recovery. The prophecy is towards him not Elijah. After telling the messengers Elijah left. It doesn't mean he died, although the Lord took him in a chariot of fire thus he never died. This is the whole context of the reading you asked about.

Hope it helped :)
  • Hey! thanks to everyone who contributed! Boricua_Orthodox, your reply clarified things alot.

I have another question now:
    Eve gave Adam the forbidden fruit to eat (Genesis 3:6). She knew which tree it had come from for she picked the fruit herself, but there is no mention that she told Adam this information. Therefore, how would he know that this fruit had come from the tree which God had forbidded, and why would he punished for something that for him was unintentional?

Remember me always in your prayers
    ~Your sister In Christ~
  • [quote author=Marmoura99 link=topic=6336.msg85531#msg85531 date=1207890198]
    and why would he punished for something that for him was unintentional?

im pretty sure he did know....
  • Yes, Enoch was the first person to depart from the earth without dying. It says so in Genesis 5:24.

Hope this helped.

Copt Andrew

• and why would he punished for something that for him was unintentional?

im pretty sure he did know....

Are there any verses that prove that he did know?
  • No no real proof, I've always thought that he didnt know he was eating from that fruit, but God is just, He says if you eat of this tree you shall surely die, not if you eat of this tree knowingly. But we will never really know adam knew or not
  • Well it doesn't go into much detail at all about the eating of the fruit.. but we do know for sure that Adam knew which fruit it was, as he was punished for his actions.

+God Bless
  • In a question such as whether Adam knew, one must ask, What is the author's intention?  Did the author intend to suggest Adam didn't know what he was eating?  This is a much better question than, Can the text allow the possibility that he didn't know.

If the author meant to suggest Adam didn't know, then you'd have some context clues.  For example, when Adam received the knowledge of good and evil whereby he realised he was naked, the author might have said something like, "When Adam saw that he was naked, he realised that the woman had deceived him and given him fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil" or when God was handing out the curses, we might have heard him say, "Woman, because you have deceived your husband, you shall have pain and suffering in childbirth" (or some such).
  • hmmm... I hadn't thought of it like that before!

God Bless
  • Neither did I.. I like it :)

Thanks Schoyen !