ORIGEN

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I have heard alot about this man, praising his greatness and his ideas, but then again I also heard about his banishment by Pope Demetrious, the Vine Dresser. I read the articles written about this man, but does anyone know exactly how the Coptic Church views this man, like are his works accepted or not, etc.?

thank you

Comments

• The Coptic Church does not consider Origen a saint but a 'great teacher'. He was not restored into the Coptic Church because of some of his teachings concerning the pre-existence and fall of souls and the eventual restoration of all souls including Satan to a state of dynamic perfection in proximity to the Godhead.
  • yes origeon was a great leader in our church until the last stages of his life where what he preached was starting to quiver from the true beliefs and thus excommunicated
  • hm.. interesing..
  • also there is many writting of his that are approved by our church and that are written by Fr. Tadros in a book for us to use. he was a great scholor in the bible studies. they say that any bible explaination that is said now, some how would go back to one of his explainations. also he translated the bible in atleast 5 languages.
  • [center]i`m really love origan so much
    he was a genius [/center]

he was the frist christian teacher to use the explantion by symples
  • I suspect you'll find that it was some interpretations of some of Origen's thinking that got some folk worried.

Origen liked to throw out ideas without being dogmatic - something that always worries those whose dogmatism exceeds their stock of ideas. Origen was one of the most gifted of Christian thinkers, and we can all benefit from his work.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • I've heard of an argument, or a falling out, between him and Pope Dioscorous. What's that about?
  • From what I heard the conflict is
    that Origen who castrated himself...went to preach out of Egypt and
    was ordained a priest by the people there...without the permission of
    Pope Dioscouros.  The Pope objected to this, and thus had to excommunicate
    him, because he was ordained a priest without permission and be cause he was
    castrated.
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5244.msg71078#msg71078 date=1179504841]
    From what I heard the conflict is
    that Origen who castrated himself...went to preach out of Egypt and
    was ordained a priest by the people there...without the permission of
    Pope Dioscouros.  The Pope objected to this, and thus had to excommunicate
    him, because he was ordained a priest without permission and be cause he was
    castrated.

First Origen is not considered a saint in our church. Now what happend with Pope Dioscoros is that Origen started saying wrong things about the faith. so the Pope Dioscoros warned him of that. than i think Origen went to Rome or may be another place, and than came back to Jerusalem. now the pope of the see of Jerusalem ordained hima praist. So pope Dioscoros i think had a counsil about this. Than Pope Dioscoros said to Origen since your ordained in Jerusalem, you stay in Jerusalem. So the pope wasn't really harsh on him for some reason even though he was a veru strict Pope.