Why should u READ the BIBLE!!??

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey u guys!! there is this kid in my sunday school class who can't get an answer through his head!! His question was if someone is good all of their life why should they read the bible!!?? My answer to him was , "Men can't live by bread alone but my the word of God!!" But he couldn't get it through his head!! even the teachers told him the answer!!! but still sticking with his answer!!! so can u guys explain or answer the question so maybe i would tell the kid!!?? if u want me to repeat it, the question is, If a person is good all of their life why should he/she read the bible!!?? Can u guys plz reply back!!! thank u!! and GBU guys!!

Comments

• well how old is the kid... u cant throw verses at kids of a certain age its like trying to teach a first grader algebra u need to use more plain words
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6179.msg81843#msg81843 date=1202177850]
    well how old is the kid... u cant throw verses at kids of a certain age its like trying to teach a first grader algebra u need to use more plain words

the kid is about 14 r 15 years old
  • thats even better i know the 14 and 15 year olds in my church would care less about the verses u tell them, they need something that makes sense to them, u need to drop down to their level. the reason we read the Bible is because it brings the Word of God into our lives, its our basic manual to life its how we should live our lives. there were certain instructions in the bible that we dont think of on our own for example matthew 7:1 judge not that you not be judged for with what judgement you judge you will be judge and with what measure you use it will be measured back to you... with everything we say or do it will come back to us. also we will be judge by every idle word... so we need to be careful of what we say because we will be judge by it theres a lot of things u can say to convince them but it just needs to be something that affects them directly as much as possible you know what i mean?
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6179.msg81846#msg81846 date=1202178937]
    thats even better i know the 14 and 15 year olds in my church would care less about the verses u tell them, they need something that makes sense to them, u need to drop down to their level. the reason we read the Bible is because it brings the Word of God into our lives, its our basic manual to life its how we should live our lives. there were certain instructions in the bible that we dont think of on our own for example matthew 7:1 judge not that you not be judged for with what judgement you judge you will be judge and with what measure you use it will be measured back to you... with everything we say or do it will come back to us. also we will be judge by every idle word... so we need to be careful of what we say because we will be judge by it theres a lot of things u can say to convince them but it just needs to be something that affects them directly as much as possible you know what i mean?

ya i do no wut u mean!! but he doesn't understand that it is our manual!! the kid says if u r very good ur whole life why do u have to read the bible!! so his answer after u mention to him wut u said woud be ya but the person woudn't judge anyone because the person he is talking about is perfect!! look i just confused myself!! look can we call the imaginary person the kid is using bob?? ok look if u tell him wut u typed in a min ago he would say, but bob is perfect why would he want a manual!!?? do u know wut i mean!! the kid thinks that someone can be so perfect, he or she wouldn't have to read the bible!! but we are all human we make mistakes! this is wut he can't understand!!
  • its not just a manually...

a person has three compeninets.. soul spirt and body...

you feed body with food... (i like feeding my body... hahah cholcate..)

you feed your spirirt through your actions.. cause i think spirt is equal to will

and you feed your soul through reading the bible...

does that help?
  • [quote author=KrazyLion link=topic=6179.msg81850#msg81850 date=1202180136]
    its not just a manually...

you feed your spirirt through your actions.. cause i think spirt is equal to will

does that help?

ya i have heard that before!! i like that!!!
  • If your Creator, your Father, and your Saviour wanted to speak to you, would you not atleast give Him that?

The Scriptures aren't just a "Manual for living Morally"; in fact, the point of Christianity is not to make us "good citizens of the Earth"; it is about being in communion with God. The Church began with Adam; the story of us begins with Adam. The reason things are the way they are starts from Adam. To understand ourselves, to understand the reason for our being, to understand, appreciate and thus live by the Creator, the Bible is a source of unique insights to what is our purpose, and has plenty of characters we can elarn from both their ill and their courage and conviction.

