Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, Aeropostale

edited October 2008 in Random Issues
  My question is why do people go there while they are soooo overly expensive? I personally can afford buying almost anything from there but i choose not too. In my Belief I'd rather buy almost the same shirt from Jcpenney or something for at least half the price, then give something to charity or the church etc..

So again, Why do we go there?? Why do we promote these stores?? Why do many people think that by going to these store it makes them "cool". And btw, by encouaging these stores, aren't we making low income people feel bad that they can't buy these types of clothing?

Comments

• [quote author=crazy4christ link=topic=5536.msg73958#msg73958 date=1183960934]
    I agree with in being moderate, but i think this doesnt have the confident and the trust in God that they wil be accepted by others so they chose to buy expensive brands so people would welcome them...

I disagree with the stores you mentioned because not all of them are expensive

The only one i'd say that's not too expensive is aeropostale, and ae can sometimes have moderate stuff, but usually no. Like my friend said He went to ae and the cheapest pair of shorts he could find was 30 dollars or about 15 Euros for the people on this site from the UK.
  • Dear PopeKyrillos,

[quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5536.msg73976#msg73976 date=1183996499]
    Like my friend said He went to ae and the cheapest pair of shorts he could find was 30 dollars or 60 Euros for the people on this site from the UK.

Well, if anyone followed Bart Simpson's advice about eating his shorts, that would be one expensive snack! :D

In Christ,

Anglian
  • people choose to dress from there, simpy because that's their style, and their decesion. Most of my friends REFUSE to wear anything but those brands, and I honestly don't care, it's not my problem that they would rather pay that much for their clothe, and knowing them, they wouldn't donate leftover money anyways, so it doens't matter. I personally, don't like to wear shirts promoting companies, there's nothing in say Hollister that doesn't have "Hollister " printed all over it. AE is the only exception, i have a lot of clothe from there.

hahaha, angilan :)
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5536.msg73988#msg73988 date=1184014898]
    Dear PopeKyrillos,

[quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5536.msg73976#msg73976 date=1183996499]
    Like my friend said He went to ae and the cheapest pair of shorts he could find was 30 dollars or 60 Euros for the people on this site from the UK.

Well, if anyone followed Bart Simpson's advice about eating his shorts, that would be one expensive snack! :D

In Christ,

Anglian

Expensive, dry, and nasty all in 1
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I'm not sure I see what the problem is.  Some people like to buy brand names and others don't.  It's up to the individual where they buy their clothes.  If someone wishes to spend $80 on a pair of jeans instead of paying $25 for an almost identical pair at another store, that is their business.  I'm not sure I see an issue here.
  • I really dnt know why u guyz are againest this but no one can tell you wat to wear and wat not to..for example, some ppl buy like a $500 purse just cuz they can afford that kinda stuff..we all agree these stores have their own style and some ppl just like that kinda style..the ppl who dont, u dont really have to like it just leave it for the other ppl to wear it!

GBU
    sandra
  • Maged or any other moderator, delete this topic. Nobody cares.
  • Pope Kyrillos,

when sandra, Κηφᾶς, anglian etc. say that its just there opinion and they afford it etc. they are just commenting... didn't you ask a question that is on your mind? well there here to answer it... there just saying what they think in there point of view...

• He wept, I guess I should have worded my question differently. The thing is, is when i go there (yes i do too) and buy something I feel that i shouldn't buy something that expensive even like I said before, I can afford buying half the store, because I just feel bad for the lower income families that can't afford it even if they wanted it. So my question is more does anybody feel the same?
  • A quote from St Basil often baffles me:

The bread you do not use is the bread of the hungry. The garment hanging in your wardrobe is the garment of the person who is naked. The shoes you do not wear are the shoes of the one who is barefoot. The money you keep locked away is the money of the poor. The acts of charity you do not perform are the injustices you commit.
  • PopeKyrillos, i was saying my personal opinion i hope i didn't get anyone mad by it..bas its not always images that matters cuz alot of clothes dnt have the brand name printed on it, maybe ppl just like the way it luks..

And wait a min..if someone can afford to buy that kinda stuff i think they can also afford to donate to the church extra money so you dnt feel bad for the lower class ppl that cant afoord it!

