Kosher

I was wondering as Christians
we know that the Peter was told to eat of all
but what about the other rules of Kosher from the Old Testament
such as the animal has to be healthy and slaughtered and teh blood has to be drained.......

I mean most of us in the Lands of Immigration don't know to much about the proper way of the animals death but "theoratically" do we still follow the rest of the rules???

Comments

• [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5719.msg76377#msg76377 date=1188681721]
    I was wondering as Christians
    we know that the Peter was told to eat of all
    but what about the other rules of Kosher from the Old Testament
    such as the animal has to be healthy and slaughtered and teh blood has to be drained.......

I mean most of us in the Lands of Immigration don't know to much about the proper way of the animals death but "theoratically" do we still follow the rest of the rules???

The New Testament and the canons of the Church forbid us to eat the blood of any animal, as well as animals who have either been strangled or sacrificed to idols. These are elements of the Kashrut law still applicable to us.
  • So what about animals who died a natural death
    i mean taht is waht most of the fast food we eat is
  • So what about animals who died a natural death
    i mean taht is waht most of the fast food we eat is

^^ who said that most of the fast food we eat is animals who died naturally? becasuee, uhh...well, from what i know, they most def. did not die naturally.
  • well not "naturally" per-say
    but more like animals who died a differetn method other than slaughtering i.e. animals who died with their blood still iin them.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5719.msg76380#msg76380 date=1188693606]
    The New Testament and the canons of the Church forbid us to eat the blood of any animal, as well as animals who have either been strangled or sacrificed to idols. These are elements of the Kashrut law still applicable to us.

I thought Paul, in 1 Corinthians 8, said that we are not forbidden from any sort of food whatsoever, even if it is meat that has been sacrificed to idols.  To us, it is just food, and as Christ Himself said, 'It is not what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out of him.'  I believe Paul makes an exception if it will cause someone of weaker faith to stumble.  Then, for the sake of one's brother, one should refrain from eating such foods.
  • + In the beginning of the creation God gave man to eat just plant food
      "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” Genesis 1:29

+ After the flood God gave Noah and his family meat for their food " Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
    But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.” Genesis 9:2-3

+ At the first council which held in Jerusalem under the leadership of St. James the Just with the presence of St. Paul, The Apostle James said  “  Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
    But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollution of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled and from blood.” Acts 15:19-20

So eating the blood was forbidding in the old testament and stayed forbidden in the age of Grace.

Safaa,

Thank you for those verses.  The problem is, this begs the question further.  If the Apostles at the first Council of Jerusalem set down a sort of 'Christian Kosher Law', then how do we reconcile that with what Christ says in Mark 7, namely:

17.  When he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about the parable.
    18.  He said to them, "Then do you also fail to understand? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile,
    19.  since it enters, not the heart but the stomach, and goes out into the sewer?" (Thus he declared all foods clean.)
    20.  And he said, "It is what comes out of a person that defiles.
    21.  For it is from within, from the human heart, that evil intentions come: fornication, theft, murder,
    22.  adultery, avarice, wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, folly.
    23.  All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."

(NB: This is the NRSV translation)

Please note verses 18 and 19 in particular.  Any sort of rationale would be greatly appreciated.
  • Dear Cevac,

God in the old testaments prohibited the Jews from eating certain foods, e.g. pigs certain types of fish, rabbits and so on. From the spiritual point of view those foods were symbolic of the gentile nations which the Lord warned the Jews from bonding with them. When the Lord appeared in the flesh and granted salvation to the whole world, He nullified that law of eating by saying that “ Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile,since it enters, not the heart but the stomach, and goes out into the sewer?". Even the Apostle Peter did not grasp this concept, “ Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    10: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
    11: And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
    12: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    13: And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14: But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    15: And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
    16: This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven”
    . Act 10

The symbol in the old is removed by fulfilling it through the preaching to the Gentiles. It is exactly like the sacrifices of the old testaments were symbolic of the Cross of Christ, no more we offer such sacrifice. Another example is the circumcision was the type and is fulfilled in the Holy Baptism. There are still many commandments that the Lord ordered his people of the old and are continued up till now in the age of Grace. Some of these are the Ten Commandments, the tithe, praying with Psalms, fasting by replacing the fast of old with the church’s fast and not eating food with blood. The Holy Apostles in the first council of the Church, presided by the Bishop of Jerusalem St James, understood this fact and kept what is prohibited to be applied to the new converters from the Gentiles.

Safaa,

Thank you kindly for your explanation.  I shall ponder on it further and if I have any more concerns, I'll direct them here.  Again, thank you.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5719.msg76481#msg76481 date=1189001101]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

If the Apostles at the first Council of Jerusalem set down a sort of 'Christian Kosher Law', then how do we reconcile that with what Christ says in Mark 7?

There really is no contradiction between the two. If you look at the food regulations in Acts and the Church canons, they are not concerned with abstaining from particular types of animals considered unclean and able to defile you (which was done away with at the coming of Christ).

For example, we are told to abstain from things offered unto idols (I've heard strangling animals was also a practice related to idolatry, hence also included). We are not defiled by the meat itself, going into our bodies, but by participating in the worship of false gods.