Is it wrong to memorise something you do not understand and put it in a test?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
example a flowchart?

because you don't really understand so you might pass undeservedly ..right?

Comments

• hmm mike for jesus

intriguing question. well let me tell you, study is about the effort, god will reward you due to effort and not how much you understood.

let me clarify.

study has no defined term.

whether it be to memorise, understand, recite or picture...you put the effort in, thus when you arrive at examination time, and will be asked certain questions, you answer acordingly.

NOW, whether you memorised understood of read through, will accordinly show through your results.

there is NOTHING that you can simply memorise and get full marks on without understanding it that needs to further your knowledge on the things that u have learnt in uni( do i make sense?)

therefore, if u memorise, putting in the effort to memorise, in questions that require reciting, you will atain the deserved marks however with questions that require knowledge, where you may have insufficent amount of, your marks will also show accordinly

THUS

NO, you will obviously not pass undservingly.
  • [quote author=why link=topic=5173.msg69331#msg69331 date=1175691320]
    NO, you will obviously not pass undservingly.

plz explain
  • what im trying to say is that if u dont understand it you simply wont pass and if u understand it u will pass (this is with exams that require more than just memorised knowledge)

therefore if u happened to have passed, then u must of understood therefore u did pass deservigly..

make sense now?
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5173.msg69330#msg69330 date=1175690783]
    example a flowchart?

well you can't give this question an exact answer.
    if u don't understand somthing, learn about it and try to understand. ask for help, read books, do what ever to learn it. and than from there ull learn it and wont need that much memorizing to do.

but if you don't understand it, and there is no way to understand it, thatn memorizing the answer is the thing to do.

it's not wrong. you do your best and that's what you'll get back.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I don't wish to sound harsh here, but I honestly can't believe this is a sincere and legitimate question/concern to begin with.  Some of the questions I've seen raised seem almost infantile.  I'm just curious, are these actual concerns you have or are you just randomly asking questions?
  • actual concern

pray for me
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Okay, fair enough.  This begs the following question:  Why does someone who is in university (I'm assuming of course, based on your previous posts) have concerns like these? 

Please pray for me.
  • hmmmmmm well if u ask me i dont think its that easy to memorise something if u dont understand it - its almost impossible

and just do all u can to pass the exam - u know exams arent the best way to test ppl but if unis choose to do it that way then u aint doin nothing wrong - ur just using a trick to pass the exam

so ........... so long as u dont cheat then u aint doin anything wrong!!! play by their rules!

kristina123
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5173.msg69361#msg69361 date=1175771668]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Okay, fair enough.  This begs the following question:  Why does someone who is in university (I'm assuming of course, based on your previous posts) have concerns like these? 

Please pray for me.

does this really matter..mikeforjesus asked a legitimate question to which he hs concern, posted under the right category, whether to which other people have the same concern is irrelevant.
    sorry for taking this on you, but we have previously had disputes due to the Mikeforjesus's posts concluding that he has every right to ask such questions as longas he will benefit

:) goodnight
    +WHy+ (happy good friday)
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

While I know you mean well, I do feel my concern is a legitimate one.  I will wait to hear back from Mike before I go any further in this matter.  In the mean time, would you kindly point me to the thread in which this had been discussed before.  I have only recently become active on this site, so I most certainly must have missed it.  Thanks.
  • to tell u the truth guys i kind of do what mike does all of the time. i understand it but i just memorize it for that  test, i agree what the thing that says as long as u r not cheatring then u r doing mothing wrong /c u r not!!!

[p.s.,who likes to sudy?]

egy
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5173.msg69330#msg69330 date=1175690783]
    example a flowchart?

No its not wrong. If they ask u in an exam to draw a flow chart - let's say for example Kreb's Cycle (its like a flow chart), and let's say u didnt really understand it, but u memorised the cycle, then that's not wrong if there was a question that said :"draw the Kreb's cycle".