GBU
    sandra
  • i DEF feel the same way about the lower income ppl.
    It's partly why i choose not to wear brand names, or expensive ones anyways. But, what i have realized is: EVERYTHING makes lower income families feel bad....something simple that everyone has , they might not have, and the bottom point is no matter how much you try, as long as they don't have the money, it doesn't matter what you do , i've been on both sides and in betwweeen, so  i know firsthand .
  • Honestly, it's just retarded teenage fads.  Once you get older and spend your own money, it doesn't matter.  For me personally, I shop at those stores occasionally but lemme tell you, I don't shop like a maniac because for me, it's a matter of quality and price.  Teenagers just love spending, spending, spending for no reason...of course along with the arrogant adult world.  Don't think about it too much.  If that's your personal belief, then stick to it.  Clothes are just clothes.  Do whatever you think is right.  They all rip when you pull at them...kolo zay ba3do. 

But I really do feel bad when fi 3iyal siya3 mashiyeen in their 389987087 dollar outfits with labels fi kol 7ita like they own the world.  7aga tiksif.  Like I said, I shop at those stores occasionally, but personally, I don't like buying things with the brand name everywhere because I'm not a walking advertisement awalan, and if I like what I buy, it's not because of what's written on it.  I also refuse to torment people that can't afford that kinda stuff.  I mean, 7aram.  Also, it's obviously not about what's on the outside and sometimes I think people are faaaaaaaaar too distracted with their outer appearance to even let others respect them for who they are rather than what brand they wear. 

But like I always tell my friends, I hate clothes yo.  [shoes are most definitely an exception, lolol]
  • ra2yek fel goal 3alatoul ya ServantOfJesus!! manty 3arfah el masal eyah dah... ely ma3ah 2ersh ma7ayaroh yegeeb.... kamely enty ba2a! t-shirt hina zay hinak zay hinahoh... el ekhtelaf el wa7eed eny wa7ed 7at esmoh wel tany kasell ma7atesh. hayefre2 eh ya3ny Abercrombie min el 7ag bor3i awo folan awo 3elan. yasheikha... deh 7aga ten2et ya binty. 

fibo
  • guys n gals, u have now enterted the labelling zone......isnt it haram to label ppl as the "lower income families"??? yeah i think so...you cant judge a person or how weathly they are just by their clothes.........
    secondly.......ppl dont need ur SYMPATHY!!!...but learn to empathise instead
    lastly...plz dont use the term "retarded" soo loosely.....

FA!!
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5536.msg73954#msg73954 date=1183959381]

My question is why do people go there while they are soooo overly expensive? I personally can afford buying almost anything from there but i choose not too. In my Belief I'd rather buy almost the same shirt from Jcpenney or something for at least half the price, then give something to charity or the church etc..

So again, Why do we go there?? Why do we promote these stores?? Why do many people think that by going to these store it makes them "cool". And btw, by encouaging these stores, aren't we making low income people feel bad that they can't buy these types of clothing?

I have never heard of these things.

Perhaps in the States, people are so materialistic. Do you wish to come to paris instead. Here, it is very much frowned upon the "exhibition of wealth". Showing off your wealth is a sign of poor class.

• [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5536.msg74086#msg74086 date=1184159031]
    guys n gals, u have now enterted the labelling zone......isnt it haram to label ppl as the "lower income families"??? yeah i think so...you cant judge a person or how weathly they are just by their clothes.........

FA!!

No, no one ensured that people who don't wear expensive clothes are poor.  So there is no judgment--just an understanding of the possibilities.  Aye?  Empathy and sympathy are interchangeable terms differing only in that empathy is when one has gone through a certain experience so now he EMPATHIZES with others who do.  Sympathy is the mere attempt of understanding that situation without going through it yourself.  I can honestly say that I empathize because I'm not a wealthy being nor do I desire to be, but there are worse off than me, so I sympathize with that which is out of my grasp to comprehend fully.  I happen to belong to a "lower income" family in comparison with others and I don't find it at all a matter of judgment to state that which is true--why should the state of my wealth be "7aram" if only the state of my soul is that which should matter?  And I apologize if my use of "retarded" offended you.  God bless.

