Why a Nazarene?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I think the subject tells it all?

Where did the prophets say that the Messiah would be a Nazarene?

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I did a quick online search, and it seems the source for the prophecy that Christ would be a Nazarene comes from Isaiah.  Here is the prophecy and here are the fulfillments in the NT:

Isaiah 9:1-2 [1] Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the Gentiles, by the way of the sea, along the Jordan -- [2] The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.

Matthew 2:22-23
    [22] But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, [23] and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."

Matthew 4:13-16 [13] Leaving Nazareth, he [Jesus] went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali-- [14] to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah:  [15] "Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the way to the sea, along the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles -- [16] the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."

Other than that, I can't find any verse that remotely resembles the prophecy found in Matthew 2:23 (not even in the apocrypha).  That being said, it may have been found in another book which has been lost but was known to the 1st century Jews.
  • Dear Thomas,

Nazareth is a Hebrew word which means ROD or BRANCHThere is a prophecy about Our Lord Jesus Christ in chapter 11 of the book of Isaiah

1:"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
    2: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;"

Also in the book of Genesis chapter 49 , Jacob in his blessing of his son Joseph, a foreshadows of the Lord, mentioned the word branch in verse 22  “Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall”
  • [quote author=Safaa link=topic=5605.msg74852#msg74852 date=1185395580]
    Dear Thomas,

Nazareth is a Hebrew word which means ROD or BRANCHThere is a prophecy about Our Lord Jesus Christ in chapter 11 of the book of Isaiah

1:"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
    2: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;"

Also in the book of Genesis chapter 49 , Jacob in his blessing of his son Joseph, a foreshadows of the Lord, mentioned the word branch in verse 22  “Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall”

that's an interesting one.

Hey Safaa,

Thanks for sharing that.  I guess it shouldn't be surprising that there would be word-play involved like that, especially when it comes to prophecies. 
  • I'd just like to add this point:

If we look at Samson, he had to follow Nazaritic requirements,
    which meant he was Sworn to the Lord

See where I'm going with this? or am I just completely off base here lol

I think this is a common misunderstanding.  Christ was not a Nazarite, He was a Nazarene (from Nazareth).