Our purpose is not to be good, whatever the kid thinks that means. It is to be in communion with God and His Church; and as with trying to understand and keep up with anyone, we must try to find out:
    1) Who God is?
    2) Who are those that have influenced my life?
    3) What is the purpose of this relationship?
    4) How does this affect my life?
    and many other questions.

The Bible is not the Ten Commandments; but they are in there. The Bible is much more; more than even a record of all the happenings of the Old testament Church; it is where we understand ourselves, our relationship with God and how it should affect our lives.

Amazingly, it is under our fingertips.
  • [quote author=KrazyLion link=topic=6179.msg81850#msg81850 date=1202180136]
    its not just a manually...

does that help?

thats really good
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6179.msg81856#msg81856 date=1202182417]
    If your Creator, your Father, and your Saviour wanted to speak to you, would you not atleast give Him that?

The Scriptures aren't just a "Manual for living Morally"; in fact, the point of Christianity is not to make us "good citizens of the Earth"; it is about being in communion with God. The Church began with Adam; the story of us begins with Adam. The reason things are the way they are starts from Adam. To understand ourselves, to understand the reason for our being, to understand, appreciate and thus live by the Creator, the Bible is a source of unique insights to what is our purpose, and has plenty of characters we can elarn from both their ill and their courage and conviction.

Our purpose is not to be good, whatever the kid thinks that means. It is to be in communion with God and His Church; and as with trying to understand and keep up with anyone, we must try to find out:
    1) Who God is?
    2) Who are those that have influenced my life?
    3) What is the purpose of this relationship?
    4) How does this affect my life?
    and many other questions.

The Bible is not the Ten Commandments; but they are in there. The Bible is much more; more than even a record of all the happenings of the Old testament Church; it is where we understand ourselves, our relationship with God and how it should affect our lives.

Amazingly, it is under our fingertips.

that was fantastic!!! i will definetly mention this to the kid and my sunday school teachers!!!
  • Hey u guys do u have any other explanations!!!???
  • There are wars out there for your soul; you even have diabolical wars within yourself. You need a reference outside of yourself, and outside the trends of the worlds to be firm in morality that God had planned in us. We need to be reminded, even the bst of us, the finner things in life: that is the reality of God and His interaction with the world and us. The Scriptures is what binds all Christians together. Our Churches, our families and ourselves. The Scriptures are clear about what love is, what wisdom is, what prudence is, what faith is, what morality is, what God loves and what God despises, what we should love and what we should hate, what others have done in problems we have not experienced yet and the lessons learnt can help you guide decisions later in life. Not only are they clear about those things, they have examples and imagery that can be instilled in your mind for all time. It doesn't just say what love is (1. Cor. 13); it gives us the image of a naked bleeding man, hanging on the Cross, gasping for air, despised, begging God to forgive those that put Him there.

Today, I read for Quiet Time Revelations 2:1-7, and I was reminded that whilst I have been trying to ensure I was rid of heresies and trying to understand God,  I have neglected the first works- and that is to love God and His people. My quest for understanding was not to appreciate, but a sterile study. I needed to repent- and I did not kill anybody, or rob a bank, yet I still had the same guilt. It was a timely reminder. You won't have this if you are ignoring the Bible. You can't be good if you are not actively pursueing God's righteousness, for the Devil is actively trying to get your soul. He is a roaring lion, searching for vulnerable prey. If the sword of faith is not within your reach, prepare to be devoured. By the way, where did I get these imagery from? From the Bible- the Bible tells me the reality of evil forces outside.

And because we all fall and do mistakes, the Bible encourages us to repent and confess.

"Let us pray for the hearing of the Holy Gospel"
  • Why does a doctor have to study medicine? And a lawyer, law? And a writer, literature?
  • Exactly. That is probably the best answer I have read.
  • good point u guys!!! anyone else!!!???
  • First of all to this kid, there is nobody who is perfect and does not commit any sins. I think that is a very important point you must make to him, only God is perfect. Secondly the Bible is the Word of God, it is God in black and white and we must read it to stay connected to him. Also the kid must understand that the bible is the food for you spirit as someone said earlier and without it your spirit will die you will be weak against satan's attacks. Most importantly pray for him that God may pierce his heart.

