The Coptic Church Values and Morals

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello everyone,
I'd really like some help. Does anyone know where we can find the Church values? I.e. the official guide to what the Church considers immoral and sinful??

Would that be the Discolia? I guess its all from the Bible, but as with the catholics, they do have an official book what represents their moral values.

Many thanks for any pointers on this,

Vassilios

Comments

• Perhaps I've confused some people here:

Let's say someone asks me: "What is the official stance of the Coptic Orthodox Church on abortion" ?

(Let's say they wanted proof, or an official text ?)

You see ? What can I give them?
  • The Didache (teachings of the 12 Holy Apostles) explicity forbids the abortion of unborn children, amongst many things.

Whilst the Didache might not be exactly what you were thinking of, I think you will find it is a comprehensive guide of what the early Church considered moral and sinful. It is just as relevant today as it was when it was first promugated by the early Church.

Link: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html
  • Hi Ethanol,

Im not really interested in a particular topic such as abortion. I just gave that as an example. I just need a reference to show others what the orthodox faith stipulates concerning social ethics. There must be a site which says clearly the point of view of the Church concerning everything that concerns topics such as euthanasia, abortion, stem-cell research etc.

If you have any links , please please pass them on.

• I don't know if there's a book that sums all these contemporary issues up.. but I do know that our church fathers wrote about them seperately. I had to do a school assignment early last year on issues like these.. I'll try find my assignment and perhaps gather some work from my classmates... They should have some helpful references. :D
  • there is a book called... "the sayings of the church fathers on..." I think thats the name... I'll check for you... and in this book it talks about a few topics, like abortion... marriage/relationships... divorce.... hagat like that! ill get the exact name and the author later today...
  • Oh well, thank you so much "superman",
    (it sounds corny, but i mean it).

Also if i could have it on pdf format, or on the web, that would be ideal.
    THanks again,
  • Dear Vassilios,

Good question. I have been advised to read the works of H.H. Pope Shenouda III. His works are so good, and so based on scripture. The Coptic Church is much blessed to have such a patriarch, who is not only a man of God, but a great pastor and a great leader.

For the sort of things you mention, I have found His Holiness' MANY YEARS WITH PEOPLE’S QUESTIONS PART III
    SPIRITUAL AND GENERAL QUESTIONS
    a really good guide.

I hope you and others will agree.

In Christ,

John
  • u can always ask ur priest and tasoni, deacons. they no the best.
  • [quote author=Anglican link=board=4;threadid=4901;start=0#msg67177 date=1170802463]
    Dear V***ilios,

Good question. I have been advised to read the works of H.H. Pope Shenouda III. His works are so good, and so based on scripture. The Coptic Church is much blessed to have such a patriarch, who is not only a man of God, but a great pastor and a great leader.

For the sort of things you mention, I have found His Holiness' MANY YEARS WITH PEOPLE’S QUESTIONS PART III
    SPIRITUAL AND GENERAL QUESTIONS
    a really good guide.

I hope you and others will agree.

In Christ,

John

Hello John,
    Thanks for the comment. The issue is that I'd like to evangelise as far as possible, and for me, the best way is to distribute literature. If that book is in PDF format, i'll use it; but i was hoping for something more official. The Pope's books are always excellent; and obviously they are official (He's the Pope!) , but, something that can be seen and acknowledged as the Orthodox "Standards" of morality.

Thanks
  • I think the very expectation for a codified and comprehensive set of moral laws stems from a miscomprehension of the Orthodox view of sin.

Sin, rather than being a legalistic notion distinguishing "wrong" in contrast to "right", and hence a legalistic notion that distinguishes the sinner as "guilty" in contrast to "innocent", is a spiritual sickness in the Orthodox conception.

Sin in Orthodoxy is something personal and situational. Note, that I am not saying morality is relative, but only that it is contextual. Morality cannot therefore be reduced to a categorised list of abstract constructs.

The Orthodox Church, as the body of Christ, is not some static organisation or system, but a mystical, dynamic, and living organism.

