Homosexuality

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I had a discussion today with a classmate that said homosexuality was proven that passed down through genes which developed over the years like cancer, or at least there is a study on it right now. I kept arguing that even the Bible is against it then one said that shouldn't God love everyone I answered back saying that God hates the sin and not the person then that person said that homosexuality was not a sin. Can anyone please tell me what is with homosexuality being passed down by genes? Also please state verses from the Bible that clearly say that homosexuality is a sin and wrong? Thank You All, pray for me.

Comments

• Homosexuality, in fact, is wholly psychological.

To practice homosexuality is sin, no matter what. The Bible itself says so, from both the Old and New Testaments:

Leveticus 18:22: [22.] You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13: [13.] If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1:26-27: [26.] For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. [27.] Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10: [9.] Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,  nor sodomites, [10.] nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10: [9.] knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, [10.] for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,[...]

For reference, these are from the New King James Version of the Bible, generally accepted as the official English translation that should be used.

So, it is very clear that it is a sin and that those who practice it, in the words of St. Paul, "will not inherit the kingdom of God". Churches that allow, accept, and promote this act certainly do not use the Bible as their base, so I wonder if they are actual churches to begin with?

Hope that I helped, please pray for me.
  • Romans 1:27
    Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

• [quote author=Severus link=topic=6218.msg82157#msg82157 date=1203045371]
    Homosexuality, in fact, is wholly psychological.

To practice homosexuality is sin, no matter what. The Bible itself says so, from both the Old and New Testaments:

Leveticus 18:22: [22.] You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13: [13.] If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1:26-27: [26.] For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. [27.] Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10: [9.] Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,  nor sodomites, [10.] nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10: [9.] knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, [10.] for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,[...]

For reference, these are from the New King James Version of the Bible, generally accepted as the official English translation that should be used.

So, it is very clear that it is a sin and that those who practice it, in the words of St. Paul, "will not inherit the kingdom of God". Churches that allow, accept, and promote this act certainly do not use the Bible as their base, so I wonder if they are actual churches to begin with?

Hope that I helped, please pray for me.

Thank You very much both of you for your respnse but please tell me where you got the fact that "Homosexuality is wholly psychological". I agree with you but what about the discoveries about it being genetic.
                Read this : http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n35_v9/ai_13284591

I will try to get more research but please tell me your source, and also if you can answer these discoveries. Thank You GBU.
  • Beware that some people are trying to do studies on it to try and prove the bible to be harsh and mean by proving that homosexuality is like a desease that you have no control over. By doing this, they will get people to feel sorry for homosexuals and get people to have a different opinion on the bible.
  • But do you think the research is a hoax, that just wouldn't be right. Scientists lying, isn't that against the law. Did you read the article though? Why would they lie that just doesn't sound right. ???
  • There is no such gene.

Science, in this case, is being used as an implement to somehow justify a sinful state.

I think they should be concentrating on other genes to help mankind.  Yet, another avenue
    to spend tax dollars for idiotic purpose.

Question:  What if they don't find A gene?  What does that mean?

It does not quiet the issue.

I think Severus gave all the pertinent references very well.
  • But realize this though that they have found the brain of a homosexual to be different than that of a heterosexual. The money being spent is not a waste apparently because they want to prove freedom and pursuit of happiness to all, and if it be genetic that can be done.
  • The brain can change during life. If certain neurons are more active or are being used more often, they connect better allowing for better recall of information, shape our personality or change our drive related behavior. The brain is open to a lot of change after birth. So just because a person's brain is different does not mean it is genetic. The idea of "if you don't use it you lose it" comes to play.

A very good point ilovesaintmark, you would think with the limited budget for research nowadays, they would stop wasting our hard earned money for something like that. 

I too do not believe that it is genetic. And if researchers are putting our money into something like that, I would be the first to tell them about how many people around the world are going with out food or how many cancers and diseases are left without a cure, just so they can justify their life of sin, give me a break.

• There has been no convincing evidence to show that homosexuality is inherited. It sounds contradictory to me, actually. To inherit, must you not have intercourse between opposite genders? If a tendency for homosexuality existed, it was obviously suppressed and propagated, which I find ironic.

The tendency to sin is in all of us, what makes homosexuality so different? Addiction is very genetic based. Lot's of bad things are genetic based: heart disease, cancer, being aggressive etc.

Our genetic code is not the code for living or being, the code is God. Our genetic code is the platform in which we have our strengths, gifts but also our weaknesses and tribulations to overcome, to reveal the perfect will of God. We weren't created perfect- but we are created to become perfect.

Research has proven the contrary; though there is some flimpsy link to the genetic basis of homosexuality, homosexuality is mostly from rearing.

