Should I learn arabic? Good idea or bad?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
There is extra spiritual material by H.H in arabic and other spiritual material (and there is more spiritual songs in arabic).. and I will be able to speak to people in egypt (if I ever go there). I ask this because I am afraid I will understand more arabic talk by muslims. The monks libraries.. is what is written mostly in arabic? I do not want to be influenced by muslims
I do not think I hate muslims but I think their religion is deceiving.. their songs seem nice it seems..
is the libraries in the monastaries.. are the books there mostly written in arabic?

anyway it may be hard to learn this language.

I want to convert the arabic stuff into english one day..

Comments

• i don't think it is a bad idea. i think it is a good idea. i know how to speak arabic and english. but i never knew how to rite or read arabic. so my mom taught me. now i can read but not very very well and rite but not very very well. and the muslim talk........... ignore it. if they come to u and ask u quesions or say convert or wutever, then talk back from the information u know about God from the bible and wut u have learned in sunday school. if u really believe in ur religion then u should have no problems with the muslims.
  • i personally think that its a good idea to learn the language. But if you are afraid of muslim talk then you going to have a very hard time becuase it is their language not ours. Its still good to know just as another language and of course incase you ever go to egypt. But it is very difficult to learn at an older age, so you have to have determination and not be lukewarm. you either have to go full out or not at all.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6236.msg82303#msg82303 date=1203347823]
    But if you are afraid of muslim talk then you going to have a very hard time becuase it is their language not ours.

even if it is their language, that doesn't mean anything, well it doesn't to me. the only thing that might be hard is wut i said.............

[quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6236.msg82302#msg82302 date=1203347582]
    and the muslim talk........... ignore it. if they come to u and ask u quesions or say convert or wutever, then talk back from the information u know about God from the bible and wut u have learned in sunday school. if u really believe in ur religion then u should have no problems with the muslims.

i do agree with u. but it doesn't mean anything if it is their language. all that matters is wut they tell u.
  • Dear mikeforjesus,
    I agree with jydeacon, and regretful+sinner in learning Arabic does no harm. Just stay away from stupid discussions. God help you with the readings as well. Christian readings are interesting in Arabic as I am told by friends of mine who learnt the language recently, but if you don't succeed in learning it, then you haven't lost too much. English translation of pope Shenouda's books, and those you will find in most monasteries in Egypt are brilliant as well. Good luck
    God bless you and pray for us a lot
  • +If u learn arabic as a second language, then u will be benifiting your self.
    + Most historical books are written in arabic as u said and a lot of hymns are in arabic. Plus having an extra language is better.
    +What if u suddenly went to Egypt for any reason. How will u communicate?
    + Arabic is a language. It can be used by anybody. Some people think that it is a 'muslim language' but it isn't. Just because it is associated with that region it doesn't mean that it is only to be used by muslims.

Go ahead and start learning. It's going to be hard and u will have difficulty but by training u will be good.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6236.msg82303#msg82303 date=1203347823]
    i personally think that its a good idea to learn the language. But if you are afraid of muslim talk then you going to have a very hard time becuase it is their language not ours. Its still good to know just as another language and of course incase you ever go to egypt. But it is very difficult to learn at an older age, so you have to have determination and not be lukewarm. you either have to go full out or not at all.

It certainly is a good idea, but also if I may add to what jydeacon said that learning at an older age, is much harder, and takes a lot of dedication, that's why it would have been smart to start doing this at a younger age, but somethings come up, and I'm not telling you that it's going to be hard, it may be, but if you continue on your learning, it will benefit you through all your years, but also remember that as you probably already knew that their are different types of arabic, like egyptian arabic, lebanese arabic, saudi arabian arabic..so on and so forth, their might be different translation for the same words in other countries, but keep focus, and don't let anything come in your way!!

[quote author=Kirmich link=topic=6236.msg82313#msg82313 date=1203353662]
    +If u learn arabic as a second language, then u will be benifiting your self.
    + Most historical books are written in arabic as u said and a lot of hymns are in arabic. Plus having an extra language is better.
    +What if u suddenly went to Egypt for any reason. How will u communicate?
    + Arabic is a language. It can be used by anybody. Some people think that it is a 'muslim language' but it isn't. Just because it is associated with that region it doesn't mean that it is only to be used by muslims.

Go ahead and start learning. It's going to be hard and u will have difficulty but by training u will be good.

Start off easy, don't go to the harder books, go to books that will not only help you, but the ones you understand from, maybe the only way that you understand arabic, or read arabic that is, is by read arabic english, since you are already associated with one of the 2, try not writing with the 2's, 3's, and 7's just quite yet, start of simple like ana baheb baba yasoo!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Learning arabic is not a bad idea!