P.S.  QT, the manners of your country are truer than true.  Exhibition of wealth is, in fact, vulgar.
  • actually servantoJesus, ur wrong in regards to ur empthay and sympathy definitions lol
    sorry to be piky but its been drilled into my head at work and uni........

empathy is attempting to put urself in sumone else's shoes...you dont neccessarily have to have had experienced but the thing is we cant always fit in sumone else's shoes...our experiences differ......so its more important to be non-judgemntal and listen.......

sympathy is like...oh u poor thing thats terrible...so all ur doing is helping them drown in their sorrows...uhh if ur doing counselling or any related community service study ull know wat i mean

retarded didnt offend me but it is a mental condition and ppl often use it as a insult and it greatly annoys me.....not that i am but using my empathy skills id imagine itd be quite offending and difficult ppl using ur condition as a insult

Just so we are all on the same page here:

Empathy (from the Greek εμπάθεια, "to make suffer") is commonly defined as one's ability to recognize, perceive and directly feel the emotion of another. As the states of mind, beliefs, and desires of others are intertwined with their emotions, one with empathy for another may often be able to more effectively define another's mode of thought and mood. Empathy is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes", or experiencing the outlook or emotions of another being within oneself, a sort of emotional resonance.

Sympathy is an emotional affinity in which whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other. Sympathy comes from the Latin sympatha, from Greek: συμπάθεια transliterated as sympatheia, from συν + πάσχω = συμπάσχω literally: to suffer together also: affected by like feelings or emotion. Thus the essence of sympathy is that a person's feelings reflect or are like those of another or that a person suffers as a response to, or because of, another person's suffering. Not to be confused with empathy (literally the recognition but not sharing of others' suffering) nor with pity.

Pity is an emotion that almost always results from an encounter with a real or perceived unfortunate, injured, or pathetic creature. A person experiencing pity will experience a combination of intense sorrow and mercy for the person or creature, often giving the pitied some kind of aid, physical help, and/or financial assistance. Although pity may be confused with compassion, empathy or sympathy, pity is different from any of these.

In regards to humans, pity may be felt towards the homeless, orphans, people with disabilities, those with terminal illness, and especially victims of rape and torture, by non-sufferers of these and similar things. Because pity will often result in the pitier aiding the pitied, some people equate pity with sympathy and assume, therefore, that pity is naturally a positive thing. However, the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche believed that pity causes an otherwise normal person to feel his or her own suffering in an inappropriately intense, alienated way. "Pity makes suffering contagious," he says in The Antichrist, meaning that it is important for the pitier not to allow him/herself to feel superior to the pitied, lest such a power imbalance result in the pitied retaliating against the help being offered.

NB: All these definitions were taken from Wikipedia.

ServantoJesus,

It seems you've just mixed up the two definitions with the two words.

Kerestina,

Your definition for sympathy is actually that of pity.
  • dont get smart woman...coz i aint laughing...............

and koko wikki doesnt all always define terms in context.......

you may all return to ur discussion about how u feel sorry for low income families  :-\

While Wikipedia may not always be an authority on certain matters (well, it rarely is), I fail to see how the definitions I have provided are somehow lacking.  It doesn't really matter, I guess, but it is always good to have a baseline of what words mean so that we can at least have similar footing when engaging in dialogue with one another.
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5536.msg74194#msg74194 date=1184288851]
    dont get smart woman...coz i aint laughing...............

and koko wikki doesnt all always define terms in context.......

you may all return to ur discussion about how u feel sorry for low income families  :-\

Wow...just wow.  Okay. 

And I didn't get "smart".  If stating the facts is getting "smart", then very well, I'm not concerned with your opinion.  You also do not have to laugh, but I am because I'm not emotionally wounded by a mere debate--again, not concerned.  If you are otherwise in conflict with this discussion, then do not get involved--it's quite simple.  I don't see why you judge an honest teenage concern with "oh, you feel sorry for them."  Not to be rude or anything, but what do you know of ANYONE on this forum past what they post?  Honestly, refrain from judging on a church forum, for God's sake.
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5536.msg74086#msg74086 date=1184159031]
    guys n gals, u have now enterted the labelling zone......isnt it haram to label ppl as the "lower income families"??? yeah i think so...you cant judge a person or how weathly they are just by their clothes.........

