Arab text of Gospel of John in Latin alphabet

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
I'm a Roman Catholic, who is really into gregorian, but also likes other ways of recitation. One of them is the Arabic recitation - but until now I'ld never heard anything but Quran verses. So I was really delighted to discover the Gospel of John recited in Arabic on this website! However, since I don't know Arabic (and can't read it), it would be nice to have the text in the Latin (English) alphabet. Does anyone know if it exist and if so: where to find it? Thanks, and God bless.

Comments

• Hi wateengedoe2,

I find your name really funny, and i'm probably one of few people on this site that knows what it means. Ik neem aan dat je uit Nederland komt ;)

As for your question, I don't know about any arabic gospels written in latin alphabet, so I can't help you with that.

Perhaps some members on this site can find time to type a part for you!
  • [quote author=wateengedoe2 link=topic=5206.msg69769#msg69769 date=1176581615]
    I'm a Roman Catholic, who is really into gregorian, but also likes other ways of recitation. One of them is the Arabic recitation - but until now I'ld never heard anything but Quran verses. So I was really delighted to discover the Gospel of John recited in Arabic on this website! However, since I don't know Arabic (and can't read it), it would be nice to have the text in the Latin (English) alphabet. Does anyone know if it exist and if so: where to find it? Thanks, and God bless.

well am sure they have it there some where. also u put the word '(English)' there. if ur tring to find the english, when you play the gospel in the link above, u'll c the translation in arabic and english next to it.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5206.msg69780#msg69780 date=1176594524]
    well am sure they have it there some where. also u put the word '(English)' there. if ur tring to find the english, when you play the gospel in the link above, u'll c the translation in arabic and english next to it.

This is only the translation and the Arabic text (in Arabic alphabet, which I cannot read). What I'm looking for is the transscription, e.g. "Fi albad kana al Kalimat wa al Kalimat kana 3inda Allah wakana Kalimat huwa Allah" (Joh 1:1).

[quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5206.msg69772#msg69772 date=1176588240]
    Hi wateengedoe2,

I find your name really funny, and i'm probably one of few people on this site that knows what it means. Ik neem aan dat je uit Nederland komt ;)
    LOL, indeed ;) Look in Google and you'll find loads of posts by me. Perhaps something interesting for you too (a.o. on a christian youth forum called credible)?
  • [quote author=wateengedoe2 link=topic=5206.msg69792#msg69792 date=1176614839]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5206.msg69780#msg69780 date=1176594524]

This is only the translation and the Arabic text (in Arabic alphabet, which I cannot read). What I'm looking for is the transscription, e.g. "Fi albad kana al Kalimat wa al Kalimat kana 3inda Allah wakana Kalimat huwa Allah" (Joh 1:1).

oh wow, u wont find that. i don't think any one would do that
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5206.msg69795#msg69795 date=1176615226]
    [quote author=wateengedoe2 link=topic=5206.msg69792#msg69792 date=1176614839]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5206.msg69780#msg69780 date=1176594524]

oh wow, u wont find that. i don't think any one would do that

OK, I see. Well, for the Quran it's very easy to find, but of course many more people are involved there. Most people wanting to listen to the Arabic version of the Bible can read Arabic and won't need such a transliteration anyway.

By the way, I listened to a few chapters while reading the text in Dutch and I found it quite easy to keep track of the verses. I know a few words of Arabic (like Allah, kalimat, nur etc., the counting words - yeah I did my shopping on the bazaar in Cairo last year mainly in Arabic :D - and of course I can recognize names) and that's enough to be able to do so (and I even learnt some more words while listening ;))
  • One other question: at the end of each chapter (recited by one man), several persons chant something. What does it mean?
  • [quote author=wateengedoe2 link=topic=5206.msg70033#msg70033 date=1176913744]
    One other question: at the end of each chapter (recited by one man), several persons chant something. What does it mean?

Glory be to God forever. like the normal ending of the gospel reading in the liturgical services.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5206.msg70036#msg70036 date=1176914083]Glory be to God forever. like the normal ending of the gospel reading in the liturgical services.

Ah, thanks, I figured something like that, but I couldn't understand one bit of it ;) Could you give a transcription of it, please?
  • [quote author=wateengedoe2 link=topic=5206.msg70042#msg70042 date=1176921527]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5206.msg70036#msg70036 date=1176914083]Glory be to God forever. like the normal ending of the gospel reading in the liturgical services.

Ah, thanks, I figured something like that, but I couldn't understand one bit of it ;) Could you give a transcription of it, please?

do you mean:
    "Wal-mado lel-lahee da-eman."

i think that's how the say it.
  • do you mean:

just one minor correction it should be "magdo" instead of "mado"

magd means glory
    lel lah means to God
    da-eman means forever
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5206.msg70049#msg70049 date=1176934711]

do you mean:

magd means glory
    lel lah means to God
    da-eman means forever

well tha wa typo, didn't men it, sorry
  • Hi Wateengedoe2,

Perhaps you can try learning the letters here

http://lexicorient.com/babel/arabic/01.htm

This next site has a transliteration chart that could be useful

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/arabic.htm
  • Shukran, Minagir and Hos Erof!

[quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5206.msg70049#msg70049 date=1176934711]

do you mean:

magd means glory
    lel lah means to God
    da-eman means forever

The 'lel lah' part I had understood, the rest is new for me. Learning every day :)
  • [quote author=EpNomos EnTaio link=topic=5206.msg70065#msg70065 date=1176969675]
    Hi Wateengedoe2,

Perhaps you can try learning the letters here

http://lexicorient.com/babel/arabic/01.htm
    Actually, I tried to learn (read, speak) Hebrew, and found that alphabet already extremely difficult, never became fluent in reading and now forgot most of it again (while the words themselves 'stick' quite well in my memory). The Arabic alphabet is certainly not easier, probably even more difficult. I don't think it would work for me (although I found learning to speak some words of Arabic, on holiday in Egypt, to be quite easy and could also learn to read the numbers quickly over there). I think I'll stick to transcriptions ;) The only word that I recognize in written Arabic, is Allah :)
  • [quote author=wateengedoe2 link=topic=5206.msg70150#msg70150 date=1177091115]

Actually, I tried to learn (read, speak) Hebrew, and found that alphabet already extremely difficult, never became fluent in reading and now forgot most of it again (while the words themselves 'stick' quite well in my memory). The Arabic alphabet is certainly not easier, probably even more difficult. I don't think it would work for me (although I found learning to speak some words of Arabic, on holiday in Egypt, to be quite easy and could also learn to read the numbers quickly over there). I think I'll stick to transcriptions ;) The only word that I recognize in written Arabic, is Allah :)

why would you try to learn hebrew?!
  • can u post the link for the credible video on google pleasee i would like to see that.
    Thank You
    Your brother in Christ

GBU

p4m