I think you should go for it, because there are some pharases that can NOT be translated into english that would give you the same meaning as it would if it was in arabic! ;)

Pray for me,
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6236.msg82386#msg82386 date=1203387339]
    Learning arabic is not a bad idea!

I think you should go for it, because there are some pharases that can NOT be translated into english that would give you the same meaning as it would if it was in arabic! ;)

Pray for me,
    bentBABAyasooa`

I agree with bentBABAyasooa because most of the tamgeeds or praises for the saints are written in arabic to be poetic and to rhyme but when translated it loses its effect. Arabic is a really beautiful language. And trust me do not worry at all about the muslims, just know your faith well and you will be fine. GO FOR IT. ;D ;D ;D 
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=6236.msg82296#msg82296 date=1203323539]
    There is extra spiritual material by H.H in arabic and other spiritual material (and there is more spiritual songs in arabic).. and I will be able to speak to people in egypt (if I ever go there). I ask this because I am afraid I will understand more arabic talk by muslims. The monks libraries.. is what is written mostly in arabic? I do not want to be influenced by muslims
    I do not think I hate muslims but I think their religion is deceiving.. their songs seem nice it seems..
    is the libraries in the monastaries.. are the books there mostly written in arabic?

anyway it may be hard to learn this language.

I want to convert the arabic stuff into english one day..

Learning any language is great for the most part... especially when it's useful for prayer and meditation. There's no reason to worry about being influenced by the majority of speakers of that language.. whatever they may be (Muslim, Hindu, whatever) because if you are going to be influenced by them, the language barrier wouldn't stop you. So don't worry about it. Arabic is a rather difficult language, however.. best of luck  ;)

Peace
  • Mikeforejesus m8.....

totally go for learning arabic! Not only are there the religious benefits as highlighted by every1, but from an intellectual side, learning a language helps you massively. Of course communication, and readings, and tamageeds, all add up. but what i am slightly intrigued by is your thinking that learning arabic will expose you to "muslim talk". what do u mean by this? Surely if you have a strong faith then listening to muslim's arguments for or against religion can help you understand their strange ideas about our faith, and try and convert them to the Orthodox faith?

joe
  • Thankyou everyone who replied. I did not expect so many replies so quickly.  Thankyou for the encouragement. Hopefully it won't just be a day dream haha.

Dear josephgabriel

I was afraid I will be affected by them because some times I have doubts about my faith and sometimes I have very strong faith. I once accidently came accross a muslim website and I was confused by what I read. Maybe I did not know it was a muslim article. They were mentioning the Lord.. they seemed to be people who feared God and were giving advice. . it seemed christian to me maybe or like it.. they were talking about the youth and lust and day dreaming or something.. and advice against it..but it is not the muslims who have caused me doubts so far mostly.. I see sometimes the wickedness of their religion.. but the devil can try to back it up.. Pope Shenouda III says doubts are the worst temptation .. because the sins of the flesh he says can be easily overcome  and he says not everyone has the talent to refute it.. he warns against stumblings of this kind.. once a muslim in my previous uni invited me to go to his prayer meeting.. and the devil I think could tempt me to try to know more about islam when I get hurt by the muslims rejection of me.. though I don't think I did much wrong.. to try to win their favour.. or by their acceptance of me.. I don't know. Anyway it could be in my head. I think muslims are nice to me sometimes or whenever I buy from them. But they show some rejection perhaps. Whatever.

anyway God Bless

• o right, mikeforjesus, i see where you were coming from then. sorry if it seemed a little ignorant

joe
  • i know the discussion is kind aover but..

...eh.
    it;s not the best language to learn.
    you're probably better off learningg coptic..or something.

my dad doenst want me to [hardcore] learn arabic.
    so i can only speak it.
    and it's not like i CRAZY missing out on things.
    most things are translated anyways.
    :/
    eh.
    but i guess if you have the extraa timee andd dedication andd want ..then it's good?
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6236.msg82477#msg82477 date=1203482629]
    i know the discussion is kind aover but..

...eh.
    it;s not the best language to learn.
    you're probably better off learningg coptic..or something.

my dad doenst want me to [hardcore] learn arabic.
    so i can only speak it.
    and it's not like i CRAZY missing out on things.
    most things are translated anyways.
    :/
    eh.
    but i guess if you have the extraa timee andd dedication andd want ..then it's good?

it is actually not bad!!! wen egyptions know that u are like born in america and u know how to read and write and so on and so forth........ they are impressed. but that doesn't matter. well i don't know................. i know impression doesn't matter but it is great to learn another language. it will come in handy in the future. like in any job or something. if they say how many languages do u speak. or how many languages can u read, so on and so forth. but i do agree with u, if ur not sure then maybe learn it in ur spare time.
  • If you are on top of your studies and responsibilities, then, if you are able, i strongly recommend it.