Pyruvic Acid
    Acetic Acid
    alpha-ketoglutaric acid,
    Succinic Acid,
    Malic Acid
    Oxo-alocetic acid

Something like that... i did that SOOOOOOO many years ago... lol...
    I've never seen or touched any of the above acids, but i know that somewhere these acids are generated in a body. If the question asked a more in-depth question such as "explain the relationship between succinic acid and other organic cycles" for example, and you couldn't , then OK, you can lose points for that: which is totally fair, you are saying to the examiner : I've memorised this cycle, but my understanding of it is VERY limited!! So, you get the points for the effort of understanding a cycle, but lose some points for not understanding all of it.

By the way, im nothing in biochem. This is not my field.. if i typed anything wrong, i'm sorry... its just an example...
  • Kerestina123,

Actually, you are mistaken there. Memorising is not about understanding. Im not a biochemist, and I still remember the kreb's cycle. How? Our teacher at school taught us good memory techniques. Absolutely brilliant. He taught us how to memorise. I was so amazed. U can memorise phone numbers, dates, history, bible passages etc... the way of doing it is simple. I'll explain to those who are interested.

[quote author=Kristina123 link=topic=5173.msg69365#msg69365 date=1175772824]
    hmmmmmm well if u ask me i dont think its that easy to memorise something if u dont understand it - its almost impossible

and just do all u can to pass the exam - u know exams arent the best way to test ppl but if unis choose to do it that way then u aint doin nothing wrong - ur just using a trick to pass the exam

so ........... so long as u dont cheat then u aint doin anything wrong!!! play by their rules!

kristina123
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5173.msg69354#msg69354 date=1175718687]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I don't wish to sound harsh here, but I honestly can't believe this is a sincere and legitimate question/concern to begin with.  Some of the questions I've seen raised seem almost infantile.  I'm just curious, are these actual concerns you have or are you just randomly asking questions?

Knfoc, we should be thankful my friend, - Some one on here once asked if it was a sin to cross the road where there was no zebra crossing. lol... 

The worst part was that he had around 500 hits on his topic. LOL
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5173.msg71179#msg71179 date=1179674949]
    Kerestina123,

Actually, you are mistaken there. Memorising is not about understanding. Im not a biochemist, and I still remember the kreb's cycle. How? Our teacher at school taught us good memory techniques. Absolutely brilliant. He taught us how to memorise. I was so amazed. U can memorise phone numbers, dates, history, bible passages etc... the way of doing it is simple. I'll explain to those who are interested.

hmmmmmm well if u ask me i dont think its that easy to memorise something if u dont understand it - its almost impossible

kristina123

i dont know why you persist in replying to kristina123 using my name considering my minimal input into this thread so its either, u love my name so much u cant get it out of ur head or ur trying to be funni............either way ur freaky and tha joke aint funni
  • hmmmmmmmmmm yes indeed!!! it is Kristina123 for clarification so Vasselieous please refrain from using Kerestina123.

i too did biochemistry and the kreb cycle is one u must understand there are reverse reactions, by products etc and is not straight forward

i still believe my theory is correct

anyways - why on earth reply to this thread months later? and then u ridicule other threads that are useless and have recieved 500 hits? well let me tell u - u cant complain/criticise when u are one of the contributors!!!! almost hypocritical if u ask me!

kristina123
  • Actually, i wasn't critcsing the thread at all... I was just saying that someone had a thread on whether they should cross the street at a red light, and that did in fact receive a lot of hits.

I think its an obvious mistake to write kerestina123 adn Kristina123 ? No?

Oh big big Kerestina ! Please open your big heart and find some forgiveness??