God Bless.
  • As mentioned earlier by KrazyLion, the spirit needs the Bible because if it does not receive the Bible regularly, it will not be as strong and willing to let temptations go through as it would be if one did. By the way, that would have to be one good person to be good enough to skip the Bible in his worship. In fact, it is beyond bad, because you never receive the Word of God which is in fact all of the goodness that can ever be done or was ever done (this concept is beyond confusing, so bare with me). So, therefore, anything done by anyone that does not read the Bible, is in fact not good (not saying it is bad, I am just saying it is not good), because there is no goodness into his work for the goodness of God is not in him.
  • Just try and guide the kid into some interesting stories that are in the bible, like the story of joseph or the story of samson, but the reason he might not be readin the bible is because he has read the book like leviticus or the books of chronicles which will obviously put him off reading the bible because they are very borin books and might think that the rest of the bible is boring and is just a waste of time. Challenge him and say u read a chapter every night for two weeks and u will enjoy it, and u pray for him without doubting but with faith, so that God may help him read the bible. also tell him that the bible is a way of cleansing the heart. heres a story which i love.

There was a monk who used to read the bible without understanding what he was reading, so he went to his spiritual father who  told him just keep reading it, when the monk was leaving, his spiritual father told him to on his way to fill up this dirty basket with water. the monk fulfilled the fathers words with obedience. he finished the bible in 4 or 5 months and went back to the spiritual father and said "father i have finished the whole bible and i still dont understand the bible", the father told the monk ok finish the bible again and wash this basket on your way and bring it back.this happened a couple more times were he finished the bible and washed the basket. the father asked the monk what have u learnt from the basket. the monk didnt know wat to say so the holy father said " just as u washed this basket and the water cleaned it from its filth and dirt, so to the Word of God cleanses and sanctifies u from top to bottom" the monk went away with joy and peace and gradually learnt the teachings of the bible and understood it fluently..

Thus reading the bible is an essential part of a Christians life whether good or bad as it cleanses us from head to toe.
  • The Bible is not for good people. It is for us sinners. How many people have we hurt in this new year- I know I wasn't always a source of happiness to my God, my family and friends. How much have I wasted money, while I pass homeless people and sometimes looked down on them- forgetting i was blessed. I got sick a few weeks ago, and I said, my life sucks- can you believe it? And when the cancer council called me few days ago I was reluctant to give a donation. I mean, instead of appreciating the pain of others and wanting to help, knowing that being sick is very unpleasant, I would rather use my time and money on things I probably could do without. For the pain of a mesely few weeks, I forgot the blessings of God of many years?! Few days ago, I excused myself for lying, saying it is a trivial thing- well, would I be like Christ, who would not lie, even to save Himself from death? How about Abraham, who told Pharoah that his wife was his sister- did God think that was trivial? My friend got a tattoo, and if I did not read the Bible, I may have also had one (c.f. Lev 19:28). I nearly had an unhealthy relationship with a friend; but the Bible clearly reminded me early on of the destructive path, and I was able to ensure I did not spiral down to the depth of hell- something I sadly now observe of my friend with tears.

Maybe this hypothetical person is good. Maybe he doesn't need the Bible. But I do. I am a sinner; my Salvation is of the LORD. And in His Word is the story of my transformation.
  • If He thinks that he lives a perfect life or knows everything, challenge him with something he does not know about. Something else that has been very useful to do is putting the name of those kids on the altar. Of course they can't see that but God will help you deliver the right message and opens his heart & theirs to hear your message.
    I hope that helped.
    Plz pray for me
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=6179.msg81874#msg81874 date=1202274404]
    First of all to this kid, there is nobody who is perfect and does not commit any sins. I think that is a very important point you must make to him, only God is perfect. Secondly the Bible is the Word of God, it is God in black and white and we must read it to stay connected to him. Also the kid must understand that the bible is the food for you spirit as someone said earlier and without it your spirit will die you will be weak against satan's attacks. Most importantly pray for him that God may pierce his heart.