FA!!

Kerestina, we never labeled anybody as low income families. It's Just a fact of life that they exist and may god be with them and help them. As far as when you said you can't judge a person or how wealthy they are just by their clothes, I didn't mean it that way. What I was trying to say is that I felt bad buying expensive stuff, and forgetting the poor people that have nothing to wear, and like some other people said on this topic that some people have enough to buy 4 themselves and help the poor. What I was talking about is middle class who just have enough 4 themselves. So idk i'm kinda confused myself.
  • [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=topic=5536.msg74062#msg74062 date=1184119898]
    Honestly, it's just retarded teenage fads.  Once you get older and spend your own money, it doesn't matter.  For me personally, I shop at those stores occasionally but lemme tell you, I don't shop like a maniac because for me, it's a matter of quality and price.  Teenagers just love spending, spending, spending for no reason...of course along with the arrogant adult world.  Don't think about it too much.  If that's your personal belief, then stick to it.  Clothes are just clothes.  Do whatever you think is right.  They all rip when you pull at them...kolo zay ba3do. 

But I really do feel bad when fi 3iyal siya3 mashiyeen in their 389987087 dollar outfits with labels fi kol 7ita like they own the world.  7aga tiksif.  Like I said, I shop at those stores occasionally, but personally, I don't like buying things with the brand name everywhere because I'm not a walking advertisement awalan, and if I like what I buy, it's not because of what's written on it.  I also refuse to torment people that can't afford that kinda stuff.  I mean, 7aram.  Also, it's obviously not about what's on the outside and sometimes I think people are faaaaaaaaar too distracted with their outer appearance to even let others respect them for who they are rather than what brand they wear. 

But like I always tell my friends, I hate clothes yo.  [shoes are most definitely an exception, lolol]

This is EXACTLY what i was trying to say. Allah yi nawar aleiki! And like what he/she said above "I also refuse to torment people who can't afford that kind of stuff." When I started this topic, one of the things I tried to say was when wearing name brand clothes with little eagles and moose on them, everybody knows where I got them, and If it's a poor person, they'll feel bad because they probably couldn't afford it. And I'm almost sure someone's going to say stop making fun of poor people but really, I feel bad for them. So that's why in the first post I said why do we encourage these stores? Aren't we making poor people feel bad? I can Understand Macys and Christopher and Banks cuz like some people are doctors and they need to look professional. But as teens, why do we need this stuff?
  • When I was at school, kids used to make fun of anyone wearing anything without a brand name. hahahah.. looking back, i laugh a lot thinking about that; but at the time, i realise how serious they were, and how much pressure they put on other children to wear designer clothes. I did it so i wouldnt be mocked (really mocked!). hhahaha.

These kids that were "making fun" of other kids, actually, when I see them, they all used to live in small council flats. Hhahahaha... I mean, they were poor!! I think what happens is this: If u have NO money, then you tend to show off more the small things that you do have. If you have a lot of money, you're not really bothered about proving anything; and are more humble.

Kids that wear designer clothes a lot, and show off about it, have something to prove. They WANT you to notice them. Its a bit like graffiti. When I see graffiti: what is written?? Someone's name.
    Their name!!

HAHAHA

But i feel that the person who wrote their name on someone else's property must have a low self esteem of himself actually because he's obviously trying to show that his name is big. Its as if his personal greatness or glory is a function of the print-size of his graffiti. Its all about image; and if you look deeper, you'll see its a fear of being rejected or being a nobody... and dressing in designer clothes and showing off about it, has a lot to do with that.

• [quote author=ServantOfJesus link=topic=5536.msg74200#msg74200 date=1184298030]
    Wow...just wow.  Okay. 

