Who is your best cantor of alhan?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
hey guys
I was wonder about who do you think is the best cantor for alhan? who has the best voice?

I think for myself is cantor Ibrahim ayad because of his very pleasent voice and also he encourages me to learn alhan.

So how about each of you?

Comments

• i agree with you but there are are also others that i think are good like Cantor Gad (can't remember his last name) but i think Ibrahim Ayad has more of a variaty of alhan like he has a lot and is much more well know for alhan.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness,

• i agree with you but there are are also others that i think are good like Cantor Gad (can't remember his last name)

his last name is lewis
  • I personally don't like Ibrahim Ayad, he shows off his voice too much, he says hymns too slow and sometimes he kinda changes the hymn around, I prefer HICS, they're AMAZING, I learn everything from them, and I mean everything, from Pekethronos to lipon. I find single people much harder to learn from since the hymn can be changed around by them unintentionally, but when it's a group, it's perfect for learning. Just my opinion though.
  • I also dont believe that Ibrahim Ayad is the best cantor. There is a college graduate in my church who has even a better voice than him. his name is Amir Behkit. His voice is on coptic hymns.net . Ibrahim ayad's son has a better voice than his father.
  • There is the SHAMAS 3ezat 3azmi ( I think that is his name, somebody correct me if I am wrong)!

His voice is great, and The meanings of the words he use are WONDERFULL!!

pray for me
  • Also there is this Female here name is "nevin"! ( sorry i don't know the rest of her name)

She is good!
  • THE VERY BEST:
    HCOC (best choir ever!!!)
    Muallem Gad Lewis (deep, full of energy, and excellent teacher!)
    Muallem Tewfik youssef (such a powerful, moving voice)
    HICS (old school)
  • hi all
    i think mo3alem Gad lewis also el mo3alem Zaher andrawes has a great voice and well spoken coptic words
  • guys, who is zaher anderawes?
  • i like ibrahim ayad, and cantor gad is good also

However, my favorite is a deacon in my church named Ameer Bekhit
  • [quote author=baladoos link=board=2;threadid=4574;start=0#msg66548 date=1169592048]
    guys, who is zaher anderawes?

he is a cantor at the youth bishopric.he has a very nice voice but many people don`t consider him a good source.u can find many hymns by him at the youth bishopric site
    http://www.alhan-youthbishopric.com/alhan/

i think u have already registered Hany ;)
  • i also heard of wagdi bishara he also has a really nice voice but i like ibrahim ayad also..but even more..i love his Sons voice *when he was small) i think i just had a dream about them btw ..lol we were having a competition (singing competion) ..THEY WON :(
  • im not rely sure. there all good. but to god theyre all equal to his eyes.

sister in christ----- pray for me
  • 1- HCOC (coptic heritage)
    2- Antoun Ibrahim ( Ibrahim Ayad's son)

No one beats Coptic heritage
    they have all the hymns and they have LESSONS

Plus Antoun Ibrahim has by far the best voice ever (when he was young that is) :)
  • [quote author=shybox link=board=2;threadid=4574;start=0#msg67124 date=1170728364]
    1- HCOC (coptic heritage)
    2- Antoun Ibrahim ( Ibrahim Ayad's son)

No one beats Coptic heritage
    they have all the hymns and they have LESSONS

Plus Antoun Ibrahim has by far the best voice ever (when he was young that is) :)

lol, ur so far out of it,
  • hmmmmmmmm there are a lot of good cantors but they are not judged based on their voices. Cantors are judged based on their ability to teach alhan, coptic and other spritual lessons. Ibrahim Ayad and the Boharic Cantors are the closest to the correct pronouciation and the correct ways of singing alhan.
  • Farag, Tewfik
    And you can never go wrong with HICS (except for Cyril mass lol)
  • To all who think Ibrahim Ayaad is a "showoff with his solo parts":

P.S What I am about to say is not from opinion but from research.

The reason Ibrahim Ayaad does solo parts and alternates with the chorus is that he is following the oldest and first type of singing that was started by the early Coptic Orthodox Church. The types of singing are:

1. Responsorial Singing: Started by the early Coptic Orthodox Church, which Ibrahim Ayaad and the chorus are doing, is when the mu'allem or the leader of the chorus alternates by with chorus (the leader a part by himself, the chorus a part by themselves).

2. Two Group Singing: Started when everyone began to think that the cantor is not humble and is showing off with his voice.

3. One Group Singing: Started when deacons started to yell over the leader’s voice in the two-group singing. It is also meant for the deacon who sings the psalm on every occasion and meant for the priest as well.

P.S: I think that we should keep the way of the church as it began, especially in this day of age because everyone is against the Coptic Orthodox church of God. I hope that my research has not gone to waste and that we should started singing in the responsorial way. I also think that we should stop thinking that someone is showing up with his voice anytime someone says anything long or by himelf, we are not here to judge each other but pray to the Everlasting God. Please let me know if after reading this, your church starts using Responsorial Singing. God bless you all.
  • St. Mary Church in East Brunswick, NJ already does the "Responsorial Singing" on feast days, and such.  The leader on the north side alternates with the Chorus (comprised of males and females) on the south side in singing the alhan.

Isn't the alternating of north and south supposed to symbolize the Cherubim and Seraphim praising God in heaven?  Does anyone know which one is symbolized by the north and which one is symbolized by the south?
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=4574.msg67620#msg67620 date=1171561275]
    To all who think Ibrahim Ayaad is a "showoff with his solo parts":

The reason Ibrahim Ayaad does solo parts and alternates with the chorus is that he is following the oldest and first type of singing that was started by the early Coptic Orthodox Church. The types of singing are:

i wouls love to know who told you that. Ibrahim Ayad himslef would not agree with this statment.

P.S: I think that we should keep the way of the church as it began, especially in this day of age because everyone is against the Coptic Orthodox church of God. I hope that my research has not gone to waste and that we should started singing in the responsorial way. I also think that we should stop thinking that someone is showing up with his voice anytime someone says anything long or by himelf, we are not here to judge each other but pray to the Everlasting God. Please let me know if after reading this, your church starts using Responsorial Singing. God bless you all.

Responsorial Singing was only used through out time becasue there wasn't that much people intrested in all of these stuff. also hymns were very hard to lern. there was no way that you can find a muallem sing with another muallem at all becasue they never had the same way of hymns since they were always away from each other. so it was never possible to make the chorus that you would be able to have right now adays.

the refrence for the Two Group Singing: , which  i am sure have anther name, started int eh bible in :

Isaiah 6:1-4
    ... And they were calling [glow=brown,1,100]to one another[/glow]: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

it doesn't say every one by himself but all of them. also it says "of their voices " not his voice.

kmeka001, am not saying that it's worng or am againsted, i persoanly love listenng to my church's deacons alone. they sound awsome.  am just saying that your reasoning for this is totally worng.
  • I agree with minagir i have never heard that before.