This is why you'll find that even in, for example, His Holiness's book that John kindly referred us to, that His Holiness does not just posit theoretical moral instructions, but tries to consistently testify to the essence of morality by explaining how such rules applies in practical situations, and even what circumstances disqualify the legitimate application of certain general moral rules.

In essence, this is the wisdom behind the Church's stress on the Spiritual Father (who is often the Father of Confession). Through consistent consultation with his discerning-spirit, with the assistance of The Holy Spirit, one is able to understand how morality applies to their individual life practically.
  • [quote author=Iqbal link=board=4;threadid=4901;start=0#msg67260 date=1170851304]
    I think the very expectation for a codified and comprehensive set of moral laws stems from a miscomprehension of the Orthodox view of sin.

Sin, rather than being a legalistic notion distinguishing "wrong" in contrast to "right", and hence a legalistic notion that distinguishes the sinner as "guilty" in contrast to "innocent", is a spiritual sickness in the Orthodox conception.

Sin in Orthodoxy is something personal and situational. Note, that I am not saying morality is relative, but only that it is contextual. Morality cannot therefore be reduced to a categorised list of abstract constructs.

The Orthodox Church, as the body of Christ, is not some static organisation or system, but a mystical, dynamic, and living organism.

This is why you'll find that even in, for example, His Holiness's book that John kindly referred us to, that His Holiness does not just posit theoretical moral instructions, but tries to consistently testify to the essence of morality by explaining how such rules applies in practical situations, and even what circumstances disqualify the legitimate application of certain general moral rules.

In essence, this is the wisdom behind the Church's stress on the Spiritual Father (who is often the Father of Confession). Through consistent consultation with his discerning-spirit, with the ***istance of The Holy Spirit, one is able to understand how morality applies to their individual life practically.

Iqbal,

Thanks for your response.

Perhaps if I just give you some scope as to the situation, then you'll see what i need.

Our Church has views on homosexuality, stem cell research, euthanasia, ordination on women priests, chastity, etc.. these are all issues that are relevant to us. In the highly unlikely event that someone wishes to know the orthodox perspective on any of the above issues , or any other moral / ethical issue, then do we have an official book for this that has a summary of our stance?

What can we give someone who wants to know the "official" view of our Church concerning moral/ethical issues? If we were to say "read the bible" the problem then arises that other denominations have read the same Bible as us, and have misinterpreted it differently; thus we are still indifferent.

Do you see what i mean? I don't particulary have a problem distinguishing between wrong and right; but what if another denomination or sister Church wishes to know our view point where there's may differ to ours? What can we give them to say :"Look: this is not my personal opinion: the Coptic Orthodox Church views ((SUCH AND SUCH)) an issue as .....etc.etc..."

Thanks
  • [quote author=vassilios link=board=4;threadid=4901;start=0#msg67262 date=1170852370]
    Do you see what i mean? I don't particulary have a problem distinguishing between wrong and right; but what if another denomination or sister Church wishes to know our view point where there's may differ to ours? What can we give them to say :"Look: this is not my personal opinion: the Coptic Orthodox Church views ((SUCH AND SUCH)) an issue as .....etc.etc..."

Thanks

there is many books for HH. there is dogmatic books from our church fathers that can be used as a source for all things. mostly in arabic yes, but there is enough in english for someone to understand our faith.
  • Dear Vassilios,

His Holiness' book on 'Homosexuality' is a superb statement of the view of the Church; indeed, I recommended it to an acquaintance who was tormented by such thoughts, and after reading it he said he now knew and understood where such thoughts were wrong, and he would pray for help - which he got. That seems a pretty powerful witness.

His Holiness has also written on the folly of Women's Ordination and other moral issues; I'm sure your priest will put you onto sources where you can buy them.

The following website offers a chance to buy a cd-rom which has all the most important books by His Holiness http://www.stmarkmi.org/

It is a really great resource for all Christians.

In Christ,

John