And I didn't get "smart".  If stating the facts is getting "smart", then very well, I'm not concerned with your opinion.  You also do not have to laugh, but I am because I'm not emotionally wounded by a mere debate--again, not concerned.  If you are otherwise in conflict with this discussion, then do not get involved--it's quite simple.  I don't see why you judge an honest teenage concern with "oh, you feel sorry for them."  Not to be rude or anything, but what do you know of ANYONE on this forum past what they post?  Honestly, refrain from judging on a church forum, for God's sake.

hahahahaha now im laughing...good work ;)........listen woman....im onli playin....so chillax...:)
    stress less darl, i wasnt intentionally trying to judge anyone.........how did i judge a teengage concern?? lol no matter.....
    for God's sake? lol can i smell blasephmy.......
    i dont know anyone on this forum or their past jus like you nor does anyone else knows who i am or where im from........but terms like sympathy and empathy and crucial wen working with people in general.........
    unfortunately there is a significant number of people below the poverty line , more than 5 million people receive support payments...so that proves that we need to support our welfare systems and screw money making politicians lol....stop voting liberal australia arggggghhhh :(

anyways darlll.....plz forgive if i offended aye...
    take care n God bless....:)
  • Good to hear  :D

Words don't matter so much--WWJD as always, lol.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5536.msg73954#msg73954 date=1183959381]

Sorry for not being aware of this thread before, since its a major topic in discussion concerning the youth of today.  I guess the reasons why some people would like to go buy their clothes from there is because 1) at my school, the people there dress from those places to become..'POPULAR' 2) their clothes might be really confy, and cute and such 3) people seem to go there for others to say..wow they must've a really nice and expensive home (maybe).  I buy my stuff from JCPenney too, Kohl's, Macy's and Herberger's, some of them are expensive, but the people that buy from there, I guess just want to look nice (my opinion), others that buy from those stores that you mentioned, just buy their stuff to become popular, I like their clothes, but never bought anything from there!

[quote author=kerestina link=topic=5536.msg74086#msg74086 date=1184159031]

FA!!

I really don't like the term 'label' because it seems like you are basically comparing humans to produce (that's in my opinion of course).  You said that you can't judge a person on how weathly they are just by their clothes, even though we do it anyway, if I'm not mistakened, I'm sorry for stereotyping, but really we all are hypocrites, people might say don't judge a person by their cover or their wealth or their house even, but we still do it no matter what.  People don't need our sympathy, you are right..but we still do it anyway just to comfort people..if you are saying what I think you are trying to say that is.  In our society today, especially in america, we tend to always see right through people's image, usually the lower classes.. upper classes (if you haven't noticed already, I'm stereotyping, sorry for that though) love to show they are upper classes, not all of them though, to continue on saying in conclusion that, I personally like their clothes just like 2 of the stores you have mentioned PopeKyrillos, which are Hollister and American Eagle, I'm not a huge fan, I don't even buy my clothes from there, but their clothes are still nice and confy as I mentioned before.

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • i believe that rather than asking questions about why people buy expensive clothing, we should talk about something more spiritual.
    honestly, i know people that only wear that sort of clothing and are better than a lot of other people out there, i also know people that wear normal clothing and think they are the hottest thing that walked this earth.
    point is as long as the clothing is appropriate and not revealing, its all good.  i personally find that those clothing last me longer and fit better on me than other types.  but don't get the wrong picture, i do agree with you that sometimes (actaully a lot of times) they rip you off...but that's life.  if i find something from jcpenny that fits good, i'll buy it.
    but i want to make sure that nobuddy here judjes anyone cause of their clothing styles.  because then we could go to the whole "Fubu and southpole and ecko..." and say how everyone that wears it is a gangster and a sinner and does drugs...
    all these clothing styles are phases, i went through the "gangsta" phase and now i cleaned up my act and am wearing respectible clothing (whatever fits best on me).

so lets just end this question now, and bring back "spirituality" to these discussions, and not earthly things like fashion and junk....
  • ohh, one more thing,
    pay attention to those "low income people" and you will see that most of them wear fancy clothing. (atleast where i am from)
    has anyone else noticed that???

okay for real, end of disscusion.

Period! :-X

why r u still reading this?    ???

you better not write anything!!    >:(

shouldn't u be sleeping or something? 

haha, okay seriously.    ;D  :D