What do you say/pray when you go around the alter with ABouna?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

Do you know when all the deacons are singing Hiten Ni-epresvia? The priest takes the incensor and goes around the alter 6 times.

The deacon stands opposite him and goes around 6 times with the priest, whilst carrying the cross.

Why do they do that for? Why can't they just stand still?

What is the deacon meant to be praying? I had to do that once, and i didnt know what to pray, it wasn't written in the book, so i was just praying for someone else i knew.

Is that dishonest? If i was meant to pray for the protection of the Church, and the Church gets broken into by theives, and i never prayed for the protection of the Church because i was praying for the protection of someone else, is that dishonest?

Iqbal, this fasting period has really exercised my spiritual muscles; as you said: Now i can't walk out of my bedroom without being concerned what sins i'm bound to commit.

Comments

• hey vassilios,
    ok well there are a few details and symbols representing everything that is done.

first of all the priest and the deacon go around the alter three times, the priest inaudibly prays the Three shprt litanies for the peace, the fathers, and the congregations.

Before Moving( the priest is facing the alter and the deacon is opposite him facing the ppl) the priest prays:
    We ask you, O Master remeber O Lord the peace of the one holy catholic and apostolic church

In the mean while the deacon is prayingPray For the peace of the one , holy, catholic, and apostolic Orthodox church of God.

At the First Stop: the priest prays:
    That hich excits from one end of the world to the other. Remember, O  Lord our patriarch, the honored father, the high priest Abba...

In the mean while the deacon is praying
    Pray for our high priest, Papa Abba...pope, patriarch and archbishop of the great city of alexandria, and for our Orthodox Bishops

The Next Stop
    The Priest Prays:
    In keeping, keep him unto us ofr many years and peaceful times. Remember, O Lord, Our Congregations, bless them

Again in thus time the deacon prays:
    Pray for this holy church (monestary) and for our congregations.

The rest of the stops the deaon doesnt pray anything and the priest does his own prayer which is:
    Grant that they may be unto us without obstacle or hindrance, that we may hold them according to your holy  and blessed will. Houses of prayer, houses of purity, houses of blessing, grant them unto us, O Lord, and your sevants who shall come after us forever.

Arise, O Lord God, let all your enemies be scattered and let all that hate you holy name flee from before your face.

but let your people be in blessing thousands of thousand and tenthousands times ten thousands doing your will. By the grace, compassion and love of man kind....

hope this helped reply if u need any more information

GBU
  • i always thought that the deacon was supposed to pray with abouna the whole time they are going around. i have a book that explains it i will have to go back and look at it
  • Sorry Christforlife7 is right. sorry again
  • OK,
    But why do we have to around the alter?? What for?
    Why does the priest have to go around it for?
    Why can't he just say what ever he wants to say just there and then?
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5002.msg67673#msg67673 date=1171637918]
    OK,

it first simplizes how the word of God is going through around the whole world, (a circle around the alter).
    also since we go counterclockwise, it shows how the church is going against time.
  • when the priest moves around, he makes a cross or maybe it has to do something with the trinity, im not sure

hope i helped, prasy for me

EgY
  • actually, its the same symbolism as when the preist and the deacon circle the altar with the cross and gospel right before the reading of the gospel.  It means that together the preist and deacon are both helping spread the word of God.
    Hope that helps

peter
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=minagir link=topic=5002.msg67679#msg67679 date=1171645728]
    [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5002.msg67673#msg67673 date=1171637918]
    OK,

it first simplizes how the word of God is going through around the whole world, (a circle around the alter).
    also since we go counterclockwise, it shows how the church is going against time.

My understanding of it was this: During the Hiten's, the priest and deacon circle the alter to represent the preaching done by the Apostles first in Jerusalem (the altar).  Then, the priest goes out of the altar and circles the entire church to represent the preaching to the Gentiles (the rest of the world).  This make sense because after the Hiten's we read first the Pauline Epistles which Paul wrote.  Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles (i.e. the other nations).  Afterwards we read the Catholic (i.e. Universal) Epistles written by the some of the original 12 disciples (who initally preached within Jerusalem and then, with their letters, preached to the world).  The second time, abouna and the deacon circle only within the altar to symbolise the preaching only within Jerusalem because afterwards we read the Acts of the Apostles, which took place predominately within Jerusalem.

Please pray for me.