God Bless.

relly nice!!
  • [quote author=soldier for scetis link=topic=6179.msg81876#msg81876 date=1202289318]
    Just try and guide the kid into some interesting stories that are in the bible

ya i already tried that!!! but it didn't work
  • [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=6179.msg81879#msg81879 date=1202311537]
    If He thinks that he lives a perfect life or knows everything, challenge him with something he does not know about. Something else that has been very useful to do is putting the name of those kids on the altar. Of course they can't see that but God will help you deliver the right message and opens his heart & theirs to hear your message.
    I hope that helped.
    Plz pray for me

the kid said wut if someone i don't think he is talking about himself!!!
  • hey u guys can u give me some verses to explain the answer to this question!!!??? plz!!!
  • your not going to find any verses from the Bible saying to read the Bible, all church fathers have said how important it is
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6179.msg81912#msg81912 date=1202349188]
    your not going to find any verses from the Bible saying to read the Bible, all church fathers have said how important it is

what i mean is a verse like this ......
    Men shall not live by bread alone but by the word of God!!!

do u see something like that
  • This is a quote from a previous post on here but under a different heading and I REALLY LIKED IT
    B- BASIC
    I- INSTRUCTIONS
    B- BEFORE
    L- LEAVING
    E- EARTH
    hope this helps :)
    and thanks goes to Regretful+Sinner for posting it!
  • [quote author=BabaKyrillosVI link=topic=6179.msg82858#msg82858 date=1203955994]
    This is a quote from a previous post on here but under a different heading and I REALLY LIKED IT
    B- BASIC
    I- INSTRUCTIONS
    B- BEFORE
    L- LEAVING
    E- EARTH
    hope this helps :)
    and thanks goes to Regretful+Sinner for posting it!

thnx for reminding me!!!!! it is as they say..................... big things can come in small packages!!! thnx!!!

• There is also an amazing sermon by Abouna Anthony on orthodoxsermons.com under the series on "Follow the yellow brick road" (#3) and he gives 6 ways:
    i would recommend everyone to go listen to it because its amazing and i personally learned a lot from it but here is the just of it...
    1. HEAR (the word of God)- in other words listen to sermons, the Bible in church and so on... but 95% of things that you hear, you forget so you have to take it to the next lever...
    2. READ (the word of God)- have a plan to read the Bible systematically. Also, the most important factor in you beneffiting from the word of God is what you expect to get out of it. For example, if you expect nothing then you will get nothing out of it (everytime), so expand your expectations.
    3. STUDY (the word of God)- like a text book, write stuff down, take notes, dig deep inside. There are 2 methods to studying the word of God: attend a group study (Bible study) and begin a personal study, finding your own piece of gold-leads you to your own search for your own food. Meaning: if you dont understand what you're reading then be patient and keep digging and asking questions.
    Just remember that just because you may not understand it, it doesnt mean that it doesnt make sense. With time, it'll do all the stuff its supposed to do.
    4. MEMORIZE (the word of God)- For example, if i had a big weapon, its not good to leave it at home, the war fare is out there, so we need to memorize verses. and dont just memorize the verse but memorize the message.
    5. MEDITATE (on the word of God)
    6. APPLY (the word of God)

Abouna actually goes into details with each of the above points, sorry the points that i have written are very brief but hope this helps.
    GOD BLESS
  • In [glow=red,2,300]the Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]

St. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 2:16 for us to know God's will must have the mind of Christ:
            "15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?”[a] But we have the mind of Christ."