GB
    Tony
  • i think its a great idea to lern. i speak arrabic perfetcly well.  but the reading nd riting is ehhh(like ten letters).  lol but i pratcice wenever i can.  u will think it may take forever but ull lern if ur relli deedicated!!m  RABENA MA7HAk

/
    mahraeel
    plzzz p4m sister in Christ
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6236.msg82499#msg82499 date=1203520508]
    i think its a great idea to lern. i speak arrabic perfetcly well.  but the reading nd riting is ehhh(like ten letters).  lol but i pratcice wenever i can.  u will think it may take forever but ull lern if ur relli deedicated!!m   RABENA MA7HAk

/
    mahraeel

hahahahaha.... this is how i am too.... I can talk arabic realy well... and understand as well....!! but when it comes to reading it's like i am in pre-school :P and when it comes to writing i am in KG1 :P
  • hahaha lol ;D

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m siste rin Christ
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6236.msg82508#msg82508 date=1203528114]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6236.msg82499#msg82499 date=1203520508]
    i think its a great idea to lern. i speak arrabic perfetcly well.  but the reading nd riting is ehhh(like ten letters).  lol but i pratcice wenever i can.  u will think it may take forever but ull lern if ur relli deedicated!!m   RABENA MA7HAk

/
    mahraeel

hahahahaha.... this is how i am too.... I can talk arabic realy well... and understand as well....!! but when it comes to reading it's like i am in pre-school :P and when it comes to writing i am in KG1 :P

me too!!!
  • yeahh..
    i was born in egypt and i was able to read/write at like a first or second grade leverl..but i can't anymore.
    and im not missing out on much.
    i think arabic wont do you all that well, like in the U.S you're better off learning espanoll [if you're thinking job wise and ect.]
  • It is a difficult language to learn, but it takes a lot of dedication, and as far as I know mikeforjesus you will probably dedicate anything that you set your mind to, isn't it the second hardest language, if I'm not mistakened?? I can talk well, beginning to lose it, my parents and even other family members when I went to visit them over the summer they make fun of me so much, it's ok because it's the same way when they speak english haha, not that I'm perfect at english either, but I try to be, never going to accomplish it, but oh well..it's worth a shot and when it comes to reading and writing, umm tried writing my full name forgot how to, and I messed up writing it to (shh..don't tell anybody but I used to write from left-to-right, not right-to-left, as you're supposed to haha!!)

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • relli but how do u do that left to rite?  lol ha ;D

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m  sister in Christ
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6236.msg82692#msg82692 date=1203652952]
    relli but how do u do that left to rite?  lol ha ;D

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m  sister in Christ

I was so used to writing in english from left-to-right that I forgot that in arabic they write from right-to-left, but I didn't realize it until my parents finally noticed that I was writing my name correctly but in the wrong format!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • o lol :) pretti funni

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m siste rin Christ
  • Coptic Servent, you did write it right anyways ;)

mikeforjesus,
    You're right there is a wealth of books etc. that were or are being translated (I heard about an important effort being done in Australia), though a whole lot more books, big and small, for many age groups are waiting to be translated. Your intention of learning Arabic to help in this process is a great one.

I understood you know already some Arabic that's very good, though I think it's a long process to reach the mastering level that should be as much as accurate for the classic translation of a big book. For instance in my situation, I read, write and use Arabic on a daily basis it's my native tongue but when it comes to translating, though I know English fairly well, it's not this easy and it always needs many revisions (vocabulary, grammar, the writing style, trends and mood etc.). I think the first book to translate is the hardest. For non professional translators, big books translations are better and faster if done in a teamwork frame

Now I have no doubt that you will do much better than I. If you really want that, you need to dedicate a good part of your time for this noble cause (greatly edifying for yourself and for others). But first please finish well your main studies (and higher studies if you must) while gradually in time learning more and more Arabic alongside. Pray for the Lord's Grace and Help, His Will be done.

GBU

• Hi

Learning a language is never a bad idea..  it adds more to you..  as you can understand the culture, grab a whole lot of whats goin on in books, news, movies..  etc.   Also I think that the matter of fearing to hear some stuff you don't want in that language, that could happen with any language, and English is not innocent :)  You might want to check this site  http://st-takla.org/Learn_Languages/01_Learn_Arabic-ta3leem-3araby/Learn-Arabic_00-index_El-Fehres.html  for a start..  Also the English Coptic Songs Lyrics section at that site has many of those lyrics in Arabic too, I think it might help..

God bless..