Excommunications

Is it me, or is excommunication among the clergy rampant?

There was Father Zakaria, Father Makary, Dr Bibawy (not a clergy member, but a theologian), Fr Yacoub in Australia to name a few. I find it disconcerting, because most have been accused of adopting Protestant thinking. What should I make of all this?

Comments

• [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5725.msg76438#msg76438 date=1188894633]

There was Father Zakaria, Father Makary, Dr Bibawy (not a clergy member, but a theologian), Fr Yacoub in Australia to name a few. I find it disconcerting, because most have been accused of adopting Protestant thinking. What should I make of all this?

Oh? They should come to England, all the youth go to protestant prayer meetings.

Hang on a sec!? Fr. Zak is excommunicated? lol!!!
    hahah..

ANyway, he's not protestant - is he? But , yes, he does have some "charismatic" tendencies. Perhaps that's why.

• [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5725.msg76438#msg76438 date=1188894633]

Just wondering, which Fr Yacoub was excommunicated? What church was he based in? Is it the Monk Abouna Yacoub who used to be Queensland that was excommunicated?

Thanks,

Matt
  • Father Zakaria wasn't excommunicated.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5725.msg76438#msg76438 date=1188894633]

What, haven't you heard?  It's the cool thing to do now.  But seriously, I don't think you should overly concern yourself with these matters.  Whether these individuals have, in fact, adopted Protestant thinking or not is not for us to say.  I'm sure the Holy Synod knows what it is doing when it comes to the excommunication of certain individuals, and I'm certain there is a valid reason for it.  That being said, you know what Orthodoxy is, and what it teaches.  Stick to it, and you cannot stray.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5725.msg76442#msg76442 date=1188908248]
    Father Zakaria wasn't excommunicated.

Good to know. Where is he? What happenend?

Why were the rest excommunicated? Namely:
    Fr Yakoub? (from AUS) what did he do??
    Fr. Makary ? What did he do?
    Mr Bibawy? What did he do wrong?

I know a deacon at my Church that prays in tongues; is his position safe in the Church?
  • How can speaking in tongues be forbidden? It is, I believe, the belief that it is the only indication of the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" as described by Hope Church and Pentecostals and other charismatics that is heretical. It is a gift of the Holy Spirit- how can we forbid it? But neither can we say it is a necessary gift.
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5725.msg76448#msg76448 date=1188914568]
    How can speaking in tongues be forbidden? It is, I believe, the belief that it is the only indication of the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" as described by Hope Church and Pentecostals and other charismatics that is heretical. It is a gift of the Holy Spirit- how can we forbid it? But neither can we say it is a necessary gift.

When i say "talking in tongues", im talking about "shalalallalalalalalal" stuff... is this from the Holy Spirit???

What do u think??

What vassilios is referring to is the phenomenon known as glossolalia.  The online Columbia Encyclopedia defines glossolalia as: ecstatic utterances usually of unintelligible sounds made by individuals in a state of religious excitement.  This is not what occurred in the book of Acts.  What happened in their case was they were granted the ability to speak another language that they had no knowledge of.  This gift, while probably still in existence, does not serve much of a purpose anymore.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5725.msg76451#msg76451 date=1188920786]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

What vassilios is referring to is the phenomenon known as glossolalia.  The online Columbia Encyclopedia defines glossolalia as: ecstatic utterances usually of unintelligible sounds made by individuals in a state of religious excitement.  This is not what occurred in the book of Acts.  What happened in their case was they were granted the ability to speak another language that they had no knowledge of.  This gift, while probably still in existence, does not serve much of a purpose anymore.

Why do u call it a gift for if it is not from the Holy Spirit??

I'm referring to the ability to speak another language without prior knowledge (as was the case with the Apostles) a gift of the Holy Spirit, not glossolalia.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5725.msg76454#msg76454 date=1188921613]

I'm referring to the ability to speak another language without prior knowledge (as was the case with the Apostles) a gift of the Holy Spirit, not glossolalia.

Dear Κηφᾶς,

It's a good job that doesn't include the ability to write utter gibberish in one's own language - not many of us would survive if it did! ;D

In Christ,

Anglian

Dear John,

Tell me about it.  How hard would it be to convince someone that 'a shaka laka laka loo' is, in fact, 'Lord Jesus have mercy on me a sinner'?  :D
  • Dear Κηφᾶς,

Oh, not so hard at all in some quarters - usually those where it is held that we can all find what we need in the Bible by the light of our own illumination. Once we have decided to create a God in our image, we can do most anything - in our own want of humility.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • I thought my sister was devoid of any grammatical sense- it was glossolalia! However, she writes for dyslexics- something I, unfortunately, have the misfortune of not being able to translate. Yet, her dyslexic friends seem to have a grasp of the same language, because in her blog they reply with a comment with language akin. Can someone shed light on this? :P

[quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5725.msg76443#msg76443 date=1188908533]

[quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5725.msg76438#msg76438 date=1188894633]

What, haven't you heard?  It's the cool thing to do now.

Too many of "The Apprentice" probably got their epinephrine seething, and eager to imitate Donald Trump. lol.

I think the problem here is the question of reliability of the clergy. It is quite inherent that we trust the validity of Orthodoxy in the homilies and practices of our clergy. And we know from history that even prominent theologians (like Origen) and Bishops (such as Arian) can be grossly mistaken. From what I understand the world seemed to be embracing and adopting Arian Christology- something that made St. Athanasius the Champion of Orthodoxy and earned him the epitaph Athanasius contra mundum.
  • Is it Father Makary Younan who was "excommunicated".

PLEASE somebody tell me QUICKLY.
    THANKS SOOOO MUCH

In Christ,
    abosefien
  • My friend at school claimed to have spoken in tongues. It seemed to be a scene out of a horror movie, well the way she described it anyway....

She said that she was kind of just blabbering stuff that neither she, or the others surrounding her understood. I asked her what the point of her saying things that she didn't understand was, and she said that it was like her heart speaking directly to God through the Holy Spirit, and that way, the demons wouldn't understand what she was saying.

hmm...  :-\
  • Clearly many holes can be poked in this story
    i.e. Satan is very sneaky and knows much, thus i'm pretty sure he'd understand (if the person was really speaking)
    and lets not forget
    in our church, such type of event occuring has never been documented
    thus, my personal opinion would be that this "state of trance" is not "heaven inspired but demon inspired"