How can we have the mind of Christ? By reading, studying and internalizing the Gospel as taught by the Church! Where is the source to know His teachings? The Holy Bible is the written source. The Holy Spirit guides us to understand and deepen our understanding of Christ in our daily lives. If you read the rest of 1 Corinthians 2 and 3 you will see how St. Paul teaches his spiritual children according to their level of understanding:
                       " 1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;- 1Cor.3:1-2."
                  This is why we have priests, monks, deacons, nuns and holy laymen to teach us the True Faith as handed down to the Holy Apostles by the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's like a recovering alcoholic who reads their A.A. Big Book and has a sponsor to help them keep sober, one day at a time. We are "sin addicts" who need to go to our "meetings (Holy  Liturgy)", read the "Good Book" and have a Confessor/Holy Father to guide us in our growth to stay "sober" from sin and grow in the Image and Likeness of our Lord Jesus Christ, one day at a time.  

Hope it helps ;D.  
  • [quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6179.msg81837#msg81837 date=1202174970]
    Hey u guys!! there is this kid in my sunday school class who can't get an answer through his head!! His question was if someone is good all of their life why should they read the bible!!?? My answer to him was , "Men can't live by bread alone but my the word of God!!" But he couldn't get it through his head!! even the teachers told him the answer!!! but still sticking with his answer!!! so can u guys explain or answer the question so maybe i would tell the kid!!?? if u want me to repeat it, the question is, If a person is good all of their life why should he/she read the bible!!?? Can u guys plz reply back!!! thank u!! and GBU guys!!

First of all, Christ likened His Word to the manna that fell from heaven. It was food for the Israelites. When they received the Manna, God told them that they should not store it, but have it daily.

There has to be daily consumption of God's word. It has to fill you.

Secondly, No one is good. This is a disasterous combination - to be Christian and think that you are immune to sin and temptation.

Not only should one read the Bible, but it has to be daily; otherwise, you'll become spiritually weak. Which is what happens when you don't have food.

I understand his point of view, nevertheless : That why do you need God's word if you simply don't commit a sin.

There was a story in the sayings of the Desert Fathers where a monk went to his FoC and told him "Father, tell me a word of spiritual benefit". His FoC responded and said "Love your neighbour as yourself". The monk went away and came back after 10 years and told him "I have completed this, now tell me another".

This story gives the impression that the monk went away for 10 years and practiced applying ONE verse of the Bible. It doesnt say whether he read other passages or not. The story gives the impression also that he really didnt bother reading other passages because he was too busy learning to apply this one commandment.

If I said to myself :Well, There's no point in reading the Bible UNLESS i've learnt to forgive my enemies - i should first forgive them before thinking about reading anything else, I think the problem with this it is the same as your parents telling you to not swear or use bad language. It is an order that they've given you. Does that mean you should CEASE all conversation with your parents until you have learnt this? Does it mean that you should hide yourself away from their presence and wisdom until you are 110% sure you will cease to swear?? In fact, the exact analogy of this story would be nowhere near the situation your friend is in. The closest analogy of his situation would be that he doesnt offend his parents, so there is no point in talking to them or listening to them. Surely, that in itself is very rude??? No?

He has to decide whether or not he is a Christian, and being a Christian means one is in a relationship with God. We know this because fornication as a Christian becomes Adultary in God's eyes because our souls are the brides of Christ. When a Christian fornicates, he commits adultary. When a non-Christian fornicates, it is simply fornication.

I can honestly understand how he ended up thinking this way. Christ, afterall did say "to abide in Me, OBEY MY COMMANDMENTS" - but obeying His Commandments and not reading the Bible daily would be like being married with someone and never talking to your wife. I think one of you would just get depressed? No? Neither of you will grow. And the whole idea of reading the Bible is to cleanse you anyway. So, he is assuming he is not sinning. This is disasterous. He is assuming he is perfect and does not need God's word. This is a very dangerous attitude because it is the exact opposite of humility.