Research is being done all the time to try to prove or disprove hypothesis. This means nothing.
  • [quote author=markos123 link=topic=6218.msg82204#msg82204 date=1203117192]
    I too do not believe that it is genetic. And if researchers are putting our money into something like that, I would be the first to tell them about how many people around the world are going with out food or how many cancers and diseases are left without a cure, just so they can justify their life of sin, give me a break.

I think that people should have more say on what research is given grants.  I totally agree.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6218.msg82211#msg82211 date=1203126115]
    There has been no convincing evidence to show that homosexuality is inherited. It sounds contradictory to me, actually. To inherit, must you not have intercourse between opposite genders? If a tendency for homosexuality existed, it was obviously suppressed and propagated, which I find ironic.

The tendency to sin is in all of us, what makes homosexuality so different? Addiction is very genetic based. Lot's of bad things are genetic based: heart disease, cancer, being aggressive etc.

Our genetic code is not the code for living or being, the code is God. Our genetic code is the platform in which we have our strengths, gifts but also our weaknesses and tribulations to overcome, to reveal the perfect will of God. We weren't created perfect- but we are created to become perfect.

Research has proven the contrary; though there is some flimpsy link to the genetic basis of homosexuality, homosexuality is mostly from rearing.

Research is being done all the time to try to prove or disprove hypothesis. This means nothing.

You said it yourself if it is passed down genetically (which i am not saying it does) then it is not those peoples fault and there would be much controversy if this was a sin. I agree completely that this is a waste of research and that homosexuality IS A SIN, but this research makes you think, if it is like cancer than you can't control it you have proved there point for them. Defend your point.
  • I said no such thing. You don't inherit having sex with people of the same gender! Those are actions. You didn't inherit the fight that you had with your friend or whatever today! You choose to act on your aggression.

All I showed was that we inherit things that are not perfect; but it doesn't make it right. You inherit cancer, but you still do well to fight; if not for a cure, it is to stop its crippling effect on your psyche and spirit.

You may inherit, in part, same-sex attraction, but it doesn't make it right. You may inherit being rowdy, but it doesn't make it right. You may inherit stupidity, but doesn't make it the ideal.

I am saying that our morality does not hinge on what genetics have to say. God does not give our moral code in our DNA, but through the Holy Spirit, and God-breathed Scriptures.

People inherit poverty, should we accept it at that? People inherit addiction to morphine, to crack, to alcohol; should we accept that?

Our sexuality is not inherited; it's inspired. We are to make it pure.

Society tells us that fornification is not a sin, but we know it's not Christian and a lack of control. We inherit that too. But we know we have to resist such deviance. What makes homosexuality special? Just because they have organised themselves and have the loudest lobbyists around?
  • Wait what is SSA. Also look I am not trying to say anything , but if this was a genetic thing, why would such a horrible thing be allowed by God? I mean God is merciful and just and loving, why place such a burden on a person????
  • Firstly, there are many twins where one is homosexual and the other is not. Secondly, we inherit many burdens and weaknesses. But where you see burden, God's sees an opportunity for us to be dependent on His mercy, and derive strength from Him, and be transformed.

If we were born perfect; if we inherited all good things, how can we appreciate God?

The Christian way is to carry his cross; it is struggle! If Christ bore the burden of the world, should we not with silent reverance contemplate and accept.
  • How can you fight against something that is you. You were born that way, that is against natural strength. God is loving and knows the capability of men, if these people are going to fall why would they be given such a burden.
  • With great difficulty.

However, did you even read what I said; it is ONLY *probably* partially genetic; and in fact genetics is probably a very small attributing factor. It is probably ASSOCIATED (weak link) not CAUSING (strong link). There is not causal genetic link, at all. There, I believe, is no evidence whatsoever for a causal relationship, and much proof against.

To depend on God and receive from the PANTOKRATOR ('the Almighty') power from on High. Do you read the prayers of the Agpia? It is filled with lamentations of our weak and abject self, contrasting with the joy and righteousness we receive from God the Beneficient Father.

That is why, if you see a repentent homosexual you should acknowledge that his warfare will be difficult, and be supportive and not condemnating.

• I am not speaking for my self but for people that out there agreeing with the idea of gay marriage. What do we answer them, you can't go to a protestant or a jew and tell them read the agpia, you just can't. We must stand for what we know,but we also have to defend our point if this crisis which science MIGHT have stepped on. What do we answer. Where do we defend our point. I am completely against marriage, but people go and say that the gov't can't be governed by the Bible. [glow=red,2,300]What do we answer?[/glow]???
  • You are flipping into different issues.

If the Gay marriage passes, then the Church is suppose to acknowledge such institution.

Let Church and State be separate. Let the State not try to get their fanciful laws into our Churches!

The burden of proof is on their side. Not ours. The Constitution is clear on the issue.