[quote author=kerestina link=topic=5173.msg71207#msg71207 date=1179751544]
    [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5173.msg71179#msg71179 date=1179674949]
    Kerestina123,

kristina123

i dont know why you persist in replying to kristina123 using my name considering my minimal input into this thread so its either, u love my name so much u cant get it out of ur head or ur trying to be funni............either way ur freaky and tha joke aint funni
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5173.msg71179#msg71179 date=1179674949]
    Kerestina123,

kristina123

I'm really interested. How do you memorize? It would help me alot on tests...and im sure it would help other students as well.
  • i think the whole point of teste, is to see how much u memorized...

i mean i think it is better to learn it then u know it for the rest of ur life but....i think only 50% of us do this

so,...it is not wrong to memoruize somthing and pitit on a test

hope i helped

pp4m

EgY
  • I've received a lot of messages from people who wish to learn good memory techniques.

Its very simple. For example, i wrote that kreb's cycle in 2 seconds. No thinking involved.

U wanna go into the exam feeling confident, fresh and be 1000% sure u havent forgotten anything, and what u've remembered is all there is to know, and nothing else is missing.

How do u do it?

Using association. Its all based on association : images. But i'll have to sit down and show u. I can't explain on this forum.

[quote author=marmara327 link=topic=5173.msg71221#msg71221 date=1179787399]
    [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5173.msg71179#msg71179 date=1179674949]
    Kerestina123,

kristina123

I'm really interested. How do you memorize? It would help me alot on tests...and im sure it would help other students as well.
  • [quote author=marmara327 link=topic=5173.msg71221#msg71221 date=1179787399]

another method for memorising is writing a poem or song about your topic for example say you had to learn four language techniques for english you have Simile, Onomatopeia, Connotation, Metaphor. ok so you then use the first letter of each word so SMOC, you can learn it like that or make it more poetic
    we all have our inidividual techniques for memorising things.
    and one MUST have some understanding to some degree of what their memorising. if you understand it you can memorise it better.
    your right egy and it has been proven exams are not a test of intelligence but of memory, multiple choice is seen to be the only exam to test ones knowledge
  • Well done Kerestina,
    You've got the hang of it!! Now, u just have to build on that... there's other stuff also you can do.. not everything works in a poem.. but yes, the principal is the same as we can remember poems or songs, but factual information is hard. So what's the answer? to associate this abstract factual information with a poem.

The technique I was taught at school was not this, but we do is more efficient for studying for exams; but it will be based on the same principals as the above example.
    [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5173.msg71273#msg71273 date=1179876970]
    [quote author=marmara327 link=topic=5173.msg71221#msg71221 date=1179787399]

another method for memorising is writing a poem or song about your topic for example say you had to learn four language techniques for english you have Simile, Onomatopeia, Connotation, Metaphor. ok so you then use the first letter of each word so SMOC, you can learn it like that or make it more poetic
    we all have our inidividual techniques for memorising things.
    and one MUST have some understanding to some degree of what their memorising. if you understand it you can memorise it better.
    your right egy and it has been proven exams are not a test of intelligence but of memory, multiple choice is seen to be the only exam to test ones knowledge
  • i dont think its a sin.  butwatver helps u study, u do.  also, u do wat u can and god will do the rest.  itz also a good idea to understand.  becuz lets juss say u memorized the words exactlyt rite.  but then, u forgot it.  if u understand u could change the words around and stil get some credit.  get mi point. 
  • Hey Mike...when I read the question I laughed quite hard. Why, not because it was silly question, but the fact that everyone I know would be guilty!

I remember my high school exams were I memorised 4 essays for one exam, each about 1200 words at least. I did quite well in the exam.

I don't believe it is a sin mate. I think though you will be caught out if you do this though. You need to know how to apply it- but I don't believe it is cheating if you try to apply it errorneously.

If you know how to use it in a test, you obviously have some idea of what it is about. Trust me, teachers are experienced in how to divide those who do the effort or not. They can see if by applying something whether if you understand or not. The design of the exam is to give seperation, and those who put at least some rudimentary effort such as you suggest memorising something you don't understand, they will give partial credit. So leave it to them. Just don't write stuff on your arm etc.

That's what I think mate.

God bless you. You obviously have a conscience if your asking about this stuff. Talk with your FOC.