Covenant of Salt

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
What is the covenant of salt spoken of in Numbers 18:
"All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer to the Lord, I have given to you and your sons and daughters with you as an ordinance forever; it is a covenant of salt forever before the Lord with you and your descendants with you."
                                                  (Numbers 18:19)
Why is the covenant where the priests and their families receive the offerings referred to as a covenant of salt?

Comments

• "It all boils down to Culture ( 3esh we Mal7) =(Bread and salt) in Arabic. Once a servant of God has received in his tent even his worst enemy and has eaten salt (food) with him, he is bound to protect his guest as long as he remains."
    If anyone doesn't agree with this, feel free to correct me cuz i was debating on this a couple of weeks ago on how simple it sounds but there has to be more to it than this. But anyways once again this was the conclusion we came to when argeuing about it.. its not guaranteed right!

GBU
    sandra
  • enta/enty rabena beyhebeak, this was our lesson in pre servants today! hope it makes more sense than wat i wrote before cuz the previous one didnt convince me much.

ok.. The salt was considered a VERY important thing in the old AND the new testament. the bible says "you're the salt of the earth" and the example mentioned before (3esh we mal7) is still used until now in egypt. If you eat 3esh we mal7 with someone that means even if you're enemies or hate each other for any reason, the salt and bread which is a very harsh thing to eat,  you beared that together.

GBU
    sandra
  • Why is it in reference to the Levis though?  They were not at enmity with